First trip with bike. Puzzling MPG. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

First trip with bike. Puzzling MPG.

Hello,

This morning, my dad and I took off for a small road trip, about 200 miles. I made 3 fuel stops: 1 at start of trip; once about 85 miles in; and again about 5 miles from home.

- The MPG at stop 2 was around 51 MPG. Only added 1.66 gallons of gas to top it off. Drove 85 miles before refilling. 2nd fill up since adding Seafoam.

- The MPG at stop 3 was around 37 MPG on reserve. I added over 3 gallons of gas to top it off. Drove 110 miles before hitting reserve. Drove another 5 miles before finding gas station.

- Total trip average of 44 MPG.

The trip out included curvy, hilly roads. The trip back was a straight shot with very few hills and curves. I also had a south wind, not strong enough to slow me down, to deal with on the way back. The bike also has a wind shield installed with it leaning as far back as possible for increase aerodynamics. Nothing about the bike changed from start to finish. It ran like a champ the whole time. Is what I experienced a result of bad gas? Possible the heat caused the gas to evaporate faster? Certainly a slight head wind would not cause a 14 MPG deviation.

I figured the bike was more consistant thanthis. I get better MPG in town than I did during the drive home.

Any ideas? Or am I just being paranoid? Thanks!

I only understand what I don't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
I average 47 mpg just about all the time. Varried riding,stop and go city, some hwy ect. Fron MY exp be prepared to hit reserve at about 110-120 miles. ( I always set my trip od) This is just my bike and my riding habbits. Some say 55 plus!!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

I have never hit reserve during in-town riding. I almost always fill up at or just over 120 miles. For the bike to run out of gas at 110 miles after riding at hi-way speeds seems ridiculous.

I only understand what I don't understand.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Figuring MPG should be something that is done over a month of riding, NOT by tankful. Your aversge speed, ambient tempature and humidity, how you accelerate and when, slope of the road, wind direction, etc... all play a part here.

I've gotten less than 38 mpg to over 50 mpg... All dependant on how hard I'm riding to average speed , to yes , even the gas I used. (and the above)

Frankly.... I don't care. I get gas when I need it and don't give a crap what mpgs I'm getting unless they were to fall well below my lowest reading over more than one tankful or two.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:00 PM

Garage
I mentioned this in another thread....but it fits, so here I go again...lol

"For the bike to run out of gas at 110 miles after riding at hi-way speeds seems ridiculous. "

not ridiculous...it all depends on your idea of a "full tank"

I never hit reserve, but usually fill up around 100 miles. If you fill the tank to the very top (gas up to, or part way up the tube "neck" under the filler cap). you will most likely be somewhere around 140 miles to reserve ( just an average).

If you are not comfortable with filling it that high and end your filling somewhere below that filler neck, you are losing about 30 miles worth of fuel (again...just an average).

If you are averaging 50MPG, then you are doing OK....If you are running wide open on highways, then expect less. It also has to do with a lot of factors like weight, wind resistance (windshields for example) and how you throttle and brake.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you are falling below 30mpg...then check your oil for gas in it or some sort of carb/ignition issue.

Bottom line...if it runs good and gets you there...enjoy the ride my friend!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

X2 kc2 !

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 PM

The worst tank I ever had on the VN750 was 40.9 at 75 MPH on the turnpike into a headwind. The suburban commute I had when I first got it was frequently worth mid-to-high 50's. The subsequent predominantly-highway (60-65) commute kept me working to hit 50. The bike has low gearing and not the best aero in the world, which means high speeds hurt the MPG a lot. Was the straighter run not a faster run?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Figuring MPG should be something that is done over a month of riding, NOT by tankful. Your aversge speed, ambient tempature and humidity, how you accelerate and when, slope of the road, wind direction, etc... all play a part here.

I've gotten less than 38 mpg to over 50 mpg... All dependant on how hard I'm riding to average speed , to yes , even the gas I used. (and the above)

Frankly.... I don't care. I get gas when I need it and don't give a crap what mpgs I'm getting unless they were to fall well below my lowest reading over more than one tankful or two.
Well ridin the stick country I can't always get gas, so I try to hit the sticks full up...
One thing on my bike that was shortening my fill ups was the kickstand (seems like kickstands always give me trouble...lol...) it was a good bit short in my opinion (not a VN750) and the bike had so much lean that you did not get a tank full, I had 3.5"s added in the middle of my Sportster kickstand and now get 25-30 more miles on a fuller tank, that gives me a happier feeling in the mountains where fill ups are a good bit apart... (And no I'm not goin to set a straddle of my hot bike and hold it streight up to fill'er to the brim, they may be useless but I don't want'em cooked yet...lol...)
On the VN750 as I remember I usually got 120+ before reserve, wish my Sportster had the reserve instead of the faulty idiot low fuel light...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Get the bike at 80 or faster and it will suck the tank dry fast.
I was loaded for a trip and doing 80+ got in the 30's. Slow down to 60 and was getting mid 40's.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Ndr

My daily commute is about 95% highway and I'm typically pushing 80mph or more each way as most of the ride I see very little traffic until I get close to the city. I'm usually hitting reserve at between 100-110 miles.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement