Fuel cap-pulled off end of red rubber valve - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Fuel cap-pulled off end of red rubber valve

Is there a rebuild kit for the gas cap? I pulled the little nibble off the end of the red rubber valve so now it is not held in place. is there a quick fix or a kit to replace all valves and gaskets? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You cannot get parts for the gas cap, other than that rubber grommet thing that only CA models have. I don't remember anything red on the gas cap, the rubber grommet on mine is black.

As long as it seals and does not leak fuel out onto the tank, it does not require any other parts to work properly. When I first got my '93 (CA model) the gas cap would make a hissing sound for several minutes after I parked it. I realized this was some kind of emissions device, took the cap apart, and removed everything. It ran fine. I later removed all the rest of the emissions stuff. Have done the same to my '02. Many members here have removed the emissions crap, it can cause all sorts of problems.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Mine was red.

You can "rebuild" the gas cap, but they don't sell rebuild kits.

Read the POOGS sticky.

The hissing had nothing to do with "emissions crap" but is part of the design of all fuel caps today. They are made to allow air to enter the tank as the level goes down, but keep fuel from splashing/spilling out over bumps or ifthe bike falls over.

The hissing-whistling sound occurs when the hot engine heats up the fuel in the tank....causing it to expand. This displaces the air on top and it gets forced out the tiny vent...which is made to let air in....not out. The pressure overrides the valve and it whistles untill a the air escapes or the fuel cools down.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 PM

Ok. Mine never leaked after removing everything. I have a CA model, with fittings for 2 vent hoses. Originally both of them were connected to the "vapor recovery system" forming a "loop" where gas vapor (and liquid gas, if you overfilled it) would go into a charcoal cannister, and was then supposed to be pumped back into the tank through the other hose by some kind of pressure device. I ripped everything off, and ran hoses from both fittings down under the bike. If I fill it up all the way, then park it in the sun, I do get some gas coming out of one of the hoses and dripping on the ground as the gas expands. It does that because it takes the easy way out, through the "overflow" hose rather than the tiny tank vent, which is higher on the tank. I would not want gas all over the tank, but I don't mind a couple ounces on the ground once and a while. I usually fill it while sitting on it, with it upright, then take off, and nothing spills. I noticed the gas dripping when I filled it up, then parked and went into the station to get something to eat or drink, etc.

If you don't have a CA tank with the two hoses, you might have a situation where gas could come out the tank vent. Both mine have been CA models, bought in AZ.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Giggity!

Garage
You could buy a used one in good condition & just swap out the lock. It's not too hard to do.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM

Garage
I has a POOGS issue this summer. When I was cleaning out the fuel cap I used the wrong carb cleaner and the round rubber flapper piece warped and came loose from the center...it basically fell apart.
I wound up removing the red piece completely and have not really had any problems. I try to keep the tank full and I never had any fuel leak out or anything. Air still gets into the tank, but maybe on hot days it vents out the cap rather than the vent line through the bottom of the tank, but never really noticed any odor or hissing sounds since then.

I filled the tank and gave it a good shake....hard braking...bouncing the front forks...whatever I could do to see if it would leak or foul the vents in the cap. Never saw any problems with the piece removed.

If there is any adverse effects from removing it, I am not aware of them. Maybe some day when I have money to spend I will replace the cap.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 PM

A fuel tank should always be vented directly to the atmosphere, either through the cap itself, or a vent fitting. I saw a V-Star 650 a while back where the gas tank looked like a beer can that had been run over by a car. The "emissions crap" had malfunctioned, created a vacuum in the tank, and the tank just collapsed. The opposite can also happen. If the tank is full, and not vented, it will be the same as putting a can of pop in the freezer. The gas will expand and push against the outside of the tank until it is all ballooned out and finally ruptures.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Older gas caps were just screw on caps with a small (1/8") hole in the top.

I seriously doubt that a VN tank would collapse or, bulge out.... The cap simply does not seal that tight....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayman View Post
Is there a rebuild kit for the gas cap? I pulled the little nibble off the end of the red rubber valve so now it is not held in place. is there a quick fix or a kit to replace all valves and gaskets? Thanks for your help!
Since you only have 3 of the 5 posts on this board that you need to put a link in here, I will link to your picture of the dismantled gas cap that I just found in the gallery:
https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...7&limit=recent

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 01-09-2012 at 11:23 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

I want to thank everyone for all their input and ideas. I'm new to the VN750 motorcycle and forum! I've owned my Vulcan for nine days now and have found a project to work on everyday from this site, detailed instructions, photos and support. Amazing! I'm in Portland, Oregon and after fixing my fuel cap vent today I decided to take a VERY COLD RIDE... Twenty miles was all my hands could take, with glove on. I was pleasantly surprised at the power and it sounds pretty good too. All I need now are the CHROME EXHAUST PIPE COVERS and it'll be complete. Wileysden (member) PM me and said he had them but I have not heard back. If you have contact info for him please let me! Thanks again for all your help, Good Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement