Fuel inlet fiitting VN 700 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Fuel inlet fiitting VN 700

I was changing over my fuel lines today, when the one fitting on carb snapped off (frickin plastic ?). I noticed that the other carb was already refitted with a new brass elbow.
Need advice, Should I replace w/stock, or go with the brass ? have a few brass which may work, if not, local hardware has em. Opinions requested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I was changing over my fuel lines today, when the one fitting on carb snapped off (frickin plastic ?). I noticed that the other carb was already refitted with a new brass elbow.
Need advice, Should I replace w/stock, or go with the brass ? have a few brass which may work, if not, local hardware has em. Opinions requested.
Brass for sure.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Cool...

Will take me longer to get er done, but it IS the better way, I know. Got the carbs hanging off the T-cables now, so almost there...just wish I knew if the old was threaded or pressed....guess I'lll find out soon. Just wanna get a few good rides in before the snow flies (not that it'll stiop me)....
....Thanks !....

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

hey...

Instead of drilling and tapping, I got an o-ring for 75c, layed it on what was left in the gap between the serrated sections (screamed for an o-ring), heated the clear plastic fuel line so pliable, slipped it over and clamped it. Hope will work. (saw that on a Harley site).
Just probs rehooking throttle cables now. Accelerator fine, cant see end piece for decellerator. Stupid designs. Everything is hidden and burried. And no dang kick starter !!!! Do I need to take carbs off again ?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Didnt work....

It didnt leak, but the line needed to bend so much around the other intake, it restricted flow to nothing....going to need to remove again, extract old, tap, and install a brass 90....only way....damn...was hoping to be riding in a week. Tough when you live on $40/wk....I'll git her though....

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Will take me longer to get er done, but it IS the better way, I know. Got the carbs hanging off the T-cables now, so almost there...just wish I knew if the old was threaded or pressed....guess I'lll find out soon. Just wanna get a few good rides in before the snow flies (not that it'll stiop me)....
....Thanks !....
Yer headed the right direction, from your other posts. As for pressed or threaded, the brass the plastic is on is pressed into the float holder body. You'll need to drill and tap. I found right angled fittings, 5/16" nipple, 1/8" pipe thread, at O'Reilly's, but not every O'Reilly's has 'em. Ace might.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

check this out...

I found this at a Harley forum....apparently newer Harleys used same carb and had same issues...all my Harleys were pre '72...

http://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com/fuel_elbow.htm

And I got a custom shop 10 miles south of here that has em in stock for $22...soon as I get the cash and hitch down there, will be ridin....

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 06:09 AM

Hmmm...I think I like that better than using the cheaper right angle nipples, even tho it is more expensive. Gonna have to check and see if anyone around here has those; I've got two carbs with busted fuel inlets.

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

There are a few.

Ive seen them online avail thru mail order for as low as $8 plus shipping, but they dont have the removal tool. Ive seen kits for $32 with a real fancy removal tool. Wide range to pick from. But I like the ones specifically for Harleys since the ID is the largest for best flow. Any custom Harley shop shoud have em (mebbe even some dealers). Just make sure to bring the old one with you to make certain of a good match.

http://www.orangecustomcycle.com/Ora...ductId=-298610

http://www.cv-performance.com/Carbur...let_Elbow.html

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

Both of the plastic fittings are busted off my carbs as well. I was able to purchase new fuel line and attach to the exposed brass nipple hose clamps without any problems. The hose was thick enough where it would not kink.

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement