Petcock Nipples - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Petcock Nipples

I cant believe I said petcock nipples. OH MY !!!!!!!!!!!
Any way. The tank had not had fule in it for some time, so when I gassed her up she was not letting gas through. I took my pet cock apart and rebuilt it. Petcock is off-run-res with vac. (I cleaned tank too but it will need more love) I had seen that the lines were cloged with particles. Their was only one filter on the main line the filter on the reserve is missing. If any one knows were to get a replacement filter I would appreciate the info. (I run 2 inline filters as backup) The diaphram was dry rotted so I ordered a new one. And replaced the two Orings, one on the base of the petcock and the oring on the selector. The gasket with the 4 holes looked ok. I sprayed the metal with oven cleaner and cleaned it to get rust off and soaked it in water and cream of tarter to get Alumoxide off and gave it a good clean and buff to make it clean and shinny. I even took out the vacume nipple and made sure the little reed was their. It went back on bike and worked fine. As I was trying to cynk carb one of the fule line nipples poped off. I cleaned it and was trying to figure out why it came out. I see a notch around the shaft were it looked like an oring would go but it does not go comletely aroud and is to shallow to so take one. It looks as it had some sort of sealer on it. I know that it was pressed in because of the tight tollerances. Anyone with info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamigenie View Post
I cant believe I said petcock nipples. OH MY !!!!!!!!!!!
Any way. The tank had not had fule in it for some time, so when I gassed her up she was not letting gas through. I took my pet cock apart and rebuilt it. Petcock is off-run-res with vac. (I cleaned tank too but it will need more love) I had seen that the lines were cloged with particles. Their was only one filter on the main line the filter on the reserve is missing. If any one knows were to get a replacement filter I would appreciate the info. (I run 2 inline filters as backup) The diaphram was dry rotted so I ordered a new one. And replaced the two Orings, one on the base of the petcock and the oring on the selector. The gasket with the 4 holes looked ok. I sprayed the metal with oven cleaner and cleaned it to get rust off and soaked it in water and cream of tarter to get Alumoxide off and gave it a good clean and buff to make it clean and shinny. I even took out the vacume nipple and made sure the little reed was their. It went back on bike and worked fine. As I was trying to cynk carb one of the fule line nipples poped off. I cleaned it and was trying to figure out why it came out. I see a notch around the shaft were it looked like an oring would go but it does not go comletely aroud and is to shallow to so take one. It looks as it had some sort of sealer on it. I know that it was pressed in because of the tight tollerances. Anyone with info would be appreciated.
I`m not sure if you are saying the nipple came off the petcock or the carb?

If it is the carb nipple, this link may help you:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19832

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I think those nipples are just press fitted in place. Had one of mine come off when replacing the fuel line. Just shoved it back in place and it hasn't leaked.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Pets....cocks...and nipples......got my attention.

Nipples can fall off the pet cock. They are just press fits...carefull use of a small C clamp can put them back, not sure about one pulled of the carb.

Sounds like you need alot of new parts... Good luck with that...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

The nipple came off of the petcock. I pushed it back in and was going to use a c-clamp to press it in tighter and try to put some plumers putty on the out side to seal it too. I did crak off one the plastic nipple off the original carbs on bike. I made a rig out of a brass niple and pressed it on and used jb wield to seal it. It held for a most a year and then started to leak. I then got a second carb from ebay and from the 2 made one. I had just recently read that the nipple can be replaced with one for a HD. Im going to look into that. If not I was going to take it appart and hit it with the torch and silver soder and seal it that way. Im in the process of slowly scrounging the missing parts to complete the second carb. It was missing the whole choke assembly. I'll mess with her in a few days. Im still trying to get the cabs even out. I dont know what the average draw of vac is for front cylender. Im now getting around 7in. and about 5 on rear. I dont know if that is normal/ a good base. Also dont know how far out the mix screws should be set. I now have it set at around 2 full turns. She runs but im getting some popping. I havent had the time to go further because of the fule leak.
I look forward to finishing so I can take her for a ride.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamigenie View Post
The nipple came off of the petcock. I pushed it back in and was going to use a c-clamp to press it in tighter and try to put some plumers putty on the out side to seal it too. I did crak off one the plastic nipple off the original carbs on bike. I made a rig out of a brass niple and pressed it on and used jb wield to seal it. It held for a most a year and then started to leak. I then got a second carb from ebay and from the 2 made one. I had just recently read that the nipple can be replaced with one for a HD. Im going to look into that. If not I was going to take it appart and hit it with the torch and silver soder and seal it that way. Im in the process of slowly scrounging the missing parts to complete the second carb. It was missing the whole choke assembly. I'll mess with her in a few days. Im still trying to get the cabs even out. I dont know what the average draw of vac is for front cylender. Im now getting around 7in. and about 5 on rear. I dont know if that is normal/ a good base. Also dont know how far out the mix screws should be set. I now have it set at around 2 full turns. She runs but im getting some popping. I havent had the time to go further because of the fule leak.
I look forward to finishing so I can take her for a ride.
Are you using a commercial manometer to get those vacuum readings simultaneously, or taking them individually with a vacuum gauge.

You can make a manometer with a yardstick, 10 or 12 feet of 1/4" clear plastic tubing, a few clips or zip ties, and a few ounces of colored oil (ie. 2 cycle oil or red automatic transmission fluid). You hook the open ends of the hose to each vacuum port on the carbs and adjust vacuum screw until oil level is equal in both sides. The actual measurement (5 or 7", etc.) is not crucial, as long as the oil level is even.

The fuel/air mix screws can be turned out to a max of 3 1/2 turns to eliminate or decrease the popping when decelerating. Put a dab of silicone on the screws when you are done to keep them in place.

There are older threads with more detailed instructions and pictures for making the manometer and syncing the carbs.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

I was useing two vacume guages. I had made a manameeter and had used atf. I didnt have valvs attached to the lines so when I tried to crank up the bike it pulled the atf into the carbs and fouled out the plugs and she would not start till I cleaned the pugs. So After that I siad the hell with that meeter, I didnt have time to mess with it to work right, so I went back to vac guages and put on valves to get the vac guages from bouncing. When I was first getting every thing set up I had made a pony tank out of 1gal gas tank hose filter. I didnt want the tank on because I wanted to have easy access to cab if I had to take it out. When I had the carb close eneough that I felt it would start easy I then put on the tank so that I could test it on the road with a load. Thats when I ran into the problem with the petcock. So I haddent taken it on the road to see how she will perform. Im hopeing this weekend to put the tank on and take it for a ride and adjust idle-mix screw. Right now Front is pulling about 6in vac and the back is around 4in. The mix screw is out 2 full turns. Ill see where im at with the tank on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement