Front carb filling cylinder. Help! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Front carb filling cylinder. Help!

Hi guys new to this site. Just bought a 93 Vulcan 750 with 10k miles. When I bought it, the bike ran, but ran poorly (got a good price on it.) I took off the carbs and got them professionally cleaned. The prior owner lived on a dirt road and didn't bother with air filters, so the carbs were full of sand. I reinstalled the carbs and the front cylinder fills with gas to the point that it hydrolocks the motor. I figured the carb mechanic must've made a mistake putting them back together, so I ripped the carbs off again and had him recheck them. He gave them a clean bill of health, so I reinstalled them. Same problem. I think it has to be some sort of vacuum problem. Where do I go from here? Sick of ripping off and reinstalling the carbs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 09:59 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Sounds like you have a stuck open float on that side, don't think it would be vacume. Ck your oil!!!!! Just about bet you are filling crank case with fuel!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 PM
romeobravo172

Ck on here on carbs, you will find great info and videos on rebuilding, cleaning ect. Keep in mind most shops will not admit to fking up!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah it has gas in the crankcase. I'm going to change the oil as soon as I figure this problem out. I understand the thinking on the stuck float, but I really want to eliminate all other possibilities before I rip the carbs off for the 3rd time. To be clear, it leaks without the bike running. I'm going to open the gas tank cap then open the petcock tomorrow. If it still leaks, then it's not some sort of gas tank overpressure thing (I live in FL it's hot here.) Open to other ideas for things to test!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 PM
romeobravo172

The pet cock is vacume controlled, no motor turning over no fuel leaves tank! Some early ones had prime, on, off on the petcock. Even if the petcock fails, your floats should stop the flow!!

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:35 PM
romeobravo172

Simple test, pull the 2 fuel lines off the PC, if fuel flows you have a bad PC (easily rebuilt). PC set to on!

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:37 PM
romeobravo172

Your vent swstem may have a clog, again a easy task to clean, just simply opening the cap will take care of any built up pressure.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 AM

It sounds like you have both a bad petcock and a flat valve problem. I'm not convinced over pressure would do it, but if it could it would fill up both cylinders I think.
If it were me, I would check them out myself. Load up the carb dissassembly videos and follow it step by step although he does the floats early into the video.
If the floats and valves are good you can check the float level by blowing into the gas inlet while raising the float with your finger. The middle of the float should be between the 2 marks on the chamber when the valve closes.

4/12/12 1st bike ever! 95 VN 750 13k
New plug wires
Iridiums
Coil relay mod
MCCT mod
Marbled
EPA stuff removed
Rear signals shaved
Shinko 170-110 oversized tourmaster tires
Splines lubed
Front signals relocated.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Well I tried leaving the gas cap open. It seemed to take a while longer, but in the end the front cylinder still filled. For some reason, I am plugging the suction line from the tank to the front carb to see if that makes a difference. At this point though, I am just dodging the inevitable. I'll have to take those damn things off for the 3rd time and follow the videos like you guys are recommending. Thanks for the replies fellas. Any new ideas are welcome.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy93vulcan View Post
Well I tried leaving the gas cap open. It seemed to take a while longer, but in the end the front cylinder still filled. For some reason, I am plugging the suction line from the tank to the front carb to see if that makes a difference. At this point though, I am just dodging the inevitable. I'll have to take those damn things off for the 3rd time and follow the videos like you guys are recommending. Thanks for the replies fellas. Any new ideas are welcome.
Three times is about average for the first-timers, as it was with me. Congrats on losing your carb cherry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement