air/fuel adjuster... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

air/fuel adjuster...

ok so im just gazing through the forums, before the day starts to work on my bike some more and came across some things. my bike still runs at 4k rpm's but not for long. i noticed that inbetween the carbs there is a T-hose setup for air vents to the carbs, my hose in pinched shut in the middle, would this be a problem and possible cause? also the air/mixture screw, what is the proper setting for it, i would like to redo it and back it out myself? and can someone plz send me the link to the forum post to get to the idle needle? thanks! i know i can fix my bike with your guys help, this forum is the best! i will be posting pics of my bike when i get it to run correctly lol. although i can tell some slight mods i did, since im kinda a newbie here so far

1) installed 10" harley struts to make it a hardtail
2) chopped rear fender alot about 5" around
3) custom tail light and relocated to behind the seat more
4) custom blinkers
5) powder coated red rims
6) bike painted flat black
7) harley z-bars - was wondering if i should change to 14" apes ???
8) custom harley headlight
9) custom cut and re-done seat- made into a solo seat and replaced the leather with my own custom cloth with a rubbery cover to go over, and custom brackets to hold it on
10) custom plexy glass back on the seat to relocate license plate onto
11) chopped frame

FUTURE PLANS

1) straight pipes
2) ear shave
3) new handle grips and controls
4) shorter kickstand - since the new struts it barely stands up without falling over because its so low lol
5) raked forks - if anyone knows where to buy the plates plz let me know!!!

again pics are coming soon

Last edited by stuicide09; 08-19-2011 at 03:15 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 02:07 AM
Chucklehead

If the vent hose is pinched off that very well could be the problem. It would create a vacuum in the bowls interupting fuel flow. idle mixture screws should be about 2 1/2 to 3 turns out if I remember correctly (guys feel free to correct me) Hope this helps you get back on the road.

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the fast response. i sure hope this is the issue, and if it is i am going to feel like an idiot, after i took the carbs off about 7 times and missed so many beautiful days of riding.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 02:26 AM
If only it had 6th gear..

Those vent tubes are easy to pinch. Believe me..... I know :/. Hay you gotta put some pics up soon then. I want to see what you've done to it. I love these bikes customized or bobbed. Gotta sleep now. Can't believe I'm stil up! What's with that? Oh yeah, forum addiction
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 02:44 AM

x2 on the pics. Would love to see what you've done to yours.

The idle mix screws as far as i've read are supposed to be about 1 5/8 turns out for a stock setup. Once the pipes are modded go out to about 2 1/2 turns. I have mine out at 2 for rear and 2 1/4 for front cylinder to get the popping minimized.

Louie

1995 VN750 - Work in Progress
2001 BN125 - Learning Bike
2004 GL1800 - All Done
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lphernan View Post
x2 on the pics. Would love to see what you've done to yours.

The idle mix screws as far as i've read are supposed to be about 1 5/8 turns out for a stock setup. Once the pipes are modded go out to about 2 1/2 turns. I have mine out at 2 for rear and 2 1/4 for front cylinder to get the popping minimized.
1 5/8 out is usually very lean on a stock bike, at least on mine. 2 1/2- 3 out is good, plugs are a light tan. Marbling will stop the backfiring.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

ok,so i got home and immediatly checked that hose out. a lil pinched but not fully closed, so i replaced it, and same turn out. still revs at 4k rpms. BUT....... i did notice that i remembered last night looking at the cabs diagrams and noticed something odd!?!? in this diagram https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...to=681&cat=548 there is a idle mixture screw that can be accessed from the outside of the bike. my carbs have those spots but no screw there, it looks like it may be put in from the inside or plugged. i will post when i figure it out lol. time to take them carbs off
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuicide09 View Post
ok,so i got home and immediatly checked that hose out. a lil pinched but not fully closed, so i replaced it, and same turn out. still revs at 4k rpms. BUT....... i did notice that i remembered last night looking at the cabs diagrams and noticed something odd!?!? in this diagram https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...to=681&cat=548 there is a idle mixture screw that can be accessed from the outside of the bike. my carbs have those spots but no screw there, it looks like it may be put in from the inside or plugged. i will post when i figure it out lol. time to take them carbs off
The air/fuel mixture screw is adjusted from outside the carb. There is a factory metal seal covering it on each carb. I drill a small hole into it ( not deep ) and pluck it out with a sharp awl.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

oh ok, thanks for that knoweledge. i guess i will just keep the covered until i get another issue. but on the other hand

MY BIKE RUNS PERFECT!!! THANK YOU VN750.COM MEMBERS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!

The Issue? after much necessary tinkering around, i decided to go with the start all over method. I pulled the carbs, tank, and petcock, and air filters. Air filters were fine, the tank was not rusty anymore but i decided to seafoam it for good measures. i let it sit while i worked on the carbs. i pulled the entire setup apart and seen it was a lil dirty looking, so i ran out and got some carb and choke cleaner. they were starting to look really nice now, and i came across the jets in the carbs. i pulled the small fat one out - it was clean, then the long skinny one with the super small filter inside - CLOGGED SOLID! in both carbs they needed to be cleaned. once i cleaned them out and finished the rest of the carbs i re assembled them and set them back in place. emptied the seafoam out and rinsed with fresh gas. took off the petcock dis-assembled it and cleaned that out to. put everything back together and added fresh gas yet again, turned the idle down just a smidge bcuz when it did run correct it was just a tad high and wouldnt u know it started right up! it ran like i have never heard before. the throttle response was so crisp and the motor sounded so good. i believe the seafoam must have really cleaned some internal parts and helped out to. i really want to say thanks to everyone who had an input in my long but much accomplished journey. without u guys i would have not done this.

P.S. i rode it all day ....... time to work on some pictures!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Chucklehead

Regular Seafoam treatments help keep you from going through that too often. Now get out and ride .... a clean bike is the sign of not enough riding.

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement