carb sync gauges. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Jack of all trades

carb sync gauges.

I made these gauges to sync the carbs on my project bike. I got everything but the t-fitting from work. I made a set of two and spent less than $10. Can't beat that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 PM

Parts list...details...come on man!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Jack of all trades

Ok I got the gauges from lab equipment they were getting rid of at work. The pressure reliefe valves came from the same equipment (vac. pumps for lab work). I have a set of push lock fittings and 1/4" o.d. tubing. All of that is simply screwed into a T- fitting to make one gauge. The push lock fitting that goes into the vac. port is threaded m5x.08 to fit the other bike.

I haven't tried them on the bike yet as I don't have any gas. In theory they should work just like the pro sets. I am going to try to collect as many gauges as I can so I can make more sets. I just have to wait for the lab to burn out some more pumps.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

I'm interested in the gages you are using.

Make sure they read about the same with both increasing and decreasing vacuum when hooked up to the same vacuum source. Just make a note if the are off and you can add that factor back into to your measurements.

It would be interesting to compare your gage performance to my standard method of using 15' of clear tubing and transmission fluid-- which I believe to be highly accurate.

Last edited by Kelly2001; 07-17-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I just have to wait for the lab to burn out some more pumps.
Im fer hire..."dirty deeds done dirt cheap", lol...guess wouldnt be ok to just burn the whole lab down, huh ?... ...lemme see, a few squirts of naptha where ya'd normally pull a lil machine oil ?...that'd do it...

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Jack of all trades

The gauges are accurate ~1% which is plenty close enough to sync carbs. These gauges were removed from precision laboratory equipment. That being said...a manometer is an easily constructed tool that is quite accurate to balance carbs. I would make one myself I just don't like the idea of essentially a disposable tool. Too cumbersome to store full of fluid and too large to.store in my toolbox.

I'll post some results once I use them.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Jack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Im fer hire..."dirty deeds done dirt cheap", lol...guess wouldnt be ok to just burn the whole lab down, huh ?... ...lemme see, a few squirts of naptha where ya'd normally pull a lil machine oil ?...that'd do it...
Kinda tricky to burn a lab down that's inside a water plant...
Nah these pumps don't last long around work. We use them pretty much every day. Once the seals start to go they just buy a new one. So I asked if I could have the gauges off of them if they were just going to chuck them. My boss said no problem. So for every pump I get one vac. gauge and one pressure gauge. I'm thinking of making some pressure testers for cylinders. The type that screw into the spark plug holes.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Kinda tricky to burn a lab down that's inside a water plant...
...easy...Potassium Permanganate...KnO4 I believe it was.....I still got about *** of it left, lol....>kidding about the burn< Im savin this stuff fer important things, lol....

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Angell View Post

I made these gauges to sync the carbs on my project bike. I got everything but the t-fitting from work. I made a set of two and spent less than $10. Can't beat that!
kinda hard to see in the pic, but looks like 1/4" poly tubing, 1/4x3/8 Numatics male connector, 1/4x5mm Numatics male connector, 3/8 brass FxMxF tee, 3/8 brass coupling, gage..... I'm I close?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Banned

BTW- those are not push lock fittings. Push lock is a Parker barb style fitting. What you have there appear to be Numatics 'push to connect' fittings.
PS- those fittings are not designed for vacuum. They will leak down. Probably fine for what you are doing, just keep in mind that they leak.

Last edited by dariv; 07-18-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement