Rev matching/blipping the throttle - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Let's Ride!!

Garage
Rev matching/blipping the throttle

How many of you do this? I hang with a lot of guys that ride sportbikes, and they all do this. I didn't used to: I would just pull the clutch, downshift, and release the clutch. Yeah, there's a little bit of a jerk, but not a big deal. For some time now I have been doing the blip the throttle rev matching thing, and it's definitely smoother, but not always. Seems kind of tough to blip it just the right amount every time.

But then I started thinking: If you're riding in-town most of the time, you're having to do quite a lot of downshifts. By giving it a little bit of gas every time, are you "wasting" gas, hurting your fuel mileage? I started noticing that I used to get 40-45mpg in town pretty consistently; now it's 38-42. True, I've started riding a little more aggressively, and that happened at the same time I started rev matching. So could it be more about the "heavy" throttle than the blipping, and it could also be crappier gas.

Is there really any benefit to rev matching other than to make downshifts smoother? Is it better for the clutch and gears to do so? Is there a downside, like poorer fuel economy? What say you?

'95 Vulcan 750 - Purchased 8/2003 w/ 21,124 miles - passed 50K 9/3/15
* VN900 seat * Daytona handlebar * Converted ACCTs to MCCTs * Relocated R/R * Drilled clutch basket * Coastered * Repainted *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:12 AM

I used to do this with a quad I owned years ago until I broke a shift fork and wound up costing me big $$$'s in repair costs, clutch is easier to replace than the whole bottom end of a motor.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
actually it is easier on the entire drivetrain to down shift smoothly,ie: blipping the throttle.Matching engine speed to vehicle speed is critical to driving a big truck.and it carries over to bikes as well.

Over revving the engine and downshifting at to high of a speed for the gear selected can overspeed the engine and damage it.I think down shifting properly is as important as braking when it cones to stopping quickly.If you don't ,and you see a way out of a bad situation you could be stuck in too high of a gear and not be able to accelerate out of a bad situation.

When riding aggressively most of the time ,you probably are on the throttle more both accelerating and decelerating and your mileage probably suffers.But it is a combination of factors not just he downshifting method to make that kind of difference in fuel mileage.

Remember the disclaimer on all the car commercials,"your mileage may Vary"?
the first word is the key to that statement.How you drive is the difference.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Rather than give a long winded explanation, I'll just say after 40 years of riding and several seasons of road racing, there is no benefit to shifting that way.

What's important is picking the right gear to start with, picking the right time to change gears, and doing it quickly and precisely.

The only time you should need to down shift is when your slowing down. So it makes no sence to open the throttle... That "jerk" you feel is the bike slowing...which is what you want. On a big twin, you just need to make sure your speed is already down enough that you don't end up breaking the tire loose from down shifting too soon. (I got some very loud "chirps" off the rear tire learning how the Vulcan rides)

If you shift down and keep the same speed, you were in the wrong gear to begin with.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 05-18-2012 at 08:06 AM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
actually it is easier on the entire drivetrain to down shift smoothly,ie: blipping the throttle.Matching engine speed to vehicle speed is critical to driving a big truck.and it carries over to bikes as well.

Over revving the engine and downshifting at to high of a speed for the gear selected can overspeed the engine and damage it.I think down shifting properly is as important as braking when it cones to stopping quickly.If you don't ,and you see a way out of a bad situation you could be stuck in too high of a gear and not be able to accelerate out of a bad situation.

When riding aggressively most of the time ,you probably are on the throttle more both accelerating and decelerating and your mileage probably suffers.But it is a combination of factors not just he downshifting method to make that kind of difference in fuel mileage.

Remember the disclaimer on all the car commercials,"your mileage may Vary"?
the first word is the key to that statement.How you drive is the difference.
X2, especially in our unsynchronized transmissions.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier

Last edited by JM2001; 05-18-2012 at 08:32 AM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 11:38 AM

I have always as you say blipped the throttle it does make for a smoother down shift as long as you get it right just takes practice, and I also do clutchless up shifting too, and I have been riding for 40 years so it seems it is each to their own way of riding.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
I have always as you say blipped the throttle it does make for a smoother down shift as long as you get it right just takes practice, and I also do clutchless up shifting too, and I have been riding for 40 years so it seems it is each to their own way of riding.
Yes, I should clarify that's how I ride. I know there are plenty of "blippers" out there... and I was not trying to say it was "wrong" to do so.

I'll just add that if you look at my bike, you'll see it is not wearing a diaper.... So I don't treat it like a baby when I ride. I like to "feel" the change when I downshift, and hear the motor scream a little.

Up shifts for me are always fast and....butter smooth. Downshifts I just am more aggressive with, because I know the bike can take it. Comparing the gearbox of a 6,000 pound truck to a 500 pound bike is silly to me, but whatever...lol.

Dave, if you like to be a blipper, go right ahead...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 PM

Oh yes I'm a right blipper KM, mind you I also like to feel the front go light when you get to the red line, that tends to knock the diaper off the bike lol.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:17 PM

Garage
I blipped this morning on my way home.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Let's Ride!!

Garage
Interesting. Absolutely no consensus on the issue.

Blipping does seem to make it smoother most of the time. But it seems like by not blipping, you can really feel the motor trying to help slow you down. And of course there's the issue of making sure you do the downshift at a low enough RPM so you don't over-rev the engine.

Really seems like there is no right or wrong, and 2 people have 40 years of anecdotal evidence to confirm both ways. Interesting.

'95 Vulcan 750 - Purchased 8/2003 w/ 21,124 miles - passed 50K 9/3/15
* VN900 seat * Daytona handlebar * Converted ACCTs to MCCTs * Relocated R/R * Drilled clutch basket * Coastered * Repainted *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement