New Bike, some minor issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

New Bike, some minor issues

Hey all! I recently bought my 93 Vulcan and wanted to ask you guys a few questions. I have about 3 issues I'd like your guys' opinion on.

1) When I warm the bike up in the morning, the exhaust will blow out a fair amount of white smoke. This will go on for about half a minute then stop, lol so far this is how I've been knowing that the engine is warmed up, is this something to worry about? It doesn't do it the rest of the day, just that first warm up in the morning.

2) I sometimes backfire in the mornings before the bike will start. After the backfire, it will usually start right up. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

3) I took the bike up the grapevine (I5) over the weekend, which is a fairly substantial elevation change. Once I was at the top, the bike would lose power going around 70-80 and die. I'd pull over and after a couple tries the bike would start back up. I could maintain about 60-65. I had remembered that there was an air mixture knob on my old bike (07 Honda Rebel) that you would adjust based on your elevation, and thought there would be something similar. Quick search online, found the air mixture screws and turned them one full turn. Never got back up to 70 or higher after that (stupid LA traffic), but on the way home I was riding 80 without problems. Although this was at night, dunno if that makes any difference.

I was looking through the service manual to see what the air screw should be set to, but was unable to find anything about them. Was I off base in my diagnosis earlier? How do I make sure I have those screws adjusted correctly?

Be forewarned, your dealing with someone who has just enough mechanical knowledge to be dangerous.

1993 Vulcan 750 "Sookie"
1980 KZ750 LTD (Project) "Saki"
2007 Honda Rebel (Sold) "Lucky"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Most of us have found that backing off the air/fuel mixture screw 2 1/2-2 3/4 turns out works best. Turn the screw in until it's seated,don't force it, then back it out 2 1/2-2 3/4 full turns out. The fuel enricher ( choke ) will cause some white smoke at start up. If the white smoke has a sweet smell or smells like antifreeze you might have a head gasket leak.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:10 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by son-of-fire View Post
Hey all! I recently bought my 93 Vulcan and wanted to ask you guys a few questions. I have about 3 issues I'd like your guys' opinion on.

1) When I warm the bike up in the morning, the exhaust will blow out a fair amount of white smoke. This will go on for about half a minute then stop, lol so far this is how I've been knowing that the engine is warmed up, is this something to worry about? It doesn't do it the rest of the day, just that first warm up in the morning.

2) I sometimes backfire in the mornings before the bike will start. After the backfire, it will usually start right up. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

3) I took the bike up the grapevine (I5) over the weekend, which is a fairly substantial elevation change. Once I was at the top, the bike would lose power going around 70-80 and die. I'd pull over and after a couple tries the bike would start back up. I could maintain about 60-65. I had remembered that there was an air mixture knob on my old bike (07 Honda Rebel) that you would adjust based on your elevation, and thought there would be something similar. Quick search online, found the air mixture screws and turned them one full turn. Never got back up to 70 or higher after that (stupid LA traffic), but on the way home I was riding 80 without problems. Although this was at night, dunno if that makes any difference.

I was looking through the service manual to see what the air screw should be set to, but was unable to find anything about them. Was I off base in my diagnosis earlier? How do I make sure I have those screws adjusted correctly?

Be forewarned, your dealing with someone who has just enough mechanical knowledge to be dangerous.
Where abouts are you down here in So Cal?

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
Most of us have found that backing off the air/fuel mixture screw 2 1/2-2 3/4 turns out works best. Turn the screw in until it's seated,don't force it, then back it out 2 1/2-2 3/4 full turns out. The fuel enricher ( choke ) will cause some white smoke at start up. If the white smoke has a sweet smell or smells like antifreeze you might have a head gasket leak.
Alright, I'll try that today. By some you mean a lot right? lol I look like I'm standing in a cloud for about a minute. I'll try to get a video up. It doesn't smell like anything other than exhaust.

And thtanner, I'm in Bakersfield.

1993 Vulcan 750 "Sookie"
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Garage
If you have that much white smoke and no odor....maybe it's moisture in the tank.

throw some Seafoam in the tank and see if it gets better after a tank full or two.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

The engine dying is POOGS. The CA bikes are the worst. Unplug the right vent line under the seat, and run a new line down and out the bottom near the center stand.

The backfiring could be one or a combination of the following:
Weak battery
Lean idle mixture
Fouled or mis-gapped plugs
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2001 View Post
The engine dying is POOGS. The CA bikes are the worst. Unplug the right vent line under the seat, and run a new line down and out the bottom near the center stand.

The backfiring could be one or a combination of the following:
Weak battery
Lean idle mixture
Fouled or mis-gapped plugs
POOGS is the smog garbage right? I'll have to go grab a hose. I got a new problem this morning. Engine is not turning over. Then eventually it will either backfire, or it will do what is in this video.

Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

1993 Vulcan 750 "Sookie"
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
sounds like a bad ground
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:11 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
No, poogs is not only on the CA bikes, common to all 750. To me that video sounds like a weak batt!! Could be as easy as cleaning the ground connections, starting with batt to frame ( neg batt post to frame), and engine to frame! Ck batt voltage and make sure it is up to par. Take it to a auto parts place and have it load tested, as it can show great voltage straight up and yet be useless under a load,ie putting power to the starter.

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:15 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Damn SLIM, beat me to it!!! In any 12v system (DC) I am a firm believer that a simple thing like a ground connection is one of the most overlooked and simlpy one of the easiest cures. A bad ground will run you in circles,circles,circles, and may look perfectly fine!!!!!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement