Carb idea - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Carb idea

So here I am AGAIN with the carbs off because of a stuck float, this time. Last time was for general cleaning.

What a joke the carb set up on these bikes is!!! In all of my 57 years of riding I have never seen such BS just to get gas and air into a cylinder.

Why doesn't someone make a manifold to run a single carb? It would not be that hard to do. If I still lived in the States, I would be making one right now!!
I would use aluminum tubing the same size of the spicot on the head. Rub a "U" shape from the front cylinder straight out the right side of the engine. This tube would be connected to the head using the stock rubber.
The rear tube would be welded to the from tube and use the stock rubber also.
I would use the little 6mm bolt holding what looks like an oil line at the bottom of the rear cylinder for a bottom support (you don't need much cause the rubbers are fairly strong.

You have plenty of room to cut the main tube short so the carb would sit in without the air cleaner bothering your right leg.

The carb I would use would be the CV that comes stock on Harleys. GREAT CARB and could be picked up plenty cheap from the fools that take them off to put on a S&S or Mikuni. I have had guys give me these carbs before and I have put them on many bikes in the past. You can get parts at any Harley Dealer and the jets are cheap. If the carb works on an 80 incher.....should work just fine on a 40 incher!!!!

The list of air cleaners that are out there for Harleys is very long, so you would have many to choose from.

Just think about how easy it would be to work on your bike and how much better it would look!!

This would be the ultimate earshave!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Old Fart

Garage
You're not the first to suggest this (maybe 20th?) although I don't recall anyone actually doing it.

I solved the issue myself by trading for a bike with fuel injection and swearing to never buy a carbed bike again.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
You're not the first to suggest this (maybe 20th?) although I don't recall anyone actually doing it.

I solved the issue myself by trading for a bike with fuel injection and swearing to never buy a carbed bike again.
If you ever had a dead battery in the middle of nowhere you would wish you had that carb'd bike again. Happened to me a few times, roll start and away I went.

I will say though FI bikes are nice, I am better at playing with carbs and jets though.

kenny

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
If you ever had a dead battery in the middle of nowhere you would wish you had that carb'd bike again. Happened to me a few times, roll start and away I went.

I will say though FI bikes are nice, I am better at playing with carbs and jets though.

kenny
I gotta go with Knife on this one.....
No more carbs for me either.... FI all the way!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 PM

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
I gotta go with Knife on this one.....
No more carbs for me either.... FI all the way!
Until your battery craps out in the middle of nowhere

I got my first atv with FI, absolutely hate it, cold start is a problem, warm start is a problem, nail the throttle and it falls on its face or stalls.

I could normally fix all of this with A/F, jets and needle, but now I got this fancy computer thing haha

kenny
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Talking

Are you sure your name isn't Kenny....but is "Jerry" ?? LOL

Guess you just had a crappy ATV. Every FI bike I've had startred first time, every time be it 90 degrees out or 9.

And in case you missed it, you can buy little control boxes that plug into that "computer" that allow you pick your fuel air mixture for EVERY rpm. Want it a bit richer from 1263 RPMs to 1397 RPMs? Not a problem.

The real cool part of FI now is you can have a choice by a flick of the button whether you want to get the best gas mileage while touring or get the most power while carving up twisties.

It also makes things like traction control and cruise control alot cheaper to install.

Fuk carbs. Keep them if you want, but keep them away from me....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 01-12-2013 at 12:21 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Banned

^ what he said...
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Are you sure your name isn't Kenny....but is "Jerry" ?? LOL

Guess you just had a crappy ATV. Every FI bike I've had startred first time, every time be it 90 degrees out or 9.

And in case you missed it, you can buy little control boxes that plug into that "computer" that allow you pick your fuel air mixture for EVERY rpm. Want it a bit richer from 1263 RPMs to 1397 RPMs? Not a problem.

The real cool part of FI now is you can have a choice by a flick of the button whether you want to get the best gas mileage while touring or get the most power while carving up twisties.

It also makes things like traction control and cruise control alot cheaper to install.

Fuk carbs. Keep them if you want, but keep them away from me....
Who is Jerry?

I do not mind FI on cars, but for small engines man I love the carbs. Maybe I am weird but all traction control does is make it easier for people who do not know how to drive, give me standard non abs braking and no traction control any day. I did tests on this and I proved I can stop faster in snow then the abs can....smart computer is only as good as the inputs and the ABS on cars is made to let the user stay in control not stop faster. Traction control - is that the thing that cuts the fuel when there is snow on the road and you start spinning, another stupid idea, how are the tires going to self clean with no spinning to eject frozen slush / mud.

Anyway.... I tweaked my bike to have as much power as I could squeeze out of it, I did it with jets and A/F adjustments. needle shims. The guy at the dyno shop asked who did the work, when I said me he was flabbergasted on how dead on I got it.

Knife actually my ATV has an aftermarket control box, been there done that and I am STILL tweaking it, it seems to load up too much when cold, chugs when it does start and if I nail the throttle it stalls, maybe still too lean on fast throttle advance.

You seem to claim to know all about this stuff about FI, you got a few minutes to check my settings?

I would be happy to let you look at them and I can tell you what the ATV is doing.

The atv is not crappy, With the stock ECU I can start it with throttle input, but when cold if I did not let it warm up for like 10 minutes it would not go... it would stall.

So because of those problems with the stock ECU I got an after market one with a different injector, actually the same injector on the M109R...

Anyway if you are interested in helping out that would be great... let me know here is a link to my settings that work well for warmer weather > 50F outside.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/o...tled-2copy.jpg

I dont want this thread to become about my ATV so I will make a new thread

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...284#post236284

Quote:
^^ im with him
Dariv, you too can look at those ATV settings and let me know what you think, I appreciate the help from you FI experts... like I said carb issues, no problem FI - urg... not my cup o tea.

thank you guys, Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement