Tighten all screws! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Tighten all screws!

This isn't 700-750 related but since it could be, I thought I'd post it here.

I've spent the last month, every possible moment in daylight and heat, trying to fix a problem with my KZ1000P, bogging down when I go above about 4000 rpms. It all came about when it sat for 2 months after I bought my Vulcan and I stopped riding the cop bike. Once I had finished the starter clutch rebuild, and the valve shim job (things I was doing in prep to sell the cop bike) I finally started her up to take it for a test ride. Well, it idled like crap so I threw some sea foam in the tank and went for a ride. It smoothed out quite a bit just in my 10 mile ride but still wouldn't idle well. So, I took off the carbs and cleaned the pilot jets etc. Put them back on and it idled better but now it it just was missing or sluggish at over 4000 rpms. Well, to make a long story short (shorter) after replacing the rubber manifolds that were cracked and leaking vacuum, replacing the plugs, wires and caps, replacing the plugs again all in the last month, and nearly setting the bike on fire or putting a .45 bullet through it, yesterday I decided to once more look at the carbs. Plugs were always black so I knew I had a rich mixture, and after verifying that my spark was strong (weak spark can cause spark plug to show black like a rich mix) it had to be in the carbs. So I pulled them again and as I was carrying them to my bucket to drain the bowls, I heard something rattling around loose inside. Once I sat down at my workbench, and removed all the bowl screws, I found the the #1 and #2 main jets and washers were laying in the bottom of the bowls, and #3 and #4 main jets were loose. Guess I had finger tightened them but never actually put a screwdriver on them last time. Needless to say, after tightening everything up and putting the carbs back on, I took it for a test run and I'll be danged if that didn't fix the problem!

I laughed to myself thinking what I'd been through because of my little error. I consider myself to be a pretty good mechanic, and pretty smart over all. But I felt pretty stupid yesterday. I'd probably still be mad at myself if it hadn't been such a load off when I found the problem.

So anyway, just remember to double check to make sure you're tightening everything up before you go through the trouble of putting your carbs back on. I'm sure you younger guys and gals don't have problems remembering things like this.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Gnarly Jokester

Location: Southwest of Ruby Ridge, Geiger Heights, Washington, USA.

Those cop bikes..

Yeah, I can see why things get loose and even fall off those cop bikes.
Since it's the tax payers bike really the cops run the hec out of them.

`
"When the sun's comin' up,
I got cakes on the griddle.
Life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle,
Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"

`
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Once Banned

That's really funny.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 06:51 PM

Why the red tape on the tach? or is that an optical illusion?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 10:40 PM

I bet that kz scoots huh? Is it top heavy ?

--bye , bilyum--
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Yeah, a little top heavy maybe. But yeah it will get up to 85 real fast but that's all I've tried. It seemed to have plenty left at 85. Everyone says it gets squirrelly at high speeds. It has pretty small tires (110-90-18 front and 140-90-18 I think on back), especially for a bike it's size.
It's got 64K miles on the engine, battle scars on both sides of the engine guards and rear rails from sliding. It was a Ft.Worth cop bike until it retired in 2002. You wouldn't believe the list of stuff I've done to it.

I'd guess that if the VN750 can do mid 13's in the quarter mile, the cop bike can probably do low 12's, but I'm guessing since I've not see any quarter mile specs on it. Just feels like it could compared to the Vulcan.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement