All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Ear shave on a 1500 classic

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

I have done it,you guys with all your search for more power ,have me at it again.

Once again good enough just wasn't,I ditched the left side air intake and the black plastic tube that runs between the cylinders to the right side air box.What I replaced them with was a hand fabbed backing plate and a Spectre Air filter that was about 20 bucks,removed all the emissions junk and put the cam chain tensioners extenders in.

Just waiting to get the fuel module to reset the air/fuel ratios (electronic jet kit) the dyno charts show a better than 15 % increase in HP and aout 10lb/ft torque increase.Look Here http://www.gadgetjq.com/nomad_dyno_graph.jpg

Thanks to Gadgets fixit page for the tips and sorry about the big pics,If I remember correctly the top one is the backing plate we made installed ,next is a picture of the finished filter setup and last is the stock chrome dog bowl beside the new setup.keep in mind that there were two of those and all the air was sucked thru a hole about 2x3 on the other side of the bike and pulled thru a filter and air tube that ran from the other side to the throttle bodies on the right side while being heated up on its journey there. kinda long days work but it will be a big gain in power for the effort.Enjoy, now you know where I've been hiding lol

EDIT:I resized the pictures so it should be easier to look at now

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 12-07-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Giggity!

Garage
I'll have to check out the pics tonight. So I guess we'll see if your competition for us 750'rs at the next gathering huh? lol

We're still lighter!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
I'll have to check out the pics tonight. So I guess we'll see if your competition for us 750'rs at the next gathering huh? lol

We're still lighter!
In more ways than one, lol, and I'll never be able to get that big black pig to handle like the 750,but almost 14 extra hp and 10 ft.lbs of torque is a big difference on a bike,plus I am going to do a pickup coil mod on it too,no one has tried it on a 1500 yet, that I know of. or none of the VROC crowd have,anyway.
Now if I lost about 50lbs it might be a lot different,lol.

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:22 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
There is a great write up on this on Gadgets page.
I did my Nomad with a 9"car airfilter and works great.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/caddmankit.htm

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:55 AM

Interesting. I can't help but wonder how well that filter filters. And what did you mean by camshaft tensioner "extenders"?

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Interesting. I can't help but wonder how well that filter filters. And what did you mean by camshaft tensioner "extenders"?
All the trouble that the acct's were on the 750's ,Kaw redesigned them for the 1500,it is a spring loaded plunger with a flat side with teeth on it and a positive lock that will not let it retract after extends a notch.

Trouble was they should have made them to where they were longer when fully extended,because after 50,000 or so miles they are out of travel,yet the chains when properly tensioned will last well over 100,000 miles before the chains need replaced.Chucksters customs makes a set of extenders that you replace the stock head with one slightly thicker,that you install on the end of the plunger,reset the acct and it is good to go,The acct on the 1500 puts a fixed amount of tension on the chain and when it clicks into the next notch it cannot retract on it's own.here is a link that explains it better than mehttp://www.gadgetjq.com/cc_tensioner.htm
And that filter is a fairly large filter with a much larger surface area it ie pleated paper like the stocker but has the wire mesh covering and it is oilable so it should trap dirt sufficiently,,it is not nearly as dusty here as it is out west and several people have been getting well over 100,000 miles with the same type setup,plus I don't share your views on K&N type filters that you do ,I am not worried about it not filtering enough, it is a well built filter in my opinion ,and you have the right to yours too.

@ Chad ,yeah Gadgets page is where I found this,I saved it to my laptop and took it to the garage(wifi won't reach out there) before I started on it,That is one handy web site and I would recommend it to any one with a Vulcan!!!!

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

Last edited by denny6006; 12-08-2011 at 02:16 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
I just removed the right side chrome cover and replaced it with the Sceptre air filter. Little hard to see in the picture....

On the FI 1500's, the left side has the filter and the right side has the solenoids. Removed the solenoids and bolted the large Sceptre air filter in place. Flows W A Y more air than stock. Left the stock crap in place.

Got a new map for my PC III computer and she runs like a raped ape.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93VN750 View Post
I just removed the right side chrome cover and replaced it with the Sceptre air filter. Little hard to see in the picture....

On the FI 1500's, the left side has the filter and the right side has the solenoids. Removed the solenoids and bolted the large Sceptre air filter in place. Flows W A Y more air than stock. Left the stock crap in place.

Got a new map for my PC III computer and she runs like a raped ape.

Jon
Looks good Jon,I thought about that setup but liked the looks of this filter should really be no difference in air flow between mine and yours.Mine is a 1500 FI although it isn't a Meanie,I do have the same pipes as yours and I found a set of new take off handle bars like yours and switched out the big wide cruiser bars.

Is the horsepower gain as noticeable as everyone says?,I guess I'll see soon for myself

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Looks good Jon,I thought about that setup but liked the looks of this filter should really be no difference in air flow between mine and yours.Mine is a 1500 FI although it isn't a Meanie,I do have the same pipes as yours and I found a set of new take off handle bars like yours and switched out the big wide cruiser bars.

Is the horsepower gain as noticeable as everyone says?,I guess I'll see soon for myself
Yes, they both flow more air than the air can use. If I had it to do again, I would get the 2 into 1 tuned pipes. They make much more power at the bottom and about the same as the Hard Chrome's up at the top.

You will have to compensate for the extra air flow. I have a Power Commander PCIII fuel injection computer. I played around with a few different maps until I found the one I am using. Should have it tuned on a dyno, but not going to bother unless I change the pipes.

If you do adjust for the additional airflow, your buttdyno will see a noticeable increase in power. The way my meanie is setup, it is definitely faster than my 750, especially after it's rolling. It's got 200 more pounds to eat than the 750.

Let me know what you thing after you ride it.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93VN750 View Post
Yes, they both flow more air than the air can use. If I had it to do again, I would get the 2 into 1 tuned pipes. They make much more power at the bottom and about the same as the Hard Chrome's up at the top.

You will have to compensate for the extra air flow. I have a Power Commander PCIII fuel injection computer. I played around with a few different maps until I found the one I am using. Should have it tuned on a dyno, but not going to bother unless I change the pipes.

If you do adjust for the additional airflow, your buttdyno will see a noticeable increase in power. The way my meanie is setup, it is definitely faster than my 750, especially after it's rolling. It's got 200 more pounds to eat than the 750.

Let me know what you thing after you ride it.

Jon
I noticed after my first reply that you have the Mac Exhaust on yours,while the look like mine ,I have the Cobra Speedster shorts ,that have a tuned crossover chamber built into them.Hopefully I will keep the power I have on the bottom end and get some hp on top also.I am going to go with the Dobeck Techclusion TFI or the Cobra FI2000,both have trim pots to tune with,and don't require a laptop or maps.I plan on using the old butt dyno to do my tuning ,lol,more fuel to go with the air is definitely on the agenda before riding it.

I probably won't have a report back for you till spring ,we had black ice and snow here in the last couple of days,plus I am going to do a spline lube and replace the driveshaft boot also before it gets ridden and clean up all the electrical connectors before the tank goes back on it.The black parts of the engine is probably going to get some fresh paint too,while I can get to it.I usually make a list thru riding season of what needs done during my winter down time and just fix whatever has to be fixed thru the summer.So far this has proven to be quite a dependable ride,and I don't show it a lot of pity,

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement