Pictures Please - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Pictures Please

I have a gas leak somewhere on my bike. I want to do the simple $5 repair checklist first, but I need some pics to go with the repair checklists. I can follow instructions but I need to match the name of the parts with a picture to get things done.

Can anyone recommend a good picture tutorial for repairs.

VN 750 stock glossy sweet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black404 View Post
I have a gas leak somewhere on my bike. I want to do the simple $5 repair checklist first, but I need some pics to go with the repair checklists. I can follow instructions but I need to match the name of the parts with a picture to get things done.

Can anyone recommend a good picture tutorial for repairs.
The highly recommended Clymer's Manual has very good descriptions and identifies all parts involved in repairs or service procedures. Also there are a large number of pictorial and/or video posts regarding numerous procedures here on the forum. Just use the "Search" option at the top for the particular procedure you need. If you have a problem just ask on line and someone with experience will allways be glad to assist with a printed answer and possibly with specific pictures.

Good luck.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Pictures? Perhaps this will help:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor...ents#section_8

Gas leak?

Two easy steps...

1. Find where leaking.

2. Fix it.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Giggity!

Garage
You can also download the repair manual in my signature to help you.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Great Laugh

Thanks for the great laugh. I needed to take some seriousness out of the equation. I want to skip the repair shops this season and I need to lighten up and stop being scared to touch it.

[Quote:

Gas leak?

Two easy steps...

1. Find where leaking.

2. Fix it.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

KM[/QUOTE]

VN 750 stock glossy sweet
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the great laugh. I needed to take some seriousness out of the equation. I want to skip the repair shops this season and I need to lighten up and stop being scared to touch it...
And there it is. I think anyone that knows how to use a screwdriver and a socket wrench can do the vast majority of work on their bike. Many it seems have some fear of screwing up, but if you go slow and pay attention, bikes are pretty simple to work on. Even pros screw up now and then.

You really don't need pictures, you just need to study what you are taking apart and you can understand how it goes together. Even after 40 years of working on bikes, I still find it usefull to make simple drawings as I go along on how things fit together, where each bolt goes, labeling parts if needed , and sometimes even taking photos along the way.

So if I have to wait for parts, I'll not have to rely on a week old memory how something went together when the parts arrive.

I do want to warn those that do lack the knowledge not to get over their heads, and its ok to know when to let a qualified wrench do the work.... Because if you screw up something on your car, you'll likely just be stuck on the side of the road somewhere... But if you screw up something on your bike, it could be your own safety at risk.

Luckily for you , you found this forum, where any and all questions you might have can be answered......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Knifemaker suggests a very good tool for those looking to learn more about their bikes. Take pictures as you go! A simple inexpensive digital camera is a great tool especially when it is time to put things back together. I doubt if you could take too many pictures and in the end you can always erase any that are not needed. They may also come in handy for someone else in the future. Photograph before and during each step of the disassembly. Reassembly is just following the pictures in the reverse order. A week old memory after waiting for parts can be a problem as mentioned. When I was a kid I had a habit of taking apart every toy I ever received within days. Finally my father told me that anything that was taken apart and not put back together within three days was going in the trash. I quickly learned to pay attention as to how everything came apart. I learned how to lay the pieces out in order and then just start at the opposite end of the parts line and put it all back together again. Most of the items on these bikes are not that difficult but be sure you are not getting in over your head before you start to take it apart. Use the search tab on top to review any reports from previous write ups. Good luck.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the great laugh. I needed to take some seriousness out of the equation. I want to skip the repair shops this season and I need to lighten up and stop being scared to touch it.

[Quote:

Gas leak?

Two easy steps...

1. Find where leaking.

2. Fix it.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

KM
[/QUOTE]

There's nothing better than being the one to care for your machine, once you get into it you'll wonder why it took so long : ) But that first attempt is all it takes to get the ball rolling.

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod
Malteese led Turn Signals (Rear)
Paid 750.00$ for her in 2005 w/ 9k
Currently @ 23k and counting
Sponsored Links