Need help with POOGS - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Need help with POOGS

I am attempting to solve the POOGS problem on my 97 model I printed out the directions from the Sticky posted above. Everything was going fine until I got down to step 8. I was able to remove the lock assembly with no problem but the gasket was stuck to the bottom of the lock mechanism and I could not get it loose without taking a chance on tearing it. Is there a way to get the gasket off without tearing it or if not is the gasket available from Kaw?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Heres a schematic and parts. The only gasket I see is for a CA model bike.
http://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/p...C15C1585F24103

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyman View Post
I am attempting to solve the POOGS problem on my 97 model I printed out the directions from the Sticky posted above. Everything was going fine until I got down to step 8. I was able to remove the lock assembly with no problem but the gasket was stuck to the bottom of the lock mechanism and I could not get it loose without taking a chance on tearing it. Is there a way to get the gasket off without tearing it or if not is the gasket available from Kaw?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Travis
Where is the gasket, and is it a CA model (they were sold all over the country) The easiest way to check if it is a CA model is to remove the seat and look at the rear of the gas tank. If it has 2 fittings on it, it is a CA model, if it has 1 fitting, it isn't. In order to get rid of the POOGS problem, the gas tank must be vented to the atmosphere. Are you sure that is what the problem is to start with? Have you tried riding it with the cap open?

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:18 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
I have a CA bike and thought I was having POOGS, and after reading about cures and cleaning vent passages ect, and did that, came to conclusion that I was being a tad bit slow turning to reserve. Is good to know about these things and do have it on my maintanance list!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM

Hwyman, did you take a wire and clean the vent tube? Also it would not hurt to put a good dose of seafoam into the tank.

A while back I had the same problem, the bike sputtered and finally died and I couldn't get it started. Waited on the side of the road for 15 minutes and finally it kicked over. Then I realized that I should have flipped to reserve the first time I felt the motor hesitate. When you let all the fuel get sucked out of the lines it takes a while until gravity pulls the gas down and refills the float tanks on the carbs. Have not let that happen again. Good luck.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Yea, that was kind of what I was saying--exact situtation with me!!!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 07:43 PM

If your gas cap is making a hissing sound after you shut off the engine, you need to take the cap apart and remove the valve in it. There should never be pressure or a vacuum in the tank. There should be a clear open vent to the atmosphere.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
If your gas cap is making a hissing sound after you shut off the engine, you need to take the cap apart and remove the valve in it. There should never be pressure or a vacuum in the tank. There should be a clear open vent to the atmosphere.
This is NOT correct. A hissing gas cap is a GOOD thing. The hissing sound is the tank venting system functioning as designed, letting air in or out. If there is NO hissing, then I would be worried.

Also, it is possible to have pressure or vacuum in the gas tank. The reason has to do with the very small vent hole in the gas cap, not the valve. The vent hole is very small, too small to handle any sudden or extreme changes in pressure. For example, when filling the gas tank on a hot sunny day. The gas coming out of the pump is stored in an cold underground tank and the bike's tank and air temperature is very hot. The cold gas expands quickly in the hot tank and there is a extended hiss as the expanding gas forces the remaining air out through the small vent hole (followed by an overflow you the tank was topped off too much). The tiny vent hole is also the main cause of most POOGS and the reason why removing the valve (if it is functioning properly) will NOT permanently prevent POOGS from reoccurring.

As for help with the original post, fear not. My assembly was stuck to the gasket as well, but it broke free with just a few twists, with no damage to the gasket. Just gently twist it back and forth.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 12:32 AM

That is incorrect, but with some designs may be unavoidable. The vent should be big enough to INSTANTLY release any pressure or vacuum in the tank. I have such a vent on my CA model, I use the overflow fitting (the one that is not on non CA models) as a vent, and it is the same inside diameter as the inside of the vent hose, all the way into the tank. Maybe CA models are the ones to have, if it is not possible to properly vent the tank on non CA models. I would still remove that valve, and also remove the little rubber grommet at the back of the gas filler opening on a non CA model. That little grommet is apparently the passageway from the vent hose into the tank, and with todays alcohol gas, they tend to swell up and block the vent. If I couldn't get rid of the hissing (which is a symptom of insufficient venting) any other way, I would drill a hole in the cap, install a fitting in it, and connect a rubber vent hose directly to the cap, like it is done on dirt bikes. No hissing for me thank you. By the way, my Vulcans, a '93 and an '02, both CA models, are the ONLY bikes I have ever owned that did that. And they didn't do it for long.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement