Running out of Gas but tank not empty - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Running out of Gas but tank not empty

I have a 2003 vn750 Yesterday i was driving and that bike suddenly ran out of gas i had gone 112 miles on that tank and i have always only put like 2.7 gallons in the tank to filll it so thinking i can get more miles per tank the bike ran out of gas i put tank on reserve and after a few mins i fired right up and i made it to the gas station but i only put like 2.9 gallons in my tank. why does my bike run out at 112 miles. and still has gas in tank. any iedeas would help

when i got the bike i changed the spark plugs to iridum plugs and changed battery and starts up and runs great just cant figure out the gas problem im having
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:13 PM

Garage
Most VN750 owners get about 120 miles to the tank, but it also depends on how much you fill the tank.
the manual says the tank capacity is 13.5 liters = 3.56632271 US gallons. I am not sure how much of that is actually the reserve fuel.

If you are sure there is more gas in the tank, then it is possible you are experiencing POOGS (phantom out of gas syndrome)
Read about it here:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17572

How you drive, how much wind resistance and weight all plays into how much mileage you get. I have a large windshield and drive a lot of open high speed highway miles.
I usually average about 120 miles on a tank before I hit the reserve, but like I said it varies from 110 up to about 130 miles. The tank holds more volume at the top of the tank because of the shape, so filling it up to the filler neck(or just above the bottom of the neck tube can actually get you another 10 or 20 miles worth of fuel.

Last edited by kc2dgq; 06-18-2012 at 07:17 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 PM

It sounds about right to me, the tank capacity is about 3.5 gals. with .5 of that being for reserve. I dont run untill I have to go to reserve, but like KC mentioned I get about the same before the gauge is on E.
I was going to mention the POOGS issue but KC beat me to it while I was doing a little research, By what you are saying I dont think thats what you are experiancing, but POOGS is something good to know about.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 PM

I usually fill up around the 130 mile mark, but I can go over that without needing the reserve. I'm sitting at 140 miles right now. I'm also getting about 54mpg. And the most I have put in is about 2.8 gallons.

If it only happens when you get low on fuel, it may be that you are getting poor gas mileage and need to do some maintenance like changing plugs, checking air filters, etc. if it's been a while. Maybe it's running rich and burning gas inefficiently. Or, it could be that you are starting to experience POOGS. It's really easy to clean everything out and see if that is contributing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:44 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
From my experince, I would say that you are slow to change from main tank to reserve. At fill up I set my trip odometer to o, And at about 100-110 miles I am expecting that tale-tale sign (skip a beat--burp--fart--sluggish excel )--reach down and change to reserve and life goes on to the next gas station!! I personally have not clocked it yet but I think the reserve will carry you 20+ miles!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 PM

I've had this happen a few times over the life of my 2006. The first time it was probably a little over a year old. Always happens soon after start up and after it has had its normal warm up. Mine will go a little over 160 miles before running out and I usually fill up around 150. Last week it quit at around 125 miles on the tank and within a mile of leaving work. Change to reserve and it cranks right up so I don't think it has anything to do with the vent. After I filled up I went about 155 miles on the next tank like normal with no issues. It is usually a couple of years between times that this happens. Just a freak of my bike I guess.

2006 VN750
21,000 Miles
Splines lubed with Moly 60
Deka ETX15L AGM Battery
TOC MCCT's
NGK Iridium plugs
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 AM

Garage
well...last night I was at 124 miles and still didn't hit reserve yet, but I am sure I would have within the next few miles. I filled up the tank right to the bottom of the tube (filler neck under the cap) and it took 2.25 gallons. I calculated 54MPG on this tank.

if the tank is 3.5GAL, then according to specs, I left 1.25 gallons in the tank before I filled up.

Theoretically, I should have been able to go another 68 miles for a total of 192 miles per tank.

I don't think I would ever expect to see that type of range. One day I will actually run the tank to reserve and calculate how many gallons are actually in the reserve "tank" by running it dry and see what the actual mileage is.

Last edited by kc2dgq; 06-19-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement