From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavant View Post
Another reason I thought there was a vent problem is that I was draining the tank into a bucket the other day when the fuel flow pretty much stopped. Thinking the tank wasn't empty, I opened the cap and the flow resumed until the tank was empty. That's what compelled me to remove the cap and check the venting per the forum advice. When the problem occurred on the last ride I thought there must be something I'd overlooked.
Draining the gas tank at a fast rate will induce POOGS like conditions, since the vent in the gas cap is very small. So small in fact as to not keep up with the sudden displacement of the quickly exiting fuel. You would need to drain the tank at a rate that the gas cap vent can compensate for to validate the gas cap vent function using this method. That could take a while. However, it only takes about 15 minutes to disassemble the gap and flush the vent line. I would redo the gas vent system clean to be sure. Another testing method is to attach a small vinyl tube to the nipple on the base of the gas cap (vent opening) and gently force air in and out of the gas cap. Remember that the vent is very small, but you may be able to induce the hissing sound (HISSING IS GOOD)! Flush the vent line using carb cleaner or non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 05:08 PM

Good tips! Thanks!

"Katie"
2002 VN 750, stock except for accessories
Mustang seat
Super Bright LED brake strobe on trunk
About 25k miles
All drive train maintenance performed, drive shaft coupler replaced
Way more experienced at pulling VN 750 carbs than I ever wanted to be.
TOC ACCT rebuild kits installed
Pick up coil mod
Cooling system flushed, refilled with fresh coolant
Petcock rebuilt
VN sold, current steed Honda ST 1300
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:22 PM

POOGS- Cleaned the Cap

I had POOGS on my bike. I removed the cap and cleaned it. I put the cap back on the tank. Now it lets gas splash out. I took it off to check it, but there seems to be no adjustment. What have I done wrong? Is there any adjustment in the cap?

Mcneuby

New to me 2004 15k Last liscened in 2011. Stock as they come.

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcneuby View Post
I had POOGS on my bike. I removed the cap and cleaned it. I put the cap back on the tank. Now it lets gas splash out. I took it off to check it, but there seems to be no adjustment. What have I done wrong? Is there any adjustment in the cap?

Mcneuby
That's frightening. What part did you remove? The whole hinge assembly, or just the gasket/latch assembly attatched to the lid?

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 09:26 AM

The Gas Cap

I took the whole assembly off. There are just two screws that hold the cap assembly on the tank. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment in the screws that hold the cap in place. It does not seal the opening and gas leaks out and runs down my tank. Am I missing something? Is there some adjustment? I went back and loosened it up but there appears to be no movement.

Mcneuby

New to me 2004 15k Last liscened in 2011. Stock as they come.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcneuby View Post
I took the whole assembly off. There are just two screws that hold the cap assembly on the tank. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment in the screws that hold the cap in place. It does not seal the opening and gas leaks out and runs down my tank. Am I missing something? Is there some adjustment? I went back and loosened it up but there appears to be no movement.

Mcneuby
It sounds like the small springs (5 I believe) that press the gas cap gasket tightly to the tank are missing or it is gasket is not assembled incorrectly. Make sure that the gas cap gasket is facing the gas tank. You should be able push the gasket back onto the gas cap with a little force (resistance provide by those tiny springs). If it does not move, then something is assembled incorrectly. Remove and try again.
Thorn likes this.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement