Does this sound like POOGS? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Does this sound like POOGS?

I've had a project bike that I've been working on for close to a year now; '93 with 8,500 miles. Needless to say that judging by that description alone, one can assume that at some point it has sat for awhile with little usage.

History so far: I've thrown lots of parts at it getting it to running condition once again; new battery, plugs, wires, starter relay, regulator/rectifier, performed the pickup coil mod, and then finally went as far as having the carb cleaned and rebuilt. Turned out that it was only running on one cylinder because of a previously, poorly installed diaphragm.

So she finally runs! I took it out yesterday for the very first time, ever, and drove it through my neighborhood a bit just to see how it ran. I got maybe an 1/8th mile's distance away from the house, and it began to sputter as if it were running out of gas- much like the "POOGS" symptoms describe. So as it begins to sputter a bit, my first reaction (as I'm sure is everyone's initial reaction) was to give it a little more gas. I pulled the throttle a bit, and as I'm attempting to give it MORE gas, the sputtering worsens, and it almost dies completely. So I immediately let off, and the rpm's come back up, and it sounds as though it's back to normal.... then it starts to sputter and die again. I do the same thing, and get the same results (not that I expected any less). Then after the third time it manages to recover by itself, it finally does cut off and I coast to a safe stop.

Then after just a few seconds of sitting still, I hit start and it fires right back up like nothing ever happened!

So my question here is: "Although this obviously has the POOGS symptoms, is it normal for the symptoms to worsen when attempting to give it gas?"

I've searched many stories involving POOGS, and I couldn't find one where somebody noticed the same thing that I did. I guess I just wanted someone to confirm what I'm pretty sure I already know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Could be, kind of sounds like it- but I only had POOGS on the freeway at over 70 MPH. It does get worse if you give it more throttle. If you have CA emissions (two vent lines coming out in front of the seat,) disonnect the one on the right and run a new line down and out the bottom of the bike.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Prowling Tiger

Might want to disassemble the gas cap. there is a thread here about how to clean it. Also, try running some compressed air thru the tank vent.

I only understand what I don't understand.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

yea sounds like poogs to me
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 11:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
The symptoms sound like POOGS, and YES applying more throttle will just make the sputtering worse, because the engine is starving for fuel and your tell it to go faster. However, you did not tell us the level of fuel in the gas tank, which has a lot to do with whether it is POOGS or not. If the tank was at 1/2 full or less, then there is a high likelihood that the root source of the problem is POOGS related. If the tank was full, then the problem may not be POOGS related. Either way, testing for POOGS is simple: ride with the gas filler cap open. The fix for POOGS is also simple (on a non-CA model) and takes about 15 minutes (see forum sticky on POOGS).

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 PM

Did you happen to notice what the engine's rpms were when this started?
Oops, old post sorry. I ASSume you figured it out by now

Last edited by Green1; 09-21-2012 at 07:54 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Prowling Tiger

How much gas in the tank? POOG's really doesn't show until you get below half a tank. If you had a full tank and still having those symptoms, could be something unrelated.

I only understand what I don't understand.

Last edited by blazblu82; 09-22-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement