Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Yahoo to OldHipWesTex
Keeping The Carbs In Shape

Wow, i see lots of folks that chime in with carb problems! Is it just me or are all of these Maw Kws bikes prone to lots of carb problems? Ive just rebuilt my twin carbs and everthing is working great, from idle to going to the WILD SIDE ! Is the Seafoam product a good product to keep running thru the fuel system? Hows about the Marvel Mystery oil? I hate to think that another 100 miles down the road i would be looking at carb problems again. Chime in let me know your thoughts on preventive maintenance for the fuel system.
Thanks !!
Great Posts & Great Answers Here !!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If She Rides Good Then Keep Her - She May Be 27 Years Old But Shes As Wild As An 18 Year Old !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:27 PM

I've been heeding the seafoam advice and have had no problem for the 3 years I've owned the bike. Plus be sure to fill the tank before storing for the winter, add additives (seafoam or stabil) run the bike to get the additives in the carb system and I then turn the fuel off and run it for a couple minutes till it stalls. Figure others will chime in with any other suggestions.

1986 VN 750
20,000 miles
MF Battery
Replaced Stock Turn signals
Starter Clutch
NGK plugs
MT66 Pirelli's
Seafoam
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Old Truck Junkie

To add to oldbike above. Some of this bikes don't have an off setting, so draining the carbs would be in order here.

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tiips, i feel a widdle more secure knowing that i will not have to overhaul the carbs again soon, good advise, thanks !!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:50 AM
If only it had 6th gear..

Bikes that don't have an off u should be able to pinch or disonnect the vacuum line on the petcock and run them dry that way. I only had trouble with the carbs because of improper storage. IMO the regurgitated (reformulated "enhanced") gas causes more problems when it sits. Heard that Stabil is no longer the best additive to use. Seafoam is what most recommend here.

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

I see posts about some ridders putting Seafoam into their oil and ridding just before an oil change. Does anyone suggest this for a VN that has 14,600 miles on it? I havent had the valve covers off to see if anything is gummed up on the top end. The oil level sight glass ( marked Low to Full ) shows it has almost clear looking oil in the case. Any suggestions ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If She Rides Good Then Keep Her - She May Be 27 Years Old But Shes As Wild As An 18 Year Old !
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 PM

I've used the 'Seafoam before oil change' trick in older bikes that have been neglected or sat a long time. I've had the Vulcan since new and been diligent about oil changes and other PM, so it hasn't been as much of a concern for me on this particular bike.

New-looking oil doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't need changing, but is probably a sign you don't need to use Seafoam at this point. From my experience, it won't hurt anything if you want to give it a go.

Regarding fuel system treatment, I've used Seafoam and MMO. Seafoam seems to work better IMHO (though MMO smells better), though I have no quantifiable way to back that. I run a mixed tank through it about every oil change, or if it has sat very long (over winter).

Otherwise, ride often and fill with 87 octane (100% gas, if you can find it in your area). Sitting does a Vulcan no good.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Hot Rod Hippie, im a user of Seafoam in my trucks and it has worked wonders for them in the fuel tank. All advise appreciated Vulcan fans !!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement