Found my bike leaking gas today - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Found my bike leaking gas today

I got home from filling it up and noticed small splatters on the ground coming from the left side of the bike. I watched where the drops are coming from and it appears to come from underneath the tank somewhere. The mounting bolt under the seat is all wet so is the lip on the left side.

So, I got something to fix. I know the tank is easily removable; however, I just topped the thing off with gas. Is there a procedure for draining the gas into a gas can to make it lighter?

Hopefully all I need are new hoses. Thankfully, this eliminates the idea of the front bevel case leaking oil. It was just tarnish from the gas dripping. Found a trail of it going up underneath the tank.

Thanks

I only understand what I don't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Try this
http://www.harborfreight.com/fluid-s...ump-93290.html

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
Did you read the reviews? Customers claim gas melts the pump. Certainly, their has to be a way to drain the thing. If worse comes to worse, I'll siphoon it out myself with a hose.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Drain the gas by Pulling one of the fuel lines off the petcock and attaching a longer hose to stick in a gas can.

If your petcock lacks the "Prime" feature, pull the vacuum line off the petcock, attach another piece of hose and lightly suck on the end to start the fuel flowing. I took one of those "ear and nose" bulbs (like a tiny turkey baster) and squeezed it before sticking in the line..... this maintains a vacuum letting the gas flow without you having to stand there with a tube in your mouth....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Drain the gas by Pulling one of the fuel lines off the petcock and attaching a longer hose to stick in a gas can.

If your petcock lacks the "Prime" feature, pull the vacuum line off the petcock, attach another piece of hose and lightly suck on the end to start the fuel flowing. I took one of those "ear and nose" bulbs (like a tiny turkey baster) and squeezed it before sticking in the line..... this maintains a vacuum letting the gas flow without you having to stand there with a tube in your mouth....

KM
Thanks for the info. My bike does not have the "Prime" setting. So to drain, I pull off a fuel line, attach a longer piece and turn petcock to "Run" to begin draining? Thanks again!

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
Thanks for the info. My bike does not have the "Prime" setting. So to drain, I pull off a fuel line, attach a longer piece and turn petcock to "Run" to begin draining? Thanks again!
Yes, but you need to apply vacuum to the vacuum line on the petcock. Fuel wont flow unless you do. (a turkey baster works too )

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 07:39 PM

If it's rust thats causing the leak (usually happens first at the lowest point of the tank on the petcock side...or on Cali models near the rear vent tube), then dont drain it all thru the line...leave a lil in, remove the entire petcock, and finish draining that way...you'll get out some of the crud that way.
I found pinholes just behind my petcock area...sealed em up with 2 layers of JB Weld (once to plug (pushed in a bit) than a coat over the whole area. But I cant see yer tank being that rusty unless it sat outside for many years. Yers is fairly new...but the weld by the rear vent could be cracked if its a Cali model.

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

I was afraid my tank might be cracked. I have yet to look at it. Ill report tomorrow.

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
you said you just filled the tank full with gas.. sounds like it might be leaking through the tank vent system through the cap.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
you said you just filled the tank full with gas.. sounds like it might be leaking through the tank vent system through the cap.
After reading some about the tank vent lines, I believe that may be the culprit. I have had the seat off and do not recall ever seeing a tube coming from back of tank. I even took the time to blow thru the tank nipple and the air escaping sounded like it was there at the nipple and not further back. So, my guess would be the gas is running down the surge tank and dripping right above the left exhaust.

The summer here in Derby/Wichita area has been really hot. Close to 110 most days with the garage reaching close to 120 degrees F. My folks have commented several times since I bought the bike back in April that the garage has been smelling gassy, but thought it was just the lawnmower. Now the blame has shifted to my bike (yeah...) Although, even if the vent tube is missing, it won't prevent the garage from smelling gassy. It just means the venting system is doing its job.

Next update will be after I pull the tank tomorrow.

Peace

Last edited by blazblu82; 08-04-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement