switch to a single carb - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
first place to start is finding a carb that will flow the correct cfm, then design an intake that will deliver the fuel/air mix to the engine in an efficient manner, and third hook it all up... as for what to use.. you are on your own there bud... my buddy and I were thinking of using a webber carb, or a carter YF downdraft carb.
Of all the people on this site you are only one of maybe two or three that I think always has good info!!
I think that you and your buddy are looking in the wrong place if you want to measure CFM. I don't believe that that carb matters as much as the intake manifold for measuring flow.
My Kawasaki 650 KLR runs a 40mm CV carb.
My Bultaco 370 Pursang runs a 40mm Amal.
My Suzuki 1200 Bandit runs four 36mm CV's.
A Harley big twin runs the same carb as my KLR but with different jets of coarse.
The carb that I would use for this project would be a 40 CV. They are a great carb and parts for them are very cheap. I have adapted this carb to many different bikes with a lot of great results.
Go to any Swap Meet and I am sure that you can pick up a good used one for $25 to $30. If you know anybody that works at a Harley shop you could get one for cheap from the guy that just put on that S&S. I did that. Got four for free!!!!!
Good luck if you proceed with this project.

Somebody could make some serious money with this setup! You could sell just the manifold or complete with carb and basic jet set-up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
I thought about Fuel injection but I want to make everything more simple. I found the carburetor I want to use it is a Lectron ( http://lectronfuelsystems.com/ .) They are self metering and there are no "JETS" to replace. They auto adjust. I know of several people running them on XS650's with great success. I just need to figure out the intake for the Vulcan.
Maybe they are better than when I ran them years ago. I sure hope so.

The problem I had was that they would keep going out of adjustment!
I was constantly fooling with the needles.
The other problem was if you were at sea level wnd went on a ride up to say 4000ft, you would have to re-adjust the puppy just to get home!!
I'll stick with the CV...............thanks
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 AM

I had a single carb set up on my Virago, I used a Mikuni flat slide carb that was spec'd for a 1200 sportster. The same carb would probaly work well on the Vulcan too. As for the intake mandral bent exhaust tubing cut and welded to fit like a Harley intake using the stock boots worked for a guy I knew on his Shadow. He just used one of his factory carbs for his setup and it worked pretty well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM

The 800 uses a 36mm Keihin carb - just fyi. Might be a good start for the 750. If you go FI realize you are going to need some 'brains' to tell the injector when to pulse, with the carb the vacuum does it on its own.

I learned something in Engineering school - KISS, keep it simple sweetie. In this case I think getting the single carb to work is a good idea, then if you want to go wild try for FI.

Good luck

Kenny
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:56 AM

Hi ,I don't know whether I have the right person here,but it was mentioned what bikes you owned and you listed 3 or 4 bikes and one was a Bultaco Pursang 370 with a 40mm Amal carb....if you could tell me what main jet you are running in that 40mm Amal that would be great...... thanks so much....... Mal Hunter......owns Bultaco Pursang MK 9 370 with 36mm Amal mk2
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:09 AM

Hi,I hope that this is the same person that has the three bikes .one was a Bultaco Pursang 370 with a 40mm Amal carb,if it is you would you know what size Main Jet you are running in the 40mm Amal...thanks so much Mal Hunter...bike Bultaco MK 9 370 Pursang..with 36mm Amal carb
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:22 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

This thread is 6 years old. Try www.advrider.com They have a section for vintage bikes, including dirt bikes. My first bike was a Bultaco. I believe it was Lobito 100.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:22 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldy7 View Post
Hi,I hope that this is the same person that has the three bikes .one was a Bultaco Pursang 370 with a 40mm Amal carb,if it is you would you know what size Main Jet you are running in the 40mm Amal...thanks so much Mal Hunter...bike Bultaco MK 9 370 Pursang..with 36mm Amal carb
You were referring to Wolfie, he passed away a couple years a go
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
You were referring to Wolfie, he passed away a couple years a go
Wolfie passed away? 😢 That was before I ever joined here, but it's still sad.

'89 Vulcan 750 Bought 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800
Purchased stock. Wrecked once
26980.4+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB
110/90 Front Tire
Pick-up coil re-gapped to .020"
Compufire 55402 r/r series regulator
USB Outlet + Voltmeter
Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages
Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG
MCCT conversion