Open fitler... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to TheBoy
Open fitler...

I own a 1986 Vulcan 750. And when i bought it, it already had aftermarket pipes on and was never jetted. Then the bike sat for 3 years and now she is mine. I have done a good amount of work on her apperance because i didnt have my M class yet, but now its time to get the bike running right. So what i was thinking is get it jetted and then run with open K&N filters. I was wondering if this will give me more power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoy
I own a 1986 Vulcan 750. And when i bought it, it already had aftermarket pipes on and was never jetted. Then the bike sat for 3 years and now she is mine. I have done a good amount of work on her apperance because i didnt have my M class yet, but now its time to get the bike running right. So what i was thinking is get it jetted and then run with open K&N filters. I was wondering if this will give me more power?
It is common knowledge on this board that the stock filters are actually really good. switching to K&N filters will do next to nothing for power, and you really dont need to rejet afterwards. just a waste of money.

Now if you get rid of the ears, then you will need your K&N filters (or any other suitable brand) and you will need a rejet. as far as power gain, it has more so to do with the fact the bike runs a little on the lean side from factory. by doing the ear removal and the rejet, you can prob gain 5-7 hp max at the crank. like i said the rejet is more of the cause of this power then the ear removal.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, thats what i wanted to know. And when i said "Open Filter" I ment removing the ears. I was just going to put a cone K&N fileter on the carbs and have then hiddin under the tank. I have seen this done before a couple times with this bike and was wondering if it was better or worse for the performance.

What about water though? When it rains and my bike is outside, do i have to worry about covering the filters to keep them in better condition or from getting water in my carbs? Or will they be ok?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
If you do this, you will have to rejet the bike. Check out http://www.bulldogsbike.com for pic's of my VN750 with the earshave. I've riden the bike through Noah's Ark rain and never had a problem with rain in the filters.

I run Uni-pod filters on mine.

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL

Last edited by bulldog485; 07-27-2006 at 07:38 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Growling at the World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizzo3
It is common knowledge on this board that the stock filters are actually really good. switching to K&N filters will do next to nothing for power, and you really dont need to rejet afterwards. just a waste of money.
I will have to totally disagree with you on that statement about the power. I have a modified shaved VN750 and it blows away stock Vn750's in speed. Ask a Chicagoland VN750 owner named John Hayden who a few weeks ago got a first hand demostration on how fast a shaved VN750 can be... Took him about a minute to catch up to me at the next stop light...

Now, gas milage is lost but for long distance I have my Nomad

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Once Banned

I think Hizzo is referring to replacing the stock filters with K&N filters - leaving the ears in place.

Who was it? Somebody on the Yahoo board that got the HP checked on a dyno, and their HP with the ear shave was 44 HP (Rear wheel HP as opposed to the "at the engine" that Kawasaki states).

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Growling at the World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegodsey
I think Hizzo is referring to replacing the stock filters with K&N filters - leaving the ears in place.
So he is... Sorry...Was in a hurry at work with only a few minutes to play...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegodsey

Who was it? Somebody on the Yahoo board that got the HP checked on a dyno, and their HP with the ear shave was 44 HP (Rear wheel HP as opposed to the "at the engine" that Kawasaki states).
44 HP! Is that a type-o?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
no, i dont think it is. we lose about 15 hp through the tranny, drive shaft, stator, oil and water pumps. that would pull from the 55 hp down to 40 rwhp. earshave makes up about 4-5. keep in mind though acceleration is taken from HP/weight ratio. your bike is about 500 +/- a few lbs.

btw bulldog, its alright no biggie. i was in a hurry at work too and could have made it more clear

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 07:48 PM

i was thinking about taking the ears off and putting small filters directly onto my carbs, but im just curious what jets do i need to replace and what size?, (pilot jet, mainjet?) (sizes?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement