Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

pod filters

Here is yet another reason not to use pod filters. Most of my tuning experience has been with carbureted American car engines, I have very little experience with bikes, especially street bikes. I've always known that pod filters let a lot more dirt through, but here is something else I never even thought of, regarding their use on newer motorcycles. This is a post from another forum, form someone who does know something about motorcycle tuning.

"The big issue is that most carbureted bikes from the '80s on up, uses Constant Velocity carbs. The throttle controls only a butterfly valve. The slide and jet needle, which affect air flow and fuel metering, operate by a vacuum diaphragm that is controlled by negative pressure within the carburetor throat (venturi). It's a clever design, intended to keep the engine from bogging when the throttle is whacked open, but it's designed to work as a system with the airbox. So, switching to pod filters not only affects the fuel flow through the pilot and main jets, but also throws the slide calibration out of whack. Good luck trying to retune to compensate for all of that"

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Here is yet another reason not to use pod filters. Most of my tuning experience has been with carbureted American car engines, I have very little experience with bikes, especially street bikes. I've always known that pod filters let a lot more dirt through, but here is something else I never even thought of, regarding their use on newer motorcycles. This is a post from another forum, form someone who does know something about motorcycle tuning.

"The big issue is that most carbureted bikes from the '80s on up, uses Constant Velocity carbs. The throttle controls only a butterfly valve. The slide and jet needle, which affect air flow and fuel metering, operate by a vacuum diaphragm that is controlled by negative pressure within the carburetor throat (venturi). It's a clever design, intended to keep the engine from bogging when the throttle is whacked open, but it's designed to work as a system with the airbox. So, switching to pod filters not only affects the fuel flow through the pilot and main jets, but also throws the slide calibration out of whack. Good luck trying to retune to compensate for all of that"
so ,since you nor this guy have figured it out,no none else has?Sorry Jerry,Tell him if he needs help .We're Here for him,we have.We all understand you don't like K&N filters,But I am just curious why you want to keep Jousting with this particular windmill.

If you want to pick a cause to crusade for, make it something worthwhile like Feed the Children or something ,The one or maybe now ,2 man, war on K&N filters is bordering on an obsession.You don't like K&N .We get it already.Others do and you are wasting your time worrying about what someone does to their bike.It is not my concern,example:I don't like Ape Hangers on a bike,but if anyone else does ,I could care less .Live and let live.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 03-28-2012 at 08:43 AM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Old Fart

Garage
All stock carbs are designed to work with the stock airbox. Fuking Duh.

You change the air intake, you need to change the fuel metering. This is why there's a list of reccomended jetting changes you have to use when you switch to pod type filters. Another DUH there.

CV carbs adapt to ENGINE vacuum...and try to suck in the needed air through whatever air intake you use. It's not the other way around. Add more air and you need to add more fuel.... Believe it or not it is as simple ad that....

And another DILLIGAF . And DILLIGAF what some clown in another forum thinks either?

Although about scooters, a good explanation on how CV carbs work:
http://battlescooter.com/1.html

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 03-28-2012 at 10:42 AM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 AM
gun slinger

Garage
i like the bigger rear tire and

my uncle built a gazaboo

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

1987 kawasaki vulcan 750 SOLD

1985 kawasaki vulcan 700 parts bike maybe
lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 AM
2FAS4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post

You change the air intake, you need to change the fuel metering. This is why there's a list of reccomended jetting changes you have to use when you switch to pod type filters. Another DUH there.

CV carbs adapt to ENGINE vacuum...and try to suck in the needed air through whatever air intake you use. It's not the other way around. Add more air and you need to add more fuel.... Believe it or not it is as simple ad that....

And another DILLIGAF . And DILLIGAF what some clown in another forum thinks either?

KM
You crack me up
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Why is it everybody gets upset about my opinion when there are several people on here who openly advocate doing the "earshave" thing, and recommend it to beginners, without explaining the consequences? I have done a couple of mods to my bike that work perfectly for me, but I am NOT recommending them to anyone else, because there COULD be possible consequences, especially for a beginner.

While I am NOT a motorcycle tuner, I do know that stock motorcycles, especially high performance motorcycles like the Vulcan 750, are highly tuned by design. And they were designed by an engineer (actually likely more than one). They have been tested and retested. Their tuning has been refined to be as close to perfection as the engineers could get it. I am NOT an engineer, but I do rely on information from them when I work on such things.

By the way, the guy that posted that is both a roadracer and race engine builder with lots of experience.
roadpouring likes this.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post

KM
Just curious. Do you have pod filters on your FJR? Have you made any intake or exhaust mods to it at all?

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fas4u View Post
You crack me up
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Just curious. Do you have pod filters on your FJR? Have you made any intake or exhaust mods to it at all?
No. But i have oiled foam "pod" filters on my project Vulcan. They were there when I bought the bike. The bike ran great. LOUD..... But noticeably faster than my stock 750.

Have have no issue with the post by the "racer" other than him saying pod filters throw the "slide out of whack". CV carbs work their best when the intake air is at atmospheric pressure. They actually rely on this to work. Unrestricting the air intake will in fact make the carb work more efficiently.

2nd...bike is not designed to run perfectly by engineers from the start. They unfortunately have to make concessions with EPA, other government regs, and marketing concerns.... Which ends up making the bike a compromise. I once asked a Yamaha rep why they just didn't tune their bike with simple bolt on airfilters and he listed everything from noise to liability do to higher chances of engine fire. So sorry, no stock motor is designed with complete performance perfection as the main goal.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Captive New Yorker....

Send a message via AIM to peterherrm
I bought K&N filters to replace the stock filters in the ears. I'm leaving the ears in place. Am I going to have to adjust the carbs to use these new filters?

Pete Herrmann
1994 Vulcan 750 40K on the clock and counting....

Bought 4/2011 28k Miles,
New Rick's Motorsports R/R
Tim Parrot Stator
Tuxedo Mod
KAW Saddlebag/signal relocation brackets
NGK Iridium Plugs
TOC MCCT's
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterherrm View Post
I bought K&N filters to replace the stock filters in the ears. I'm leaving the ears in place. Am I going to have to adjust the carbs to use these new filters?
Probably not, the little square hole in the air filter is the most restrictive thing in the intake system. Just be aware the K&N filters are more porous, and will allow more dirt to pass through them. Of course, unlike pod filters which are completely open, the filters inside the ears are protected from a lot of dirt.

I would never use K&N filters here, the air is always full of dust. You can wash your bike one day, let it sit outside for 24 hours, and write your name in the dust on the tank.

While the little square holes are pretty restrictive, there is suction there, from engine vacuum, so it will suck in any dust that gets close to the holes. Best to keep those filters soaked with as much oil as they will hold without dripping.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement