Cleaning Carbs - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning Carbs

I've only had the bike twelve days now and the bike sat for a couple years. Thought it would be best to pull carbs and clean. I checked the fuel level with a clear tube and they were both 1/8" above screw. Is this good? Going to drill out caps and back out mixture screws. Anything else I need to do with the carbs while there out (hoping this is the last time I have to remove them - PAIN)? One thing that caught my attention is the black soot in the tail pipes and in the reeds. Is it to rich? I was told everything is stock including the jets.. Thanks for you input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Calif Rider

Hope you did really good job at cleaning the carbs, some others thought they did also but found out after installing it was not good enough. These carbs have very small holes that can easily get clogged. Make sure your gas tank is clean and well flushed, and no rust or dirt.Put Sea Foam in the gas when you first try to start it up. I would say that if you see that much black soot in the pipe, it was running very rich or it is burning oil. Check the plugs if it get running at all, also look for black or white smoke after running for a few minutes. Hope all goes well with getting it up and running.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

1/8" is a little high, but these bikes are jetted a little lean from the factory, so you may be OK, just check the plugs to see if they're fouling. The front and rear float heights are different, and from memory, the correct values are around .030"-.040" not .125"

If you are at sea level, consider upsizing your pilot jet one size and adding a couple of washer (needle) spacers under the needles, but your plugs can tell you a lot about how your mixture is running. When I did this to mine, I no longer have to touch the idle speed knob with temprature changes, and there is no more surging on the highway.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2001 View Post
1/8" is a little high, but these bikes are jetted a little lean from the factory, so you may be OK, just check the plugs to see if they're fouling. The front and rear float heights are different, and from memory, the correct values are around .030"-.040" not .125"
Kelly is correct, front a rear fuel levels are different.

Quote:
From the Clymer manual, the correct fuel level reading is as follows:

Front carb: 0.8 mm (0.03") BELOW to 1.2 mm (0.047") ABOVE the upper edge of the lower mounting screw.

Rear carb: 1.2 mm (0.047") BELOW to 0.8 mm (0.03") ABOVE the upper edge of the lower mounting screw.
Hope this helps.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement