oil coming out of air intake?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

oil coming out of air intake??

I bought a bike and on my way home it was leaking oil out of air intake (ears)
both sides. I have taken the carb apart, cleaned, put back together, inspected everything and it looks ok...I think (rookie)
I put it back together (3hours later) got it started and rode for 4-5 miles and it appears to still leak.
Please tell me this can be fixed and I didn't buy a lemon. Bike is a 93 and has 2k...although the spedo has also stoped working in my short time with it.
The bike also hesitates in 1st and 2nd gear?

Almost forgot....when i initially opened the ear one of the filters was abot 80% there and when i touched it imediately fell apart into tiny pieces. could it have sucked parts into engine?
Thanks in advance!
Dmoney

Last edited by dmoney; 12-02-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 06:34 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney View Post
both sides. I have taken the carb apart, cleaned, put back together, inspected everything and it looks ok...I think (rookie)
I put it back together (3hours later) got it started and rode for 4-5 miles and it appears to still leak.
Please tell me this can be fixed and I didn't buy a lemon. Bike is a 93 and has 2k...although the spedo has also stoped working in my short time with it.
Thanks in advance!
Dmoney
The first thing I would check is to see if the oil was over-filled. I can't recall if it it will come out the air boxes if so but definitely a good start. Our bikes do not take the full 4qt during oil changes, more like 3.5ish.

It would probably be a good idea to do the basic maintenance and see where she stands.

Here is an PDF of the service manual that may be of assistance. http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/File...nd%20Parts.pdf

Sorry I do not have anything overly specific to help you, but I am sure somebody here has experienced the same issue and will have better information for you.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Yeah, sounds like too much oil. Likely be a good idea to do an oil/filter change anyway (always a good idea with buying a used bike).

The crankcase breather feeds into the air box, so over filling would show up there. The bike might have been on it's side for some reason too....

You need to get some new airfilters before you ride it again too......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 12-02-2011 at 07:09 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
In regards to the air filters - the K&Ns for our bikes are only around 40 bucks on Amazon now for the set as well. Just a note since you have to buy some anyways.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
In regards to the air filters - the K&Ns for our bikes are only around 40 bucks on Amazon now for the set as well. Just a note since you have to buy some anyways.
Got to provide an opposing viewpoint to that. I strongly recommend against the K&N filters, they flow more air, and therefore also flow more dirt, reducing engine life. They also lean out the already lean air/fuel mixture. I have always used stock filters or equivalent. I highly recommend Emgo air filters, soaked well in oil. '93 was a good year, I put over 80,000 trouble free miles on a '93.

The crankcase vent hose connects to the very front of the airbox, from the front head. There is a drain hose that connects to the lowest point on the airbox, right between the ears. It may have a cap on it, and if so, may be filled up with oil/gas/water from the crankcase vent, and is overflowing into the airbox.

EDIT: http://mymiata.paladinmicro.com/K&NComments.htm There's thousands more articles like this on the internet, including some of actual test of filtering ability between different brands. K&N almost always comes in dead last. Here's another one. http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

Last edited by VN750Rider/Jerry; 12-03-2011 at 02:01 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 02:05 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Got to provide an opposing viewpoint to that. I strongly recommend against the K&N filters, they flow more air, and therefore also flow more dirt, reducing engine life. They also lean out the already lean air/fuel mixture. I have always used stock filters or equivalent. I highly recommend Emgo air filters, soaked well in oil.
To be honest from everything I can tell and have researched, they don't actually allow that much more flow with the style used on our bikes; if they did allow that much air through then a re-jet would be necessary. To each their own, but the K&N debate has happened all over the globe and through-out my years of personal experience I have never seen a negative impact on using the correct K&N air filter for it's intended application.

I would have to imagine with the ear-shave mod this would become an issue since you are using a higher flow air filter- allowing more air into the engine more quickly with less filtering (theoretically, depending on the surface area of the filter).

Once again, however, to each their own on the air filter debate.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 PM

I have the same problem only when I revved the bike it shot oil into the left ear, then started blowing white smoke out of both tailpipes. I haven't been able to ride this damn thing without having at least one problem with it. There are no leaks anywhere else but through the crankcase breather and into the air intake.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney View Post

Almost forgot....when i initially opened the ear one of the filters was abot 80% there and when i touched it imediately fell apart into tiny pieces. could it have sucked parts into engine?
Thanks in advance!
Dmoney
Yes it is possible that some foam from the filters can get sucked it the air box and intakes so have a good look around in that area
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 05:10 PM
Certified Headcase

I agree with the other responses regarding over-fill of oil. When I first got my bike (1987 VN750A) I took it for a ride with the ears off after rebuilding the carb. I had added four quarts of oil not realizing that the original oil had only been partially drained. After a quick ride there was oil sloshing out of the air box boots. I drained a total of 6 1/2 quarts of oil out till it was empty. Added 4 fresh quarts on the refill. That solved the issue. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement