leaky carb, wont idle - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

leaky carb, wont idle

As above, the leaky carb is for the front cylinder. When the bike dies there is black smoke out the tailpipe. I'm real new to this, I just got the bike a couple of days ago and it was like this when I bought it. This sounds like a stuck or bad float valve to me. In another thread it was suggested to drain the float bowl and pour seafoam right down the gas line and let it soak. I just did that today and will let it soak for a day or so. I took the tank off to make it easier to get to the gas lines. I was also hoping to be able to see more of the carbs but there is this huge plastic thing in the way (airbox? surge tank?). I can see an advantage to shaving the ears now, more room. I swear if I have to pull the carbs I'll do a shave while I'm at it.
Another thing Ive noticed is that little flexible thing that lets you adjust the idle speed is broken. I have no idea where to find another one, or even if adjusting the idle is something I need to do often.
Oh, and its a 95 VN750. I paid a grand for it, so if I have to put another grand into it then I I'm still right at the retail book value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 04:58 PM

Garage
I would let the carbs soak overnight and see if it improves.

Pulling the carbs to clean them are a pain, so hopefully soaking them will unstick the float and clean out whatever is causing the problem.

Not sure if the idle adjust knob is broken, or if you need a new cable, but you really don't need to adjust it once you have it running right. You can look on eBay for those or maybe someone here has a spare.

I am sure one of the more experienced guys will be along to give you some sound advice on the carbs.

Good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
the big black box is the air duct. as for the carbs leaking, it could be a stuck float, or what i just dealt with on mine... a pin hole in the float allowing the float to fill up with gas. I have an extra float and idle adjustment screw if you need to go that rout.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
the big black box is the air duct. as for the carbs leaking, it could be a stuck float, or what i just dealt with on mine... a pin hole in the float allowing the float to fill up with gas. I have an extra float and idle adjustment screw if you need to go that rout.
Ok cool. That answers one thing I was wondering; what type of float it used. Many years ago I spent some time as a small engine mechanic and saw some solid foam floats but most were hollow like you describe. I once saw one that was crushed by water freezing in the float bowl. Hopefully the Seafoam works its magic or I'll end up having a mechanical adventure much sooner than I had planned on.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
they use plastic floats...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

PROGRESS!! The seafoam soak didn't work, but I read about shooting Gumout through the drain hole also. I couldn't get the tube into the drain hole, so I disconnected the fuel line again and shot it in there until the fuel line was full. I let it soak for about 15 minutes and then got it started. It idled ok at about 800rpm. Took it out for a spin and it no longer stalls on a downshift. However it won't idle at 800 when good and warm so I need to increase the idle speed. This is going to be a pain with the cable broken but I will manage it somehow, I just need to find a really small pair of channel lock or something to get in there to turn it.
On another note, it didn't seem to have the power that it did before. I fiddled with the pilot screws while trying to get it to idle, and had them turned out 2 turns when I rode it. I've since backed them out another turn. Where is a good place to start when setting them? Also, since it's called a pilot screw instead of an idle mixture screw, I'm guessing it sets the mix across the throttle range?

4/12/12 1st bike ever! 95 VN 750 13k
New plug wires
Iridiums
Coil relay mod
MCCT mod
Marbled
EPA stuff removed
Rear signals shaved
Shinko 170-110 oversized tourmaster tires
Splines lubed
Front signals relocated.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 AM

2 1/2 turns is a good starting point, idle 1100rpm
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Good, then I'mANDY right where I need to be. Took it for a little ride and when I got back the float was stuck again. More gumout. I figure I'll either get it all or melt down the rubber parts in which case I'm in for a rebuild anyway.

Addendum: The gumout worked again but I Torre a hike in a fuel line taking it off the tank. Maybe disintegrating fuel lines were my problem all along...

4/12/12 1st bike ever! 95 VN 750 13k
New plug wires
Iridiums
Coil relay mod
MCCT mod
Marbled
EPA stuff removed
Rear signals shaved
Shinko 170-110 oversized tourmaster tires
Splines lubed
Front signals relocated.

Last edited by skyboxer; 04-17-2012 at 11:16 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
bad fuel lines coulda been the culprit
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 06:37 PM
new owner

Sounds like mine, if you drain the bowls it starts and runs fine.. then one cylinder loads up. If i reve it comes back but it wont idle. I was going to tear the carbs out.. but right now a few hours at the actual "how the heck does it come out" stage Im leaning to something like this... I have read several threads on carb removal but didint expect it to be as bad as it is.. I would rather have teeth pulled.. Getting the boot between the carb and airbox (that is called Purge resivoiur in my manual?) 2 hours of wiggling and moveing and pulling and tyring not to ripp it.. Im going to try some cleaner...damn...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement