running hot and carb issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

running hot and carb issues

well yesterday was my first ride ever! i have a 91 750 vulcan. The Speedo cable broke at abour 45 mile/hr on the back roads. the bike was hesitating bogging when reved above 4000 rpm. when i checked the pluggs they were a little on the white side. i checked the rubbers between the carbs and the cylinder ( needed tightened).... drianed carbs incase of water seemed to run good four about 10 min ( my old man took it up to about 100m/hr) then started acting up again. checked the plugs again still whitish( probably wasn't run long enough. any advice would be great

1991 VN 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

well i sprayed som carb cleaner(quiet a few times) in it redrained them both revs to 6000 now then sputters then quick release and hit throttle again quickly and boggs at 4000. if i let it idle back down i can re rev it back up.. think she is starving for fuel. ok pulled the tank off there is no hose on the bottom of the tank where the fuel gage wires go in.. Should there be ? also the vent line closest to the seat seams plugged should i be able to blow air right through that line? the petcock seams to be working fine i put a hose on the vacuum side and sucked the petcock was in the on position both carb sides flowed ok..thanks for any advise

1991 VN 750
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortagleus View Post
well i sprayed som carb cleaner(quiet a few times) in it redrained them both revs to 6000 now then sputters then quick release and hit throttle again quickly and boggs at 4000. if i let it idle back down i can re rev it back up.. think she is starving for fuel.

***Q1*** ok pulled the tank off there is no hose on the bottom of the tank where the fuel gage wires go in.. Should there be ?

***Q2*** also the vent line closest to the seat seams plugged should i be able to blow air right through that line?

the petcock seams to be working fine i put a hose on the vacuum side and sucked the petcock was in the on position both carb sides flowed ok..thanks for any advise
ANSWER 1. No, I don`t think any hose connects to the bottom of the fuel gauge.

ANSWER 2. The tank vent hose nipple on the back of the tank goes up to the filler cap and should be open. You should able to blow though the black hose that hangs down from it. I had this problem myself just 2 weeks ago and sprayed some WD-40 down from the filler cap and let it sit for several hours before lowering the rubber hose and allowing it to drain. Whatever was blocking the vent line dissolved or loosened and drained out. I am now able to blow or suck air through that vent line.

If you are talking about a vent line from the carb, I haven`t been introduced to them yet, except for cutting the end off at 45* where it sticks into the right ear. (air filter box)

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 05-27-2012 at 07:32 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. Some carb cleaner old hanger and 120 psi finally unclogged the vent on the tank. engine starts to bog between 6000 and 7000 rpm in neutral so thats better then the 4000 earlier. think i need to pull the petcock completely off. and give it a good cleaning.

1991 VN 750
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

well got the bike back together after taking carbs off really wasn't as bad as i thaught it would be. 10 min out 30 back in ( luckily i remembered the boot angles from b4 or i would have been screwed). killed my battery 2 times trying to get it to fire finally it sputtered and a little adfjustment on the idle and relief set in runs great now.

i am so glad that on this site no one seems bothered by answering similiar question from us newbies to these bikes. Thank

1991 VN 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement