Low Idle / Rough Running / Gas Smell - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Low Idle / Rough Running / Gas Smell

Two months ago, I purchased a '92 VN750 with a little over 7,000 miles on it from a friend. I replaced tires, fluids, foam air filters, etc. and the bike ran great. A ride on a cool Saturday morning was wonderful - engine seemed to run perfectly.

Sunday afternoon ride was different. Bike idles (usually) at just a little over the 1,000 RPM mark on the tach. I had ridden about 6 miles, came to a stop and noticed engine seemed rough. After another 10 miles, I came to a stop and engine was running rough and idle had dropped to less than half the distance between the 1,000 RPM mark and 0 (closer to 0) - and I could smell gas. I headed home. As long as I was running at least 55 mph in 5th gear, I kept moving, but any time I had to slow down or stop, I had to open the throttle to keep the engine up to 1,000 RPM.

Got home and let bike sit while still running. Idle was close to 0 on tach, then died. I could restart, but idle remained low. Started looking around and found that vent hose that runs from carbs to right air filter housing had small amount of liquid (presumed gas although smell wasn't strong) dripping out (just a drop or two). Haven't restarted since. Also noticed that circlips that (I think) hold throttle butterfly in place on right-side carb were damp, assumed it was gas.

Of course I am looking for suggestions as to the problem and a fix.

Thanks.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
i'm not expert on this but it sounds like one of the cilinders flooding due to clogged float valve not closing (anyone please correct me). i would try to put some seafoam in the tank before anything else.

lets wait on expert opinion

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 01:41 PM
"ya can't live forever"

Check for clogged air filters.....check plugs if black and sooty ....af/s are clogged or idle is too rich.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Once Banned

Does sound like crud in the carbs. Do like Tankist says. Put 3 oz Seafoam to a tank of gas. Also, check your oil level to make sure the flooding didn't get into the crankcase.

Before running the bike again, drain what is in each carb into a small container. See if one drains more than the other (stuck float), and see how the gas looks - any crud. Try to start the bike - you may have to crank it for a short time to release fuel back into the carbs.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 04:44 PM

Ditto on the float problem.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 05:53 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Ditto on the ditto.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 06:03 AM
Geek

Ditto on the...ah forget it.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Here's what I tried:

I drained both carbs. The drained fuel looked okay. Then I shot Gumout carb cleaner through the drain hole until it came out the vent hose (sort of reminded me of what happens when you drink milk and laugh). I added the Seafoam to the tank (I would add Seafoam to the tires if I thought it would help) and cranked it until it started. I rode about 17 miles last night and idle seemed to be where it should be. Engine still seemed to run a little rough, but the idle was just a tick over 1,000 RPM on the tach. Will it continue to run? I guess I will just have to continue to ride and see. I do think I will probably have to take the carbs apart and check the floats since I think that is where the problem really lies. Let the good times roll!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 10:46 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMech
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Here's what I tried:

I drained both carbs. The drained fuel looked okay. Then I shot Gumout carb cleaner through the drain hole until it came out the vent hose (sort of reminded me of what happens when you drink milk and laugh). I added the Seafoam to the tank (I would add Seafoam to the tires if I thought it would help) and cranked it until it started. I rode about 17 miles last night and idle seemed to be where it should be. Engine still seemed to run a little rough, but the idle was just a tick over 1,000 RPM on the tach. Will it continue to run? I guess I will just have to continue to ride and see. I do think I will probably have to take the carbs apart and check the floats since I think that is where the problem really lies. Let the good times roll!
let's say it like this - i read a lot of miracle stories here and some other MC forums. my carbs are fine (PO claims they were cleaned and adjusted this spring) but i still use it every other or 2 fillups and the bike is still in one piece and runs great. ohhh... and this stuff revived my lawnmower. sounds like it was a part of a solution for you too.
another miracle storie about dodging carb rebuild perhaps?

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 10:59 AM

since taking the advice of the people here and adding seafoam to my bike...I actually notice the difference if I do not put it in....I love the stuff

TrashLord
Connecticut
93 VN750
66K miles VROC#21253
Memphis Shades Demon Gradient Black Shield
leather cup holder
SOLD and missed
still got the cupholder waiting for next bike lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement