What Carb Jets - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

What Carb Jets

Did a different Ear Shave. Cut out The stock Air cleaner intake Hole to about Double the size. Now more air. God wish Lance was around RIP. Maybe there are some carb guros around.. bike is fine untill 60-70mph then starves!!!
Heres the setup.
K&N filters
pipes stock, Baffles board out.
Goats betty still there.
Altitude Sea levet
Temp 80,s Daytona, Fl
Very humid.
Pugs Iridum
Coastered

Any siggestion on a starting point with main jets- pilots?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:36 PM

Simple 142/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnusvela View Post
Did a different Ear Shave. Cut out The stock Air cleaner intake Hole to about Double the size. Now more air. God wish Lance was around RIP. Maybe there are some carb guros around.. bike is fine untill 60-70mph then starves!!!
Heres the setup.
K&N filters
pipes stock, Baffles board out.
Goats betty still there.
Altitude Sea levet
Temp 80,s Daytona, Fl
Very humid.
Pugs Iridum
Coastered

Any siggestion on a starting point with main jets- pilots?????
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:35 PM

142/42 is the size I use, no problems at all, plenty o speed and power

Bike 1: (Wifes Bike Now)
2005 VN750
Ear Shave / Coastered (142/42)
Fire & Steel Saddle Bag Supports
Fire & Steel Signal Relocators
Fire & Steel Luggage Rack
Fire & Steel Engine Guard
V&H Pipes
AGM
RR Relocated
Sissy Bar Extender
170 Rear Tire

Bike 2:
2008 Harley Davidson FLHX Street Glide
1584cc (96 CID)
AM/FM/WX/CD/MP3

https://www.vn750.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic10325_1.gif

www.escambiariders.com

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If it's fine otherwise I'd just go up one size on the main jets...if stock is 38 try a 40. You didn't remove the system just let in a bit more air.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Add two shims under the needle and 142/40.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 08:19 PM

Not sure why you did what you did, or what you expected to gain from it. I did remove the complete CA emissions system and the complete evap system from mine, and made my own coasters from the stock reed valve covers. I did this mostly to get rid of several pounds of worthless junk, and a lot of unnecessary clutter. I was not expecting and did not get any performance gains. Later I went from stock pipes to V&H Cruzers, and had to upjet. Don't remember the numbers, I still have them around here somewhere, I think it was one size up on both the mains and pilots. Did that strictly for the sound, but after a few months of highway riding I found I hated the sound at high rpms, and reinstalled the stock system and jets. Sold the V&H system at a big loss.

The Vulcan 750 is a very carefully engineered motorcycle (it pretty much has to be, to keep running with all those zillions of parts, without falling apart) I don't recommend varying from stock, unless you have a specific goal in mind, and have thoroughly researched it.

There is precious little extra power to be found in the Vulcan engine if you want to keep it streetable, not enough to tell by riding it. Making mods that seem like they should make more power actually make no increase, or in some cases actually make less. And they almost reduce engine longevity, reliability, and performance. That "goats belly" that everyone seems to be in such a hurry to get rid of actually increases power by a small amount, plus it serves the function of a crossover between right and left (or front and rear) cylinder, something ALL multi cylindered bikes need, to balance the pressure in the exhaust. Yep, even Harleys have a crossover pipe between front and rear exhausts. Removing this will cause the engine to operate under more pressure and overheat, pretty much the same as plugging up the crankcase vent.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

I have to go with Knifemaker! He has been around a long time. "AND Makes Sence"

Last edited by Magnusvela; 10-20-2011 at 05:51 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

More air in means you need more air out. Change your stock pipes to some slip-ons to stop choking your motor. I'm in the process of changing my 140/40 set-up to a 150/42. YeeHaw!

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Yes Lance will be missed. I just recently found out. RIP dude, and thanks for all the information.

When I installed the V&H pipes, Lance recommended I go up one size on both the main and pilot jets, and open the pilot screws 3 full turns. Came out perfect. I don't remember the jet sizes I used, but after removing the V&H pipes and going back to stock, I also changed the jets back. I still have them somewhere, and have the sizes written down.

I still say it is futile, and possibly damaging to the engine, to try and get any more power out of the engine. It is pretty well maxed out already, as is the engine in the EX500 Ninja. And as for the Ninja, if you go to ex-500.com, the owner of the site, a roadracer and engine builder, will clearly tell you so. Mods to the Ninja engine for racing are few, and mostly have to do with making it last longer. I believe the same thing applies to the VN750 engine. I'm fairly certain I LOST power with the V&H pipes, but it was the sound I wanted, or at least thought I wanted.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 05:14 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Yes Lance will be missed. I just recently found out. RIP dude, and thanks for all the information.

When I installed the V&H pipes, Lance recommended I go up one size on both the main and pilot jets, and open the pilot screws 3 full turns. Came out perfect. I don't remember the jet sizes I used, but after removing the V&H pipes and going back to stock, I also changed the jets back. I still have them somewhere, and have the sizes written down.

I still say it is futile, and possibly damaging to the engine, to try and get any more power out of the engine. It is pretty well maxed out already, as is the engine in the EX500 Ninja. And as for the Ninja, if you go to ex-500.com, the owner of the site, a roadracer and engine builder, will clearly tell you so. Mods to the Ninja engine for racing are few, and mostly have to do with making it last longer. I believe the same thing applies to the VN750 engine. I'm fairly certain I LOST power with the V&H pipes, but it was the sound I wanted, or at least thought I wanted.
Doesn't surprise me that you felt a loss of power with the VH's especially if you removed the goat's belly, because of the loss of back pressure. I'll admit that I don't fully understand how back pressure works but every engine l've ever run with straight pipes without doing anything substantial on the intake side, I noticed a slight drop in low end power. As far as the ear shave being futile, these bikes and probably a lot of bikes in general, are set up to run as lean as they can get them without burning up the valves etc., for emissions, EPA and all that. I read and agree with a theory that if given the choice to run an engine a little lean or a little rich, richer is better so you won't burn valves, spit a hole through your piston and other not nice things. For performance, again my bike speaks for itself. Tested against a friends bike before and after the mod. On another note,
I'm jealous of your garage. A Harley and a Vulcan? And did I see dirtster in the mix too? Nice!

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??

Last edited by DavesVulster; 10-21-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement