Half ear shave? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Half ear shave?

Ok, so is this possible? I was cleaning up my bike a little.. Painted the grill, master, cut off and filed the right perch, painted the back of the ears, re-keyed the tool box, took off all the badges, etc...

Anyway, as I put everything back the last part was the left ear.. I really liked the way it looked with the right ear only.. I was about to order the parts to do a full shave but now I only want half.. I want to keep on the right side and seal up the left.. I've never taken off the tank but I assume both ears share one air box.. has anyone done this? I don't really care if it cost me 1 or 2hp as long as the bikes performance is close to what I have now..

1995 VN750 (SOLD)
05-06 CBR600 R/R
ACCT>MCCT mod
engine guard w/HW pegs
Tires, 230's (170/110)
Smaller blinkers
Driving lights
Pickup coil mod
Speedo delete
mirrors w/reverse mount
Black grips

2000 Buell X1 Lightning
Carbon fiber fender F&R
Carbon fiber fly screen
Carbon fiber race intake
Works Shock
V&H Muffler
SS headers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:58 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It's all going to depend on the connection between the ear and the airbox. The ears have square holes in the back, properly sized to allow the right amount of air through, assuming you have both ears. If you use just one, you will have to find a way to double the airflow through it. The square hole can be enlarged, but if the duct between the ear and the airbox is too small, it won't work. It will cause the bike to run really rich, and lose a lot of power. Would be like running it with the choke on.

There is another way you could do it, but I don't recommend it. The "ears" bolt on by themselves, without being connected to the airbox. You could do the full "earshave" then just leave the one ear on for looks. The problem with that is to do an earshave, you have to use pod filters that attach directly to the carbs, and they don't even come close to filtering as well as the stock filters do. They will allow a lot more dirt to be sucked into the engine, reducing engine life. Most everyone who does the earshave thing knows this, and doesn't care. They must be trying to make the Vulcan 750 become extinct as soon as possible. I want mine to last as long as possible. I bought it new, paid a new price for it, plus put a lot of genuine Kawasaki accessories on it. From a financial standpoint alone I need it to last as long as possible, but as a professional mechanic, it offends my sensibilities to intentionally damage something, especially something that cannot be replaced. They quit making the Vulcan 750 in '06, and despite it's incredibly long production run, they apparently didn't sell that many of them. I rarely ever see one, and everybody wants to know what mine is. When I tell them, they still don't have a clue. It's amazing how many long time riders don't even know Kawasaki made a Vulcan 750. They all know all about the Yamaha Virago, but not the Vulcan. When you tell them the bikes were very similar, they just walk away shaking their heads.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 05:19 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I have seen some one use a Hypercharger on the right side.. they made a block off plate for the left ear, and an adapter for the right ear. or a new air box would also be an option to eliminate the said ear.. or another option all together... do the full ear shave, and just leave the right ear... I did the ear shave, but left the ears to use for electrical boxes.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas.. I think I'm going to try it today.. Just to see how she reacts, I'm going to pop off the ear and tape it up.. if that don't work I was going to put some filter material in the extension tube.. I like the idea of making a new air box.. I was going to remove the side struts and make a new seat pan out of glass.. So I'm going to burn a little gas today pull the tank and see what I have to work with..

1995 VN750 (SOLD)
05-06 CBR600 R/R
ACCT>MCCT mod
engine guard w/HW pegs
Tires, 230's (170/110)
Smaller blinkers
Driving lights
Pickup coil mod
Speedo delete
mirrors w/reverse mount
Black grips

2000 Buell X1 Lightning
Carbon fiber fender F&R
Carbon fiber fly screen
Carbon fiber race intake
Works Shock
V&H Muffler
SS headers

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Totally ignoring Jerry's airfilter paranoia , I think the suggestion to do an Earshave and just leave the one airbox on would be the way to go.

The system was designed for two filters, and although it does seem
Logical to just double the size of the one boxes intake hole, you need to understand the filter itself was designed to flow X amount air and you can't be sure how it will work with double the flow. (how's that for a sentence?)

My project bike has pod filters on it....oiled foam ones. I think they work just as well as the stick ones, provided you clean them often.

I am assuming you already marbled or coastsred of course?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post

I am assuming you already marbled or coastsred of course?
not yet but it is on my short list ..

1995 VN750 (SOLD)
05-06 CBR600 R/R
ACCT>MCCT mod
engine guard w/HW pegs
Tires, 230's (170/110)
Smaller blinkers
Driving lights
Pickup coil mod
Speedo delete
mirrors w/reverse mount
Black grips

2000 Buell X1 Lightning
Carbon fiber fender F&R
Carbon fiber fly screen
Carbon fiber race intake
Works Shock
V&H Muffler
SS headers

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncgizmo View Post
not yet but it is on my short list ..
Well shorten the list some more, because the reed valve hoses feed into the air box. So you'll need to deal with them if you end up removing or altering the airbox.

I suggest just going with coasters rather than trying to keep the system on the bike.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Well shorten the list some more, because the reed valve hoses feed into the air box. So you'll need to deal with them if you end up removing or altering the airbox.

I suggest just going with coasters rather than trying to keep the system on the bike.
Thanks for the heads up..

Yesterday I pulled the left ear and taped up the intake.. As Jerry said, "it ran liked the choke was on" I kinda thought that would be the case.. but had to give it the old collage try anyway.

BTW, Why do the coasters? isn't about the same when you block the hose?
I don't have the tools to make the plate out of hard metals any more.. any thoughts on using 1/8 or 3/16 inch Aluminum stock?

1995 VN750 (SOLD)
05-06 CBR600 R/R
ACCT>MCCT mod
engine guard w/HW pegs
Tires, 230's (170/110)
Smaller blinkers
Driving lights
Pickup coil mod
Speedo delete
mirrors w/reverse mount
Black grips

2000 Buell X1 Lightning
Carbon fiber fender F&R
Carbon fiber fly screen
Carbon fiber race intake
Works Shock
V&H Muffler
SS headers

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:32 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You can buy coasters already made, or you can do what I did and keep the stock covers, and put 5/8" rubber plugs on them where you took the hoses off. You can get those cheap at auto parts stores, they are sold for blocking off heater hose connections when the hoses are removed.

The "earshave" thing really is bad for the bike, if you use those K&N pod filters. They let a LOT more dirt through than the stock filters. How big of a problem it is will depend on where you live. Here in the AZ desert, where the air is always full of dust, they would significantly shorten the life of the engine. If you live in a place where it rains a lot, and the air is pretty clean, it would make less of a difference. Riding a street bike here is almost as bad as riding a dirt bike in many places. What many people think is "smog" is actually just dust. Central and southern AZ is one huge dustbowl.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement