and now i'm in real trouble.. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

and now i'm in real trouble..

I thought i was getting my bike back today from having the carbs rejetted for for cruzers...on the way home it sputtered and died like POOGS..my battery was weak and they said they had to leave on the charger overnight before i picked it up today.. i went a got a new AGM battery which was my next purchase anyway and it fired right up. Later on the ride home it started to die again, but this was different. It felt like my left side was not firing. There seemed to be no exhaust and less power. Then it would come back. Then it was the right side. Then both were good. Then finally they were both out again and I was dead on the road. Got it back to my local shop, but they were already closed and we'll go from there. I had no issues with the bike before going for the new pipes. (keep the aftermarket thoughts to yourself) I added the pipes went for a coupe of weeks, no problem. Added the torque cones..still no issues. Did the pickup coil mod.. still running fine. The last add was the switch to the KN filters a few days before I took it in. I still ran around town several times before last Wednesday, when in going to the shop, i thought POOGS happened. I then got back home, called another shop and took it to them for the rejet. Still no issues like what i am now saddled with. I did notice that my voltmeter was not lit at all after i left the shop today. I am just totally stumped and out a bunch for the carbs and no telling whats coming next

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Jack of all trades

Seems like someone has been monkeying around with your wiring. That's why I hate shops, they don't always stick to just what they are told to work on.... Good luck, I look forward to finding out what's up with your ride. Sorry I don't really have anything that I can think of to help.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

im just spitballing but could i have screwed something up if i messed up the pickup coil mod. Thats the only thing i did that i wasnt 100 percent on. Also it is different with the KN filters that you dont use the screen holder inside the air box, but i figured those were for just keeping the shape of the stock foam filter. the KNs didnt need them. Other than that, i know the pipes and cones were installed right. Also could running too lean for too long cause anything..maybe to the iridium plugs??

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 PM

I had something like this a few days ago.. I really thought it was a carb issue but it turned out to be a coil wire.. (not the spark plug wire) you might want to check it.. May not be your problem but if it is it's a fast fix.

1995 VN750 (SOLD)
05-06 CBR600 R/R
ACCT>MCCT mod
engine guard w/HW pegs
Tires, 230's (170/110)
Smaller blinkers
Driving lights
Pickup coil mod
Speedo delete
mirrors w/reverse mount
Black grips

2000 Buell X1 Lightning
Carbon fiber fender F&R
Carbon fiber fly screen
Carbon fiber race intake
Works Shock
V&H Muffler
SS headers

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

where would the coil wire be.. i can still get to my bike and work on it of need be.. or do you mean the pickup coil.. and what did you do

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride

Last edited by pittdave; 06-24-2012 at 12:11 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 01:42 AM

If it turns over and you have spark, then the shop borked your carbs .
If it turns over but there is no spark, then look at the coil wires. If it doesn't turn over at all then you might have a regulator or stator problem.

4/12/12 1st bike ever! 95 VN 750 13k
New plug wires
Iridiums
Coil relay mod
MCCT mod
Marbled
EPA stuff removed
Rear signals shaved
Shinko 170-110 oversized tourmaster tires
Splines lubed
Front signals relocated.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboxer View Post
If it turns over and you have spark, then the shop borked your carbs .
If it turns over but there is no spark, then look at the coil wires. If it doesn't turn over at all then you might have a regulator or stator problem.
Yeah that's about it but.. Mine would come and go. I really thought I had a sticky float. Then one day it only ran on the front. made it much easier to find.

1995 VN750 (SOLD)
05-06 CBR600 R/R
ACCT>MCCT mod
engine guard w/HW pegs
Tires, 230's (170/110)
Smaller blinkers
Driving lights
Pickup coil mod
Speedo delete
mirrors w/reverse mount
Black grips

2000 Buell X1 Lightning
Carbon fiber fender F&R
Carbon fiber fly screen
Carbon fiber race intake
Works Shock
V&H Muffler
SS headers

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittdave View Post
where would the coil wire be.. i can still get to my bike and work on it of need be.. or do you mean the pickup coil.. and what did you do
I'm talking about the spark plug coil. the rear can be found under the left side cover (one screw) The front is in the front cover (in front of the tank (left)

You have 4 wires on each coil. 2 are for the plugs and 2 are the positive and ground.. In my case it was the red wire. It was loose. when I touched it, it basically came off in my hand. I plugged it back in and it's been good to go.

1995 VN750 (SOLD)
05-06 CBR600 R/R
ACCT>MCCT mod
engine guard w/HW pegs
Tires, 230's (170/110)
Smaller blinkers
Driving lights
Pickup coil mod
Speedo delete
mirrors w/reverse mount
Black grips

2000 Buell X1 Lightning
Carbon fiber fender F&R
Carbon fiber fly screen
Carbon fiber race intake
Works Shock
V&H Muffler
SS headers

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 02:24 AM
Bat
Bat

My rear coil is located on the front of the crossbar ahead of the battery, and is a real devil to get to! I had to take it off the crossbar in order to have access to the spark plug wire connections, and am wondering just how to put it back on the strut...it was hard enough to get off, let alone put back on! That's tomorrow's job...all that because I wanted pretty yellow wires on my bike. Just hope it all works well when I do get it put back together...and what is that thing that has all the hoses into it and looks sorta like a thermostat, but I don't think it is...that sits on top of the coil and I had to take it apart too to get to the coil. Geeze. Anyone got any amazing tricks up their sleeves to get to impossible and tight places?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 02:58 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat View Post
My rear coil is located on the front of the crossbar ahead of the battery, and is a real devil to get to! I had to take it off the crossbar in order to have access to the spark plug wire connections, and am wondering just how to put it back on the strut...it was hard enough to get off, let alone put back on! That's tomorrow's job...all that because I wanted pretty yellow wires on my bike. Just hope it all works well when I do get it put back together...and what is that thing that has all the hoses into it and looks sorta like a thermostat, but I don't think it is...that sits on top of the coil and I had to take it apart too to get to the coil. Geeze. Anyone got any amazing tricks up their sleeves to get to impossible and tight places?
That is part of the emissions system. It's the enricher box or something like that; I forget the name of the useless thing.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat