Any easy way to clean pilot jets? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Any easy way to clean pilot jets?

Hi, I'm new to the site, just picked up my 2005 VN750 over the weekend. She's been neglected and struggles to idle, so usually that means the pilot jets are clogged. This is my first v-twin and I am a bit ham-fisted, but I wondered if there was an easy way to clean these w/o removing the carbs.

Please feel free to direct me to prior posts, as I'm sure I'm not the first to encounter this problem!
thanks, scott in ny finger lakes region
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Old Truck Junkie

It is not easy, but one can remove the jets by removing the small cap at the bottom of the carb. If I remember right it takes a 9mm wrench. You may need a piece of hose to help get the jets back into place. Also use carb cleaner to spray up into the jet holes to clean them out. Good luck.

BTW Welcome to the group.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

I remember the pilots having slot-heads; very difficult to remove with the carbs on the bike. The mains have a hex. You could try spraying carb cleaner up through the bottom carb drain cover, and through the little drilled holes near the throttle plates. You will want to open the drain or remove the drain cover before spraying down through the holes. You might try removing the idle screws and spraying cleaner in there, too.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

thanks for suggestions

I'll check the bottom of the carbs and see what my options are. Is complete carb removal a big deal? (for soaking in carb cleaner, Yamaha makes a dip that doesn't hurt rubber parts). I do realize that's the RIGHT way, but if I thought I could fill the carbs w/ Seafoam (as other sites have mentioned) and have that clean it out, I'd try it! (Like I said, I'm hamfisted).
scott
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

If you have never removed VN750 carbs, then, yes it's a big deal. What I would call you is a carb virgin. Not so much "hard," more like tricky and frustrating. We're all behind you and know that you can do it! Search around for the treads for advice, and follow the Clymer's manual to the letter. For starters, there are two tiny o-rings you don't want to lose- one under the idle air bleed screw, and another in the coasting enricher cap. Good Luck! Oh, you may need an impact screwdriver to get the carbs apart- the heads on the phillips screws tend to strip out- if you're ordering parts, just order some in advance.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

deleted

1988 VN750[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by FlacoLove; 03-25-2013 at 04:21 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 04:50 PM

Heres one thing you can try and it will cost you about $10.00. Im surprised no one else has mestioned it yet. There is some cleaner called seafoam. There has been many references to it in this forum. The advice ive seen I on here is drain the carbs, take the fuel lines off the tank and fill the carbs with some seafoam. Let the carbs soak for a day. Get a tank of fresh gas and put 1/2 of the can in the tank, and see if that helps. I think it also comes in a spray. Advance auto should have some. Take a search through the forum and see what else you can fins about it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlacoLove View Post
just viewed your public profile and it's blank. Had I seen any reference to your location, and if within N.Y.C. area, I'd of volunteered going there to assist with carb removal/clean up/reinstallation. Ride safe
I'm in the N.Y. area and would welcome any assistance with my carbs
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Scott - I have the same issue with my 2005 Vulcan 750. If you find a resolution please share it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I hate to say it, but there's no easy way to clear out your pilot jets. If spraying carb cleaner and running SeaFoam through the carbs don't do it, you need to remove the jets.....and from experience I'll tell you your best move is to just replace them rather than try and clean them out.

Sometimes you can run a thin wire strand through the hole to help open it up. Most times this problem is due to the bike sitting for a long time. If the problem just started on a often run bike it might get resolved with the aforementioned carb cleaner.

Here's an old shop rated X secret... Stuck floats or clogged jets can sometimes be cleared by filling the carb with cleaner....and holding a vibrator against the sides of the carb. Seems the higher frequency vibration can knock loose tiny chunks of dirt stuck to parts....kinda like an ultrasonic cleaner does.

Best fun is going to the adult shop and asking for their strongest vibrator......to use on your motorcycle...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement