Help Me Please!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Help Me Please!!!

So i was riding the other day and i ran out of gas. i switched to my reserve and it took a couple of tries but i got it started again. i made to a gas station and filled it up and switched the selector back to the on position again. i took several more attempts but i got her running again. but it was not really going when i gave it gas. i stopped to get something to eat and tried to start it again and again it took several tries. it finally died on me in an intersection and i had to push it to the side of the road. after several more attempts i set the fuel valve to the off position and it fired right up. i went several miles again and it died again moved the selector to on and no go. so i switched it to off again and it fired up. after i got it started again i let is idle for 10 minutes so i got on it and road for another mile and it died again. after i got it started again i rode for another mile and it started to die again and i moved the valve to the on position and back to off and i was able to get a few more miles to make it home doing that switching back and forth. so im not sure what the problem what it is. there is a hose that attaches next the the fuel selector and i took that off and held my finger to it with the gas turned on and it started to idle normally as apposed to when i took my finger off i idled under 1000 rpm. i uploaded the picture of the hose i mentioned. also if anyone knows what this other knob next to it does let me know please and thanks for your help in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-24_17-38-44_16.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	4468   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-24_17-38-23_946.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	4469  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Black knob is your idle adjustment !!! The rubber hose it appears is your vacume line to open petcock so fuel will flow to carbs. When the carbs run dry it takes some cranking to open petcock to get fuel flowing again. If your tank is not venting properly, fuel cannot flow. Ck out POOGS!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Check the vaccuum hose. Better yet replace the vaccuum hose that goes to the intake on the from carb.

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 AM

Garage
your petcock has ON, OFF, RESERVE....
are you sure you were turning to RES and not OFF?

The "handle" part of the petcock has to point to the RES (towards the front forks) to use the RESERVE.

Pointing down is ON.
Pointing towards the rear of the bike is OFF.

It sounds like you might have been turning it off instead of on the reserve.

Last edited by kc2dgq; 04-25-2012 at 11:33 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I tried all three positions the only time it would start up is if the switch is on off. Reserve or on do not even turn the bike on.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 PM

First thing that comes to mind: Your diaphragm is leaking fuel, and the engine is sucking extra in when the switch is allowing fuel to pass. Does any fuel come out of the petcock when you take the vacuum hose off?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

A little does drip from the carb but other than that no. I also forgot to mention when i was trying to start it the pressure in the tank would cause some fuel to leak from the gas cap. I had to wipe the tank several times.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Pressure from the tank... did you fill up while you we're sitting on it and have to wipe the tank when it's on the side stand? Maybe it's overfilled. There shouldn't be pressure like that in the tank. You might pop you gas cap open and run the bike. See if it stays running to find out if you might have an obstructed vent for the tank. I agree that the diaphragm might have a hole in it too. It's a valve that opens when it gets vacuum from the running engine. If busted the engine will pull gas through the hole and 'vacuum' it in

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska68 View Post
First thing that comes to mind: Your diaphragm is leaking fuel, and the engine is sucking extra in when the switch is allowing fuel to pass. Does any fuel come out of the petcock when you take the vacuum hose off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonelRenteria View Post
A little does drip from the carb but other than that no. I also forgot to mention when i was trying to start it the pressure in the tank would cause some fuel to leak from the gas cap. I had to wipe the tank several times.
In order to do the test Nebraska68 suggests, you need to remove both fuel lines at the petcock. The carb drip may be from fuel that has already made it to the carb and be leaking from a stuck float valve, etc.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Ok update guys it was a really simple fix actually. I think my first problem was that i over filled my tank. Second was that the vacuum hose i posted earlier was loose. So i pushed it up on the nipple as far as it would go and voila it works just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement