Throttle cable strings - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Throttle cable strings

I am referring to the springs that run along side the cylinder head and behind the right ear for the throttle cables.

I am considering cutting them off. For one, I believe they are vibrating against the back side of the ear and the cylinder head. It is incredibly annoying. They vibrate worse at around 3500 to 4500 RPM's. I need to do something, the noise is driving me batty! Really sounds like something is wrong, but I can't find anything loose externally and the motor is performing fine.

Any other ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

EDIT: Holy fumbling fingers, Batman! I meant "Springs" in the title, not strings! LOL!

I only understand what I don't understand.

Last edited by blazblu82; 07-31-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:08 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
I am referring to the springs that run along side the cylinder head and behind the right ear for the throttle cables.

I am considering cutting them off. For one, I believe they are vibrating against the back side of the ear and the cylinder head. It is incredibly annoying. They vibrate worse at around 3500 to 4500 RPM's. I need to do something, the noise is driving me batty! Really sounds like something is wrong, but I can't find anything loose externally and the motor is performing fine.

Any other ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

EDIT: Holy fumbling fingers, Batman! I meant "Springs" in the title, not strings! LOL!
Suggest balancing your carbs.....that may be the culpret !

WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 AM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
WT--balance the carbs? Explain more please!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeobravo172 View Post
WT--balance the carbs? Explain more please!
Balancing the carb's often reduces vibrations created within our engines.
I stopped my lic. plate from further cracking /falling off via a Carb Balance.
It is a process of equalizing the vacuum between the two carb
's at idle. Can be done for $5.00 or less. There are a few verse's on "How to"..
.. check it out.
hope this helps

WilliamTech

-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 AM
romeobravo172

I think before I cut them off I would try to isolate them from any rubbing or vibrating, like maybe taping them to ear to see if that is the prob. Think they serve as a heat shield as they run right against the head. You mentioned the rpm's and that caught my eye! When was the last time you had your tank off? And are you sure the rubber cushions inside the bolt wings are there or are in the right place?

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 AM
romeobravo172

WT, Thanks, did not know that carbs out of balance would cause vibration. That has been on my short list of things to do for a while. Wanted to ck that just to make sure they were in sinc, will def do it soon. Thanks

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
I think before I cut them off I would try to isolate them from any rubbing or vibrating, like maybe taping them to ear to see if that is the prob. Think they serve as a heat shield as they run right against the head. You mentioned the rpm's and that caught my eye! When was the last time you had your tank off? And are you sure the rubber cushions inside the bolt wings are there or are in the right place?
I have never had the tank off. I'm gonna look around some more tomorrow. The tank is nearly full with gas. I'll wait to remove it when it has less.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:

x2 !
WilliamTech

-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 AM
romeobravo172

I brought that up because not long ago I bought a 2nd 04 (have since sold it) and at about those rpm's it had this STRANGE rubbing squeal kind of noise, really weird kind of hard to explain it. Really had me concerned for a day or two. One day when it happened for what ever reason I put my hand on the tank and it stopped! Started to trace it down and figured real quick that the PO had the tank off and more than likely had droped the rubber cuhsions out of the inside of the attachment wings, very common they fall into what I call never land!! Anyway, he did put some kind of bushings but put them on the outside of the wings, not the inside!!! Is a wonder he did not crack the tank!! Actually did find both of them down in never land (dark places like fan shroud, and one was actually inside the top back indent in right ear!) Anyway that sound was the tank. My advise to anyone pulling tank is to take a minute and glue those rubber pieces in so they cant fall out on install!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 AM
Ndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
I have never had the tank off. I'm gonna look around some more tomorrow. The tank is nearly full with gas. I'll wait to remove it when it has less.
Just flip the petcock to off, disconnect the hoses and fuel gage wire. take out the 3 bolts and lift her off. Easy Peasy. No need to wait on an empty tank. I like to bunch up an old rag and put it under the petcock when I put the tank on the table/bench to help avoid damage as well as soak up any potential leakage.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement