POOGS??? maybe.. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

POOGS??? maybe..

Since I'm in the shop right now, I would like some feedback on two instances I've had of possible POOGS. Its died these two times but in neither instance, did I think POOGS, so I did not leave the cap open for any time other than to look in and check for gas. I was near empty both times but not that empty. Each time we were able to get the bike started with jumper cables after about 20-30 min. That may be a coincidence, but that may have been needed with all of the failed start attempts and the batt was just run down from the strain. The 1st instance was just after I purchased the bike in early March. The 2nd was yesterday. Other than that, no other POOGS issues
Just wondering if its POOGS or a weak battery that dies while riding

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Sounds like fuel starvation crap in the tank blocking fuel off, floats sticking and clearing while turning over the engine to restart, POOGS when it happens you only need to release the cap to releive the pressure and the fuel should flow again,
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

ok then... how to fix?

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 05:13 PM

Check the tank for crap/rust check the petcock is working correctly is the vacuum working, check/clean float needle valves trouble is with intermittent faults it is hard to dianose, twice in 3 months is very intermittent and frustrating as you never know when or if it will happen again, could be debris blocking off the petcock and with the tank sloshing about clearing and allowing it to start again, I hate faults like this I would rather it stop altogether so you can find and fix the problem
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

If the engine just died without any symptoms of fuel starvation (cutting out somewhat gradually,) then you might try checking out your ignition switch, sometimes called a "puck."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

the symptoms were like running out of gas.. it sputtered and coughed and finally died..both times, my first thought was possibly out of gas.. i was low, but not out either time

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

It's POOGS. If you have a CA emissions bike (two vent lines under the frot of the seat,) remove the right vent line from the tank tube and run a new line from the tube, down and out the bottom of the bike. You could also just remove the little o-ring under the gas cap.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

there is only one tube at the back end of the tank under the seat. there is a small l-shaped tube and then a hose going down from there

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

I don't know how the non-CA bikes are vented under the seat. Just remove the fuel cap vent O-ring, or buy a new one and be sure the vent is clean at the cap. Perhaps you could spray some carb cleaner thru the o-ring,but don' get any on your paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement