carb idle problem-maybe simple fix? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
new owner

carb idle problem-maybe simple fix?

I'm not sure, maybe its here someplace, but I didnt notice it. My 92 was put away 2 years ago running bad, last summer I started it and one cylinder was not fireing (i thouhgt) and it sat till this spring. it was firing on both cylinders but one was not at idle (it would load up). I pulled the carbs, cleaned um with carb cleaner and reassembled. In and out was a huge amount of unfrinedly words for the designers, the rubber boots, and anybody who popped into my mind. Once assembled it fired up and ran perfect for about 10 seconds and started to run on a single cyclinder again. As it ran fine it had to have gotton somethng in the idle jet again!.. WTH! I wasnt taking the carbs off again so pulled the bowls and got the idle jet out (here is a funny part... I picked the wrong carb!) 2X once for the wrong carb and once for the correct one. cleaned it and installed.. Same thing, ran for about 10 seconds good and .. once cylinder again. Now im unhappy. Buddy is an old bike mechanic, he says I probelby got something off the inside of the old hoses i put on.. But

TIP: if you pull the boot off the air intake side of the carbs (failry easy to do) there are 3 small holes in the edge of the carb intake , they lead to the main jet, choke, and idle.. (smallest one is idle) i sprayed carb cleaner (and some air) down it with the bowl off.. seen it flowed good. Put the bowl on and boot, and fired it up... ran great, road it for about 20 miles no issues.

Now somebody maybe pointed this out before and i missed it.. HIGHLY suggest this before removing carbs. You can basicly make sure all 3 passages are clear in about 10 minutes.. 1-2mins to take 2 screws in bowl off, and 1-5 mins to take air boot off.. and 1-2 mins to blow some air or carb cleaner down the 3 holes to see if they are clogged. Keep in mnd gunked up carbs will just gunk up again.. but if its that one annoying bit of crap this may work for you.

Saved me a couple hours of removing the carbs again. What i have learned.. I WILL do excellent winterization.. No shortcuts this comming winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 PM

You say these holes are in the top of the carb where the boot attaches to the airbox? Or where the intake boot to the cylinder head attaches? I've got a choke not working on one carb and would like to try this first... Got pics?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
new owner

Well i searched and borrowed some pics from sombody else gallery here ( if that a problem please let me know).. there are 3 holes in the edge (the smallest is the idle, middle is the main and other is choke I believe... The only thing that may be an issue is, you drop the bowl and when you spray you can see the idle and main jet (if the spray comes through) the choke .... not so sure.. but I know that path leads to it...
teh picture is not a good one, as there is a hand cover the actual holes.. bu it give you an ide where they are in carb.. hope it helps.. it sure saved me hours.

not sure if image is showing or not.. my net is crap tonight. Its in the members gallery just posted it look for carb pictuer with red circle and 3 dots where the passages are.

Last edited by clok1966; 04-26-2012 at 01:41 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
there ya go clock
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
new owner

thanks Slim. Again I'm no carb expert and the CFV (correct letter arangment?) are even a bigger mystery.. but afte i took mine out and cleaned um and still had an issue.. ANYTHING besides pulling um out again was worth a try.. and when cleaning them I did check where those passages went. I do know it cleaned the "bonus" peice of ???? i got after spenidng 6 hours cleaning and 3 hours re- assembling... by spraying int he smalle hole for the Idle jet. As for choke.. this will only solve the problem if the air passage is blocked, and the carb cleaner or air can unblock it.. if its something else it will not help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement