Longer range tank??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
keith68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Burleson, TX
Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)
 
Longer range tank???

Was there ever an aftermarket tank made, or can some other bike's tank be adapted to the VN750? I really like my Vulcan, but I'm sick of the short range. I have to make too many gas stops just for a "typical" weekend day ride. There's got to be a better way. I'm getting about 120 miles indicated before going on reserve, which I understand to be pretty typical.

'97 VN750 (current)
'84 CB650SC (gone)
'94 KDX200 (gone)
'77 GS400 (gone-but would've been a GREAT cafe project)
'88 RM125 (gone)
keith68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Prowling Tiger
 
blazblu82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,048
iTrader: (4)
 
This bike did not have much aftermarket support. As far as I know, no one made a different tank. If one is found with a different tank, more than likely it was adapted to the bike. At least it's not a Hardley 72. that thing has a 2.1 gallon tank paired with a 1200 CC motor. 48 MPG combined in town and hi-way. Nothing compared to our VN750's.

I only understand what I don't understand.
blazblu82 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 12:42 PM
..have a vulcan good day!
 
WilliamTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL.
Posts: 4,508
iTrader: (17)
   
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith68 View Post
Was there ever an aftermarket tank made, or can some other bike's tank be adapted to the VN750? I really like my Vulcan, but I'm sick of the short range. I have to make too many gas stops just for a "typical" weekend day ride. There's got to be a better way. I'm getting about 120 miles indicated before going on reserve, which I understand to be pretty typical.
You join many in that thought, 120 miles is typical, SlimVulcanRider, as well as a few others, may know/offer some knowledge on this subject.

enjoy
WilliamTech

Last edited by WilliamTech; 11-22-2012 at 12:51 PM.
WilliamTech is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,679
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
There is no bolt on aftermarket bigger tank.

I have seen a few larger tanks that owners created by cutting the stock tank up and welding in pieces to make it bigger. As far as I know, that's pretty much your only option other than modding another tank to fit somehow.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is online now  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
There is no bolt on aftermarket bigger tank.

I have seen a few larger tanks that owners created by cutting the stock tank up and welding in pieces to make it bigger. As far as I know, that's pretty much your only option other than modding another tank to fit somehow.
^^X2.... that is how i am going about getting a larger tank. I have seen the VN800 and 1500 tanks mounted to the bike.. but they didn't fallow the lines of the VN750 very well, and looked very out of place.
slimvulcanrider is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GreenwoodFrickinLakeNY
Posts: 10,354
iTrader: (8)
   
Paughco.com has a few decent looking large tanks with a wide tunnel (thats whats needed to sit right since the wishbone frame vs the single backbone). Or, you can get a 2-piece Harley tank, then make something to fill in between (to replace where the dash would go).
Orrrrrrrr.....you can mount an aux tank remotely.



Wolfie is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Patriot Guard Rider
 
The DEUCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 825
iTrader: (20)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
^^X2.... that is how i am going about getting a larger tank. I have seen the VN800 and 1500 tanks mounted to the bike.. but they didn't fallow the lines of the VN750 very well, and looked very out of place.
I tried to work a deal the junkyardroad to modify a stock tank as he did in the link below to no avail.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17254



Where did you see the 800 and 1500 tanks at? I'm waiting to come across a 1500 and see what I can do with it.

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
The DEUCE is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
MY Big Tank talks about putting a VN1500 fuel tank onto the VN750... the picture links no longer work.
slimvulcanrider is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)
 
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but if I follow ing thejunkyardroad footprints would it be possible to use a different fuel cap that is vented to eliminate the POOGS that i have expwerienced
Maybe something close to this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELD-IN-LOCK...8fbe5c&vxp=mtr

use the vented style
hwyman is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 AM
..have a vulcan good day!
 
WilliamTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL.
Posts: 4,508
iTrader: (17)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyman View Post
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but if I follow ing thejunkyardroad footprints would it be possible to use a different fuel cap that is vented to eliminate the POOGS that i have expwerienced
Maybe something close to this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELD-IN-LOCK...8fbe5c&vxp=mtr

use the vented style
Looks/Sounds like a plan !


Last edited by WilliamTech; 02-11-2013 at 11:29 AM.
WilliamTech is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome