Bike Wont Start. Defeated. Need Help. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Bike Wont Start. Defeated. Need Help.

As some of you may know who were following another thread of mine my bike is not running. She turns over but will not run. Everything was running fine a few days ago until I took her apart to put some seafoam in the carbs.

The work I did on my bike over the last few days was seemingly simple.

I shut off the petcock. I pulled the 2 fuel hoses and the air intake hose off. I removed the seat. I removed the gas tank. I removed the battery (Charged It). I drained the gas out of the carbs and filled them back up with seafoam. (Both of them). I let that sit almost 2 full days and then I drained it out. During that I located the Pilot screws and I took them out. I sprayed Carb cleaner behind them and put them all the way back in and then back out 2.5 turns.

I replaced my spark plug wires with the NGK recommendation from the Verses.

I put everything back together and for the life of me cant get her to start.

I pulled out each plug. Put it back in the wire. Touched it to ground and fired the bike. I saw spark from every plug using every wire.

I pulled off one of fuel hoses from the petcock and put another hose on it and put the end of that hose in a cup. I wanted to see that I was pulling gas out of the tank. It appears that I am.

Any direction would be amazing.

What would you do ???????

Thanks

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Update. When I replaced the spark plugs with the new Iridium plugs it started right up. So far it wont come off choke.... Its been running about 5 minutes. But she started!!!!!

Any ideas.. do I just need to run it for a while?

Thanks

Jay
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Try adjusting the idle speed with the black knob.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDeInSin View Post
During that time, I located the pilot screws and I took them out. I sprayed Carb cleaner behind them and put them all the way back in and then back out 2.5 turns.
Jay
Jay,
The pilot screws are under a cover. The mixture screws get backed out 2.5 turns. Just making sure we're on the same page.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Ok All!

Thanks for the help.. It looks like I am up and running again and the bike is definitely running better. I have to drive it a few more times to see if my problems are totally fixed but it definitely seems like its running better! When I parked it I was idling at 1500rpm.. So thats and improvement.

Thanks again for all of your help.

I really appreciate it and I will post back more results once I've had a couple days under my belt.

VOIP.. I believe I just dont know my language. The link belows shows the picture of what I am referring too? Let me know if I am adjusting the wrong things... lol.. Thanks for looking out!

https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...puser=962&sl=c
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDeInSin View Post
Ok All!
VOIP.. I believe I just dont know my language. The link belows shows the picture of what I am referring too? Let me know if I am adjusting the wrong things... lol.. Thanks for looking out!

https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...puser=962&sl=c
Glad you got it running.
Couldn't open link

Look at Figures 15 & 16 here
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Yahoo to OldHipWesTex
Kinda funny the way spark plugs work. You can take them all out of the engine and leave the wires from the bike hooked to them, then crank it over and get spark, thats one way to do it. The other is to use a spark plug cleaning box that has a compression & spark tester built into the box. An air compressor is hooked to the compression tester side. Some spark plugs will not spark while under a compression load,( normally at 80/90 P.S.I.) or produce only a very weak spark, reason i use the cleaner tester when checking & cleaning my plugs. Just a few thoughts here.......

Vulcan #1 1993 - 28K
Vulcan #2 1999 - 26k
It All Comes Down To 3 Things:
#1 Fuel
#2 Spark
#3 Mechanical
Any One Fails - Then It Dont Run

ANTICIPATED MODS:
Build Fiberglass Fenders F/R
Mold & Cast New Turn Signals Lights
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 AM

MOST of the time spark plugs that spark outside the engine will spark inside the engine under compression, there are rare exceptions, and I don't know what causes it. New plugs usually solve the problem.

I am confused about the pilot screws. The pilot screws and idle air/fuel mixture screws are one and the same. They are on the side of the carbs, under a pressed in plug. I removed my plugs, and turned them out somewhere between 2-1/2-3 turns. I found I have to turn them back to 1 1/2 turns to pass emissions. Hope that goes away soon. Law was passed doing away with it for motorcycles over a year ago. The only other adjustment on the outside of the carbs is the idle speed, which is a large black plastic knob on the left side of the bike.

It is possible that soaking the carbs in Seafoam did not get them clean enough, Seafoam is great stuff, but can only do so much. You may still have to remove them and clean them, though if it is better you can try Seafoam again. It will never get the carbs completely clean, but it may get the jets open, so it will run right.

Hopefully the enricheners on the carbs are ok, not something to mess with until you have tried everything else. You can check where the enrichener cables connect to the carbs, and make sure nothing is loose or broken, and you might try lubricating the cable, and checking it for damage. Also make sure the throttle cables are ok and properly adjusted.

One of the modifications I made to my bike that I do not recommend (though I don't see how it could possibly be any worse than K&N air filters) was to remove the "push" throttle cable. By having only one cable, there is a lot less drag on the throttle, it is easier to open and close, and I noticed it "snaps" closed much faster when fully opened (with the engine off) and released. While it definitely works much better, the reason I don't recommend it is because there is supposedly some safety issue with doing it. I don't see one, if the cable breaks, the spring will close the throttle, and as a last resort the kill switch is right under your right thumb. Many Japanese bikes came with only one throttle cable, I own 3 of them. But as long as someone says '" safety issue" I cannot recommend it due to liability issues.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to OldHipWesTex
Checking the spark - procedure?
Take off your shoes and socks.
Stick your little finger in the spark plug boot.
Have someone crank the motor.
A. If Only your hand goes numb = weak spark
B. Your entire arm goes numb = OK spark
C. Your whole body twitches, you heart flutters (or stops) and you pee yourself = GREAT SPARK

Disclaimer: Do not try this yourself. Get your brother-in-law to do it and YOU crank the motor.
Just Kidding Guys !! DONT TRY THIS - But its a funny thought
LLHO39 likes this.

Vulcan #1 1993 - 28K
Vulcan #2 1999 - 26k
It All Comes Down To 3 Things:
#1 Fuel
#2 Spark
#3 Mechanical
Any One Fails - Then It Dont Run

ANTICIPATED MODS:
Build Fiberglass Fenders F/R
Mold & Cast New Turn Signals Lights
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoIP Doc View Post
Glad you got it running.
Couldn't open link

Look at Figures 15 & 16 here
Yup Yup.. Thats the screw I tinkered with.. Btw... Great directions on that Ear Shave Procedure... I definitely plan on doing that this winter. Looks much better and with what you said about how it handles it seems like a no brainer. Plus it gives me more time with my new friend :-)

Thanks for your help!

Jay

Accomplishments;

Changed Final Drive Fluid
Iridium Plugs

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Bridgestone Spitfire Tires
Maintenance Free Battery
Lubed the Spline
Shaved and Coastered
Under Tank Air Filter
Re-Jetted