POOGS Again!! That has got to be a better way, please help!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

POOGS Again!! There has got to be a better way, please help!!

Hello everyone, So coming home from work this morning I got POOGS again. I have had this back less that 1 1/2 years and have had POOGS 4 times. I cleaned the system as recommended after the very 1st time. It happened again after that shortly after I cleaned it so I decided to just try and keep the tank more than half full as much as possible as this seems to add to the problem. It happened a 3rd time anyway so I cleaned it again for the 2nd time in less than a year. Today was the 4th time and the gas level was below half but come on 4 times in less than 2 years. Does anyone out there know of a better way to fix this frustrating problem? Like adding or removing something from the venting system? I have seen some posts in the past where people have completely removed the rubber vent seals in the gas cap and they have never had a problem since but I'm a little leary. Enjoy riding this 2003 Vulcan but have to admit it is always in the back of my mind that I'm going to stall out at any second. Luckily it's only happened on surface streets but I do alot of freeway driving and it's only a matter of time before it happens doing 75 mph, ugh! Any help that could be sent my way would be greatly appreciated. I'm actually considering selling this back and getting something else just based on this problem. With that being said does this happen to all styles of bikes or just the Vulcan?

Last edited by bigdaddy; 04-30-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: correcting spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 PM

Garage
my first question is if you were able to pinpoint the clog itself....was it in the fuel cap or in the vent tube at the bottom of the tank?

I would probably replace the hose off the bottom of the tank, and make sure the path from the bottom of the tank to the vent hole under the gas cap is not clogged as well. I used pressurized air to make sure the line in the tank isn't clogged. Some rust in the tube could be causing the clog.
I did remove the rubber valve in the gas cap because I used brake cleaner on it and it basically fell apart. I have not had any issues with the gas cap as far as leaking...and I do at times fill the tank right to to top past the neck tube in the tank.

The bottom of the vent hose hanging under the frame on mine is now cut diagonally with the cut end facing the rear.....this prevents the end of the hose from getting clogged up from tar balls forming on it....rain and dirt tend to stick to the cut end, so inspect if often.

Hope this helps...good luck!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I assume you read this:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17572

Me, I just started riding with a spare key in the gas cap. Any hint of a problem , I opened the cap.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Garage
"Me, I just started riding with a spare key in the gas cap. Any hint of a problem , I opened the cap."

That works too!
At the first hint of any "hissing" sound, I immediately inspect the vent system since that is usually a sign of restriction to the system.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Somehow I missed the original post....Thanks KM
Great write up Chris!
View of cap parts...

Last edited by VoIPDoc; 07-21-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement