Whistleeeee - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Whistleeeee

Well im riding down the road and everything was normal and out of no where my bike wouldnt accelerate over 5000 and was hesiating almost as if it were out of gas however it had 1/2 a tank, Then it shutoff on me and didnt want to start for about 30 seconds. Then turned on and drove perfectly fine to the house. When i got home i turned it off an started it 5 or 6 times with no problems. However i did notice a whistle coming from the gas cap that was never there. Could that whistling cap have anything to do with it cutting off on me?

2006 Vulcan 750
Bone stock for now

future plans:
Ape Hangers
exhaust
lower
slim down all the lights
Smaller seat

Let me know if you have anything i might need

GO GATORS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Possible POOGS
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=poogs

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Yea I just read that after i posted this actally going downstairs to play with it now

2006 Vulcan 750
Bone stock for now

future plans:
Ape Hangers
exhaust
lower
slim down all the lights
Smaller seat

GO GATORS!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Yea I just went down there and theres no hose coming from the tank towards the back tire. However i took the cap off and shot a WD40 throught the hose built in the tank and it wasnt coming out of the bottom. Untill i sprayed some keyboard aerosal spray and then wd40 and it started coming out. SOOOOOO seems as if it was clogged somehow. Hopefully that fixed the problem. guess i will find out this weekend!

2006 Vulcan 750
Bone stock for now

future plans:
Ape Hangers
exhaust
lower
slim down all the lights
Smaller seat

GO GATORS!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 PM

Whistling from the gas cap, also known as a hissing sound, means lack of proper ventilation. First try riding it with the cap unlocked. If it works ok, then it was a venting problem. If you have a CA model with 2 hoses connected to the tank, right in front of the seat, the solution is simple. Remove both hoses, get more hoses of the same size, and run both of them from the gas tank down below the bike. Leave the ends open.

If it is a non CA bike, with only one hose on the tank, first take the gas cap apart and remove anything you find in there. There is a valve in most of them that won't let them vent properly. Now, at the very back of the filler opening is a rubber grommet. This is part of the venting system, and it is very common for it to swell shut due to use of alcohol gas, closing off the vent. Just remove it. It pulls right out. Make sure the vent fitting on the cap that goes into that rubber grommet is not plugged. You can replace the grommet, but if you are using alcohol gas, it will get destroyed again fairly quickly.

While some disagree with this, IMO, there should NEVER, EVER be either positive pressure of a vacuum in a gas tank. It should always be atmospheric pressure, and the vent should be sufficient to release any pressure or vacuum instantly. This is just common sense, same as there should always be at least a slight vacuum in the crankcase when the engine is running. Oddly enough, one of the first emissions control devices they put on cars, back in the early '60s, was a PCV system (positive crankcase ventilation). This actually used engine vacuum to suck air and whatever might be in it out of the crankcase. It worked better at keeping the crankcase clean than it did as an emissions device. For some reason, motorcycles have not yet adopted this method of venting the crankcase. Probably for the same reasons they still have tube type tires and don't have a real charging system ('88 and up Goldwings excepted)

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmdog58 View Post
Yea I just went down there and theres no hose coming from the tank towards the back tire. However i took the cap off and shot a WD40 throught the hose built in the tank and it wasnt coming out of the bottom. Untill i sprayed some keyboard aerosal spray and then wd40 and it started coming out. SOOOOOO seems as if it was clogged somehow. Hopefully that fixed the problem. guess i will find out this weekend!
Hope you solved the problem

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Me to!!!!! I am however going to get a new hose to run from the tank to in front of the back tire just incase that was an issue. Even tho i know it hasnt had one since ive owned it cant hurt to have one

2006 Vulcan 750
Bone stock for now

future plans:
Ape Hangers
exhaust
lower
slim down all the lights
Smaller seat

GO GATORS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement