tricks for getting the carbs in and out? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

tricks for getting the carbs in and out?

I've been over an hour tring to get my carbs back in my 05.
the only way I can get them in and out of there is with no intake boots on and the rear cylnder air box boot off.
Then I can get the carbs in but I have no chance of getting all the boots in and on.
I've tried leaving to front boot on the motor and leaving the rear boot on the carb but nothing is working.
Any tips other than dynamite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Hi Adam

Take of both airducts of the airbox above the carbs lift the airbox as high as you can i wedged my airbox up with wooden wedges, you have to leave the other boots one on the front cylinder and the other on the rear carb, put some lube on the boots to aid them slipping on you hav to get the carbs as high up as possible to get them in, don't forget to line the intake boots up correctly as per the manual, have fun I did mine last week.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

It is tough being a carb. virgin. The only thing I can add to swagman's post is:
1. carbs go in from the right.
2. lean the carbs over to the right and twist upright after going in about 25% of the way to clear the throttle cable linkage, the trick is to keep the carbs as high as possible
3. you may have to loosen/remove boot clamps until near the end to make room (DON'T FORGET TO PUT THEM BACK ON before lowering the carb into the boots
4. It would be easier to put the cables on before installing the carbs
5. There are round, raised orientation marks on the end of the boots (i think on the head side)-- these go outboard.

One hour is nothing- it took me several hours the first time

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 PM

Take a while yes it did me too a looooooong while my back is still hurting a week later lol
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam500 View Post
I've been over an hour tring to get my carbs back in my 05.
the only way I can get them in and out of there is with no intake boots on and the rear cylnder air box boot off.
Then I can get the carbs in but I have no chance of getting all the boots in and on.
I've tried leaving to front boot on the motor and leaving the rear boot on the carb but nothing is working.
Any tips other than dynamite?
You're on the right track. These comments from link below:
NOTE:
The front cylinder carb/cylinder rubber boot will REMAIN ATTACHED to the cylinder head during removal of carb assembly
Loosen the carb-side screw ONLY of the front cylinder carb/cylinder rubber boot. This rubber boot will REMAIN on cylinder!
Loosen the cylinder-side screw ONLY of the rear cylinder carb/cylinder rubber boot. This rubber boot will REMAIN on carb!

Carefully re-install carb assembly. I found it easier to get the front cylinder connected first, then connected rear.double check to ensure boots are properly installed/aligned.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I've had mine off and back twice. It is time consuming, but not really difficult if you think it through. Remove anything that can possibly get in the way, except the airbox, which cannot be removed without first removing the engine. Get some rope, bungee cords, or really big zip ties, remove the tank, and tie the airbox to the frame backbone tube really tight, so it cannot move. The carbs, with the throttle cables already attached, go in fronm the right side. You cannot put the ducts that go between the airbox back on until the carbs are securely mounted to the engine. Then install them in the airbox, and untie it, letting it drop down so the ducts will line up with the carbs. Make real sure the ducts are fully seated in the airbox. I wound up having to replace the front one, because after I got the carbs back on, I noticed the flange on the duct was not completely flat against the airbox. I tried to use a screwdriver to push it into place, and poked a hole right through it. $50 down the drain.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 AM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Jerry you got lucky,50 bucks!! I broke the idle adjust knob at the thread end to carb, that bast--d was 79 bucks!!! Plus that $1 a nasty word jar got pretty full. I did learn real quick, take your time and think your way thru, its tough but ----

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Well I got them in!
Thanks for all the info guys, it really did help.
I have a overhead beam in my garage directly above my bike lift. I took a ratchet stap and slung it under the surge box and cranked her up as much as I dared! That gave me just enuff room to get the carbs in with boot on the front cylender and the rear on the carb. I didn't quite have the boots alinged right so I spent a lot of time screwing around getting everything squared up and clamped.
I havn't started it yet, waiting on a set of spark plugs.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM

Thats great Adam pleased you got them in ok, took mine out for its first run today after being off the road since 1998, ran very well but I only went a mile or so will build up gradually till I trust my spannering has worked ok
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 11:06 PM

So happy this thread was suggested to me! I thought I was going to ruin the air box by forcing it up, but it sounds like its the norm for getting the carbs back in. I will use rope tomorrow. Great info, thanks to the vets from a carb newbie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement