Occasional sticking float normal? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Occasional sticking float normal?

Its been about 6 months since I mailed my carbs off to Steve Reed, famous Vulcan carb expert for overhaul. They'd previously become goobered up with old California gas. The bike has run well since until this weekend. On start up I wasn't getting anything on the front cylinder. I drained the front float bowl and then back flushed it with carb cleaner (thankfully the straw fits perfectly up the bowl drain tube). After that the front cylinder ran mostly good, although would bounce slightly on idle. Went for a ride on the freeway and now idle seems very stable. I've been running 1/2 can of Seafoam per tank of gas (usually low octane Chevron). I also installed inline filters about 3 months ago. I inspected them and they were clear.

So, is an occasional sticky float just normal on these bikes?

-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
No!!!!!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Its been about 6 months since I mailed my carbs off to Steve Reed, famous Vulcan carb expert for overhaul. They'd previously become goobered up with old California gas. The bike has run well since until this weekend. On start up I wasn't getting anything on the front cylinder. I drained the front float bowl and then back flushed it with carb cleaner (thankfully the straw fits perfectly up the bowl drain tube). After that the front cylinder ran mostly good, although would bounce slightly on idle. Went for a ride on the freeway and now idle seems very stable. I've been running 1/2 can of Seafoam per tank of gas (usually low octane Chevron). I also installed inline filters about 3 months ago. I inspected them and they were clear.

So, is an occasional sticky float just normal on these bikes?

-Robert

No.

I used only two "shots" of SeaFoam every other tankfull and had no problems. Perhaps you need to clean your tank?

You might have worn needle valves that should be replaced. I had the same problem with my S2 and after looking at the needle valve to the float under a jewelers loupe I could see a thin groove running around the point. After replacing both the needle and the seat the problem never returned.

Knifemaker

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
No!!!!!
Quote:
No.

I used only two "shots" of SeaFoam every other tankfull and had no problems.
HorseShet ! Plain and simple...yes, they DO stick at times, always on the front carb and mostly on 87 and before models (which some here have no clue of since many have newer models)...again, the pathetic "blanket statements"...

You didnt specify your year, btw...why ???
Anyway...if you keep an older bike on the sidestand, as most do, crap seems to always happen on the left (front) carb... I sometimes get away with tapping it with the butt end of a ratchet, at times...Ive completely disassembled and cleaned mine, and no flaws..the float needle on the left carb seems to wear sooner, thus allowing particles to jam easier...
This happens to me often...(I have an 85)... all I need to do is drain the gas from that carb, remove the air intake, and blow backwards thru the drain...works for another 500 miles at least...

Please state the year and milage of yer bike from now on, thanks...makes a difference...

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Please state the year and milage of yer bike from now on, thanks...makes a difference...
This is a 94. It had been sitting on the side stand for about a month. I went up To Canada with my son for 2 weeks canoeing.

-Robert
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
No.

I used only two "shots" of SeaFoam every other tankfull and had no problems. Perhaps you need to clean your tank?
Knifemaker
X2
I have a 94 and do this on a regular basis also. Sounds like you might need to pull them again if it continues.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
X2
I have a 94 and do this on a regular basis also. Sounds like you might need to pull them again if it continues.
I guess I'll keep an eye on it and if it does it again will pull the carbs. Maybe it was a one off. Reed inspected the float assembly on the rebuild and I've only put a few hundred miles on the bike since so I'm hoping the possibility of a warn part is low.

-Robert
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Well, its been awhile and the issue has not reoccured. I wonder if it was the result of sitting too long. My son and I had gone to Canada to canoe and the bike ended up sitting for about 6 weeks. I run a healthy mixture of Seafoam in every tank though and have filters on the line. I just hope it was a one off and won't happen again.

-Robert
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well glad it's working OK again. It's a debatable practice to drain the carbs if you plan on having the bike sit for more than a month. My choice here would be to drain the float bowls, and pour in some straight SeaFoam....my older choice was to pour a little two stroke oil in instead.

I've never been a fan of the inline fuel filters. Especially the small ones. I do however like clear fuel lines....if you suspect there's crap in your tank, you should clean it out.

The carbs on these bikes do seem to be kinda finicky....especially on older bikes. Thus the general reccomendation of SeaFoam use.....the crap they sell for gasoline nowadays ain't helping either....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Banned

Common sense would say no, but that may not be the case. I am gone a lot, sometimes 2-3 weeks at the time. When let set forthat long, I have found my bike can be very hard to start, even with Seafoam in the gas. When it does start, it often starts on one cylinder, and sometimes runs that way for a couple of minutes with the choke off. It can be either cylinder. I have begun to believe that either the floats are sticking, or the needle valves are. After 2-3 weeks, the float bowls are going to be empty, because the gas will have evaporated through the float bowl vent. It is NOT an ignition problem, because I have a good spark to both cylinders. It has done this for years. I am going to try to track it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement