Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

My Project bike potential problem

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  new rider 9984 
#1 · (Edited)
So It looks like I have a buyer for my project bike I fixed up last Summer. I got it out today to show it to him and put the trickle charger on it. I started it up before he got there to run it through it's paces and I kept getting a very loud POP from the left side exhaust. Dam near sounded like a gun going off, and it happened a few times. After running it and taking it around the block it seemed to stop doing it. Then when I parked it I noticed smoke coming from around the exhaust flange, so I guess the new gasket I put in isn't doing it's job and is leaking. Would that along cause such a loud backfire or do you think because it sat for 2 months maybe the carb is the issue? :doh:
Also it has Jardine pipes on it (both exit on right) and it never did this before after I got it running again. I'm hoping it will just go away.

#2 ·
You mentioned that you put it on a trickle charger, did you ck to see what the statis of the battery was before starting it? A low battery may still be just enough to get it going and will cause some pretty loud backfiring! Mine did that after I first bought it(back fire very loud sometimes, cold or warm start). I knew from day one the batt was weak and as soon as installing a new one (agm) all that stoped. Probably if is is running rich(you said left side) that would aggrivate it too. I would suggest charging that batt to it's fullest and try it again.

#3 ·
Stuck float for sure....cyl/exhaust will fill with gas, and when it eventually ignites, well, kaboom....I done it plenny of times....even with flames, lol...if it ran well after riding a bit, its prolly only partially stuck....backblow it...

#4 ·
That was my thought exactly. I think I scared the crap out a few people that were in the lot behind my house. They probably ran for cover!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.