Fuel tank & paint - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Fuel tank & paint

Hi,

I've been doing a bunch of work on the bike, some of which requires the removal of the gas tank. When I did so, I noticed the underside of the tank is sort of a semi glossy metal flake green.

This is not the color of the bike, and it is stock as it came from the factory.

The individual I purchased the bike from is a coworker. He bought it new in '02, I've seen it pretty much constantly since he got it, and I'm the second owner.

He claims the bike was never wrecked, and I know most of the people he rode with, no one ever said he wrecked it, and I have no reason to doubt him.
But, my question is, did Kawasaki ever primer their bikes in this manner?

It sure looks like the tank was repainted at some time, but it could have been that way from Kawasaki I guess. Just asking, the bike has issues, those of which I would account to not being ridden for 3yrs. And I'm not looking to start something with the previous owner, I like the bike, it rides well, (when it's running) and from what I've seen, no other reason to think it was wrecked. Maybe one of his kids hit the tank while it was in his garage, he replaced it and didn't think it was important, then no big deal.

Take care all, I thank all of you who have contributed over the years to this website/forum. I loved my old '98 and had no idea all the stuff that would, could happen to a bike, the mods, problems, repairs, fixes etc. Everyone here has contributed a mound of useful information, the likes of which I use quite a bit to keep the new to me '02 in tip top shape.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 12:32 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
I wouldn't worry about the tank...

Check the more telling places, such as the end of the brake/clutch levers, side of engine, pegs, etc, for scrapes. If it's clean it probably didn't get laid down.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

thtanner,

Thanks for the reply. All looks good with the bike, no scratches on anything. The only thing that was ground down a good bit was a screw used to hold the clamp on the right muffler heat shield. I attributed that to getting too close to a curb at some point, and not laying the bike down.

Waiting on gaskets for the float bowls so I can get back on the road. Been dealing with a hot running condition since I got the bike. Not overheating, just not running very cool. Cooling fan on lots and won't shut off til the bike is shut off. Done lots of cooling related work to the bike, but so far no cigar. Bike finally died last Thursday, then sputtered to life, and sputtered and backfired on the way home the last mile or so. Carbs had numerous issues, yeah and I paid some shill $400 to pull 'em, take 'em apart, and clean them two months ago. That never got done, if it did, it was done half ass'd. Should have just rolled up 4ea 100 dollar bills and smoked them. I probably would have gotten more out the whole experience. From now on no one but me will be touching the carbs. Should have done it my-self the first time. Live and learn.

Thanks again,

Paul

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 09:49 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

If you purchased the bike from a coworker than why not ask about the green paint. Explain that you are not looking to get any money back and that you are just curious about the odd color. No harm in asking a simple question. There may be a very simple and worthy answer.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to ask him. Not a big deal really, just curious. Love the bike, don't want any money back, got it for a good price. Just wish it was under me at the moment, instead of the carbs here with me in the study!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement