From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 11:47 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I just PM`d our remaining moderator, Dianna, and asked her to sticky this thread so it will stay at the top of the Carbs and Fuel tech forum table of contents.

This is the best we can do because the Vulcan Verses are closed to additions.

BTW gaillarry, thanks for the excellent write-up and photos documenting this procedure. I will be refering to it in the near future as I need to check and clean my cap and vent.

cglennon already has a sticky thread on this subject, so I am going to cross reference them to each other.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17572

He has more text explaining what the theory behind the process is.
gaillary has more pictures to help visualize exactly what the parts look like that we are working on.
I hope this helps someone besides just me!
x2 here
WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:24 PM

gaillarry,

Nice write up and pics, very well done. If you go back to pic 6 in the 2nd post, you'll see two samll brass screws still in the gas cap. Remove these two screws and the entire set up will seperate. What you will find is a piece of metal with I think three small holes drilled thru it, with two galleys milled in the metal. This is all sandwhiched on top a piece of rubber gasket. I had to take a few Q-tips soaked in Isopropyl alcohol to clean the milled galleys that lead to the holes. They weren't clogged, but were dirty. Just a thought if still having probs with POOGS.

After all my carb work last month, POOGS still got me twice when I was down near reserve while on I95S this past Saturday. We'll see if I got it right when I get down to reserve again! Ha, hope so.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Hey Rusty, how many miles had you driven on a full tank when this happens? My exp has been that about 110-120 miles I am going to get a sputter, cough, power loss ect. I went thru the whole POOGS cleaning thing and found nothing! What I figured was I was to slow on switching to reserve! Now at about 100+ miles I'm waiting on it to happen. Have not had a single episode in months! Am not saying these passages do not get clogged because I'm sure they can. In that fuel cap asm they are tiny!! I also think the vacume controlled petcock throws a lot of people off. They do not realize you have to have vacume to get fuel. Just a thought!!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 PM

romeobravo172,

I typically wait until the bike sputters, then switch to reserve. As you stated, this is/was around the 110-120 mile mark. I have a new fuel petcock in there and am aware of the vacuum needed to get the fuel a movin. I'm still playing catch-up and trying to clear the fog in the brain.

Been 17yrs since I last had a bike, but I remember with my old KZ440LTD and the old VN750A5, I would wait until the bike sputtered, then switch over to reserve and a little more sputter, but then off I'd go w/o a problem.

I'm thinkin that with how low I was on fuel, (hoping anyway), it was the POOGS thing. No mainenance was ever done on this bike, the PO is quick to remind me all he ever did was put gas in it and go. So, for the past 3 months or so I've been doing a lot of catch up maintenance, repairs, replacements etc.

We'll see how it goes!!!
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Prowling Tiger

I just did this today. Easy as pie to clean! Only thing I feel needs added is a caution regarding the 5 springs. DO NOT LOSE THEM! I had 2 of the 5 disappear (my own fault). Now, I only have 3 springs helping to seal the cap to the tank. Additionally, I went beyond what was described here.

In addition to the above steps, I removed the 2 brass screws near the cap nipple and removed the whole center section. Got in there with brake cleaner and Q-Tips and added some white lithium to the tumbler.

The cap was practically clean already. The plastic piston needed some help, but that was easy to rectify as well. Time will tell if what I did was worth it. The gas tank vent was clean as well. I found a rubber hose which fit over the tank nipple and I blew through it effortlessly.

Again, job well done on putting this together. I would not have tackled this if it were not for the pictures.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 PM

Worked perfect! Disassembled, cleaned, blew out the poo, reassembled. Thank You!!!
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It's been about 10 years ago, but I remember removing the red plastic parts from mine. They are what cause the whistling noise at the gas cap, because they create a vent restriction. The vent restriction is just another piece of emissions crap, and I've removed all of that. I've also had to replace that little black rubber grommet 3-4 times because ethanol gas melted it. It also melted the petcock seals a couple of times

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Tell me what you think

So I have definitely experienced the POOG. It was elusive and I didn't think I was infected by the virus. Saturday morning, early, I filled up and decided to take a cruise around the lake
(For those who would like to follow along google maps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...sz=13&t=m&z=13

Click or paste the above).

I have to say, I've had the bike about two months and this was THE BEST it's ever driven. I was cruising wonderfully at 60-65 with no vibration - got over the 3500RPM buzz hump I guess. I get all the way around to what is about mile 30 maybe. I've been goosing the thing quite a bit in the previous 6 miles because I was following a Harley guy that was teasing me I think.

Well, this pup kept right up with him no problem and then we get to a light to turn left back toward home - Point E on the map. He takes the turn and really lays down on it. I follow suit and believe it or not this bike keeps pretty much right with him to about 70 mph and then I slow down for the next half mile. I was pushing prolly 6000-7000 RPM in there I'm sure.

So anyway, at this point, I start loosing power. I limp to the service station a half mile maybe and pull up under some shade - point F on the map. I smell gas. I look down at the K&N filter on my left (did ear shave) and fuel is gushing out of the filter. I take off the filter and start sopping the stuff up with a rag - I'm visualizing my bike in flames in the parking lot of the zippy mart.

I grab a big gulp (still legal here in South Carolina) and I sit down and thing in the shade. Been reading Zen and the Art so decided I needed to get right first and think about the problem.

I needed to stop the gas leaking so I turned off the petcock. I also disconnected the vacuum hose from the carb noticing that gas was coming out of it. So I was like, hmmm, too much vacuum in the line? I did notice last weekend that the manometer favored the front cylinder at higher RPMs. Then I decided I'd just turn the bike on and let it idle until it burned up all the fuel in the bowls - which it did. I was pretty proud that I had thought of that.

With the fire hazard taken care off, I put the vacuum hose back on, couldn't get the filter back on so just left it off and rode slowly home.

Later that day I go out again and the bike is running like total crap. I go maybe 10 miles to my new destination and stop the engine and hear a high pitched whine. I was like WTF? I bend down and the sound is coming from the GAS CAP! I wanted to jump up and down with joy. See I kept thinking that my bike was running like crap when it was hot after riding for a while. Nope, I bet it's the damn POOG thingy. Going to clean this pup and I bet you it runs great.

But! What about the fuel gushing out of the air intake you ask!? Well, I think that because I really hit that throttle hard, that the vacuum was awesome in that tank and it somehow got a big gulp of air on it's own because the vacuum over took the little thingy in the cap and with a whoosh, gas came bellowing into the system and over took the floats in the bowls.

What do you think?

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
So I have definitely experienced the POOG. It was elusive and I didn't think I was infected by the virus. Saturday morning, early, I filled up and decided to take a cruise around the lake
(For those who would like to follow along google maps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...sz=13&t=m&z=13

Click or paste the above).

I have to say, I've had the bike about two months and this was THE BEST it's ever driven. I was cruising wonderfully at 60-65 with no vibration - got over the 3500RPM buzz hump I guess. I get all the way around to what is about mile 30 maybe. I've been goosing the thing quite a bit in the previous 6 miles because I was following a Harley guy that was teasing me I think.

Well, this pup kept right up with him no problem and then we get to a light to turn left back toward home - Point E on the map. He takes the turn and really lays down on it. I follow suit and believe it or not this bike keeps pretty much right with him to about 70 mph and then I slow down for the next half mile. I was pushing prolly 6000-7000 RPM in there I'm sure.

So anyway, at this point, I start loosing power. I limp to the service station a half mile maybe and pull up under some shade - point F on the map. I smell gas. I look down at the K&N filter on my left (did ear shave) and fuel is gushing out of the filter. I take off the filter and start sopping the stuff up with a rag - I'm visualizing my bike in flames in the parking lot of the zippy mart.

I grab a big gulp (still legal here in South Carolina) and I sit down and thing in the shade. Been reading Zen and the Art so decided I needed to get right first and think about the problem.

I needed to stop the gas leaking so I turned off the petcock. I also disconnected the vacuum hose from the carb noticing that gas was coming out of it. So I was like, hmmm, too much vacuum in the line? I did notice last weekend that the manometer favored the front cylinder at higher RPMs. Then I decided I'd just turn the bike on and let it idle until it burned up all the fuel in the bowls - which it did. I was pretty proud that I had thought of that.

With the fire hazard taken care off, I put the vacuum hose back on, couldn't get the filter back on so just left it off and rode slowly home.

Later that day I go out again and the bike is running like total crap. I go maybe 10 miles to my new destination and stop the engine and hear a high pitched whine. I was like WTF? I bend down and the sound is coming from the GAS CAP! I wanted to jump up and down with joy. See I kept thinking that my bike was running like crap when it was hot after riding for a while. Nope, I bet it's the damn POOG thingy. Going to clean this pup and I bet you it runs great.

But! What about the fuel gushing out of the air intake you ask!? Well, I think that because I really hit that throttle hard, that the vacuum was awesome in that tank and it somehow got a big gulp of air on it's own because the vacuum over took the little thingy in the cap and with a whoosh, gas came bellowing into the system and over took the floats in the bowls.

What do you think?
why are you posting the exact same thing in multiple places?

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
why are you posting the exact same thing in multiple places?
Because he's "Goofy"???

"POOGS" is a problem that keeps fuel from flowing... Not the other way around. Maybe if he stopped writing and started reading he'd understand this....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement