Ear shave question (done by previous owner) caused of exhaust sputter? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Ear shave question (done by previous owner) caused of exhaust sputter?

I love this forum. I often don't have to make a new topic because I find what I'm looking for pretty quickly when I run into an issue. (recently had the POOGS problem and currently having a problem with the left pipe sputtering on deceleration and idle). I found a similar issue here < https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19299 >. I haven't tried seafoam directly in the carbs yet because I have a question.

The previous owner did an ear removal and it appears fine, except there is no cap of the rear carb brass vacuum fitting. Could the source of the problem with the left exhaust?

Also, I pulled the seat earlier to get a look at everything and there is a crack in the piece in front of the battery (don't know the name of it, but I believe it is connected to the spark plug wires). Should I be concerned about this?

Pictures - < https://picasaweb.google.com/104888367164950093571/VN750?authkey=Gv1sRgCLbkurXX-cugwgE >

Sorry, couldn't post URL. Guess I haven't posted enough on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:37 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

The vacuum nipple should be capped off. Definitely wont run right if it's sucking air. The part in front of the battery, if it has two spark plug wires coming out of it and 2 small power wires, is your rear cylinder ignition coil. If it's cracked its gonna give you poor performance and REALLY poor performance when it rains. It should be replaced. Those two things are probably the majority of your trouble. Hope that helps ya.

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??

Last edited by DavesVulster; 09-21-2011 at 10:41 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answer! =)

I don't ride in the rain much, but I have noticed problems when I get caught in it - I randomly lose power. Hopefully, I can find an ignition coil in good condition at a decent price.

I have a friend that would tell me just to use industrial epoxy/ plastic cement to glue it since I believe the casing is plastic. Any thoughts about this?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Well it definitely is an improvement on having nothing there, lol. Yeah I'd epoxy it and see if you get better results. Also if you can run it in the dark, check your plug wires and plug caps to see if you have leaks. You'll see tiny sparks. Jumping to the engine if you do. You can wrap the plug caps with a few turns of electrical tape to get by but new wires, cap and a coil in your future would make you and your bike happy.

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??

Last edited by DavesVulster; 09-22-2011 at 09:05 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness tharive.
On a recent thread another member was having problems with the rear ignition coil too.
I suggested he do a resistance check on both the primary circuit (12 volt male blade connectors) and the secondary circuit (spark plug wires and coil).

The 12 v connectors should give a reading of 1.8-2.2 ohms.

Putting one probe into each spark plug cap should give you from 19K-29K ohms for the wires and coil circuit. If it is out of specs, remove the wires from the coil and test the wires and coil individually to see which ones are out of spec.

The member reported his coil ohmed out at 20K or 22 K ohms, one plug wire at 5K ohms and the other had infinite resistance (it was broken). Plug wires normally have a resistance of around 5K ohms per foot of wire. I believe he just replaced the wires and the coil was ok.

Try testing the front coil too, so you have a known good coil and wires to compare reading with.

IMHO, if the rear coil passes the resisitance tests, go ahead and try sealing it with epoxy.

X2 to Daves suggestion to look for a mini light show coming off the coil and high voltage plug wires.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Good info on the coil and wire multimeter testing. I will check them after I dig out my multimeter from my old EE school supplies to make sure they are within the expected range.

I got some 1/4' vacuum caps and after putting one on, I had to change the idle screw because it was idling too high. After that was resolved, the popping on deceleration was gone.

After a couple of days, I started having some problems with the idle RPMs jumping up/down and noticed that the cap was a little loose (and it actually came off today), so I will just go buy some smaller ones or clamp it down with something.

As for the coil, I didn't notice any sparking while running the bike at night, so I think I will just put some e6000/epoxy on it to seal it back up.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement