BIG Problem, could use some help ASAP - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

BIG Problem, could use some help ASAP

Hello everyone, I'm sorry to sound so urgent and pretend like my thread is more important than others, it's not.
But,
I'm driving 1400 miles from Wisconsin to Wyoming, and I'm about 500 miles away and my bike is giving me problems.

1. It is eating gas. I'm only getting around 60 miles to a tank(3.2ish gallons) and I can't afford to keep filling it up to get where I'm going.

2. Power is way down. Sometimes on a straightaway I won't be able to get it over 60mph with top gear and full throttle. Hills are a tremendous loss of power as well that I can't accelerate over.

3. It is eating oil. It's always done this, about every 100 miles I have to add about a half liter, I figured it's because it's and old bike. But it still worries me.

I would REALLY appreciate any insight anyone has. I had a harley dealer look at it, and they said they fixed it by cleaning the air filters and replacing some kind of cable but they didn't. *******s.

-Modifications so far-
  • Drag bars & low mirrors
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • Leather Tank Bib(Credit to Romeobravo172 for craftsmanship)
  • VN900 Custom Seat

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 PM

Sounds like your air mixture screws on each carb are backed out TOO much (that will eat gas), and dirty filters will do same, as the bike will run rich.

1)check your choke lever to make sure it fully disengages
2) if your all stock, or mostly stock, air mixture screws should be between 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 (max) turns out depending on your setup...check plug condition. If black, turn em in 1/2 turn.
3) if your air filters are dirty, your bike will run as though a choke was on...remove the filters and start it. If idle increses a lot, clean/change the filters. If running stock filters, add a cupla pods quick for your trip.

60 mi/tank ?...heck, I get 50mpg without even having Iridiums...average tank should be between 130-150mi depending on conditions. And thats even leaving a half gallon for a-germancies....

Last edited by Wolfie; 05-26-2012 at 09:34 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
I'd kill to get 150 miles. Mine sucks air at about 115 to 120 miles. At 121 miles I'm pushing. This is if I run at 70mph. It's never made it past 120 miles unless the speed was kept down to 60mph. But then I was being run over by other traffic. Even then it's way low on the go juice. It's always run good. Just not far.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 04:36 AM
Big Dumb Viking

Send a message via AIM to asbrand Send a message via MSN to asbrand Send a message via Yahoo to asbrand
I am lucky to get 90 miles out of a tank. Then again, I'm a big dude.

-Az
http://www.asbrand.com

1989 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

Upgrades so Far:
Coastered
R/R relocated
Analog Voltmeter
PFIII Windshield
RAM GPS Mount w/Garmin GPS
Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter
Saddlemen's Classic Explorer Seat
Pro-Tac Driver's Backrest
LED Tail Light
LED Rear Turn Signals
Luggage Rack
Storage Trunk
Engine Guard w/Highway Pegs
Radiator Grill Cover
Turn Signal Relocation Bracket
Saddlebags
Floorboards
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 AM

Garage
I was running stock until the end of last season. I am 180lbs, and still only got about 110 miles per tank......120 if I hit the reserve and really pushed it.

If you are having to top off the oil, I would assume you are burning oil since you did not mention any leaks.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:21 AM

Low power, eating gas and burning oil... sounds like the rings are shot. What do your plugs look like? Done a compression check?

MCCT Mod
Pickup Mod
12 Volt Receptacle Mod
Memphis Shades Santa Cruz
Homemade Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
Harley Sportster Exhausts
Rotating/Flashing Tail Lights
170/80 Michelin Commander II
Saddlemen Highwayman Slant Jumbo Saddlebags
Bought 09/10 12.2k miles - 04/12 33.4k miles
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 01:50 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Milage wise (I trip my odometer every fill up) and at 110 to 120 I have to switch to reserve, usually stop and fill up right away( have no earthly idea how far reserve will carry me!) and the most I have ever put in is is 2.7 gals, tank should hold 3.7 gals. The best I have gotten is 47 mpg. ( that was average riding, I,m 190lbs). On day I plan to strap a 2 gal fuel can on back, do the 110-120, hit reserve and see for sure how much farther I go. At least then I will for sure!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll look into that. I just put brand new iridium spark plugs in it and the problem persists. It used to get about 120 miles per tank. The filters are clean, I just cleaned them myself.

-Modifications so far-
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • VN900 Custom Seat

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters."
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
2) if your all stock, or mostly stock, air mixture screws should be between 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 (max) turns out depending on your setup...check plug condition. If black, turn em in 1/2 turn.
Where do I find these screws? Still learning, sorry.

-Modifications so far-
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • VN900 Custom Seat

I am haunted by waters."
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeobravo172 View Post
Milage wise (I trip my odometer every fill up) and at 110 to 120 I have to switch to reserve, usually stop and fill up right away( have no earthly idea how far reserve will carry me!) and the most I have ever put in is is 2.7 gals, tank should hold 3.7 gals. The best I have gotten is 47 mpg. ( that was average riding, I,m 190lbs). On day I plan to strap a 2 gal fuel can on back, do the 110-120, hit reserve and see for sure how much farther I go. At least then I will for sure!
The total capacity between reserve and tank is ~3.7 gallons. The gas tank is somewhere around 3.

Personally, I have gone 120 miles in the city with minimal hi-way and not hit reserve. I still hear gas sloshing around in the tank.

I only understand what I don't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement