Fuel Level Sending Unit Crossreference - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Level Sending Unit Crossreference

I'm pretty sure I've got a bad fuel level sender. My gauge quit, so I pulled the sender and put an ohm meter on it. Got nothing regardless of float arm position.

So, I checked ebay for a replacement, but pickins are thin for an '86 VN750. There are, however lots of units for newer models that look the same as mine. Does anyone know if Kawasaki used the same sending unit on different bikes over the years?

2003 Ducati ST4s
1982 Yamaha Virago 920
1978 Kawasaki KZ200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:49 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the same unit fits all year models. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you tried putting a jumper wire across the pins on the fuel gauge side of the plug? If the gauge needle moves up to full, then at least you know the gauge is actually working and isolates the sending unit as bad. **Just don't keep the jumper wire in the plug for too long so no damage occurs.

John

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 02:19 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Mine is a 2000 and I bought a sender from six6six if u want to check his year. I know its older and I had no problems.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Chucklehead

They are all the same. But if you are halfway capable with a soldering iron the repair isn't too hard. It's usually one of the brass connections on the end of the resistor wire under the shield.

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:35 AM

I just fixed my sending unit. I should have taken pics but i was already done and ready to test it b4 I even thought about it. I had to add a wire from the base up to the right side of the windings where the winding's wire can be seen soldered to the assy. Pretty easy fix if you're electronically competent. If not, find a friend that is and he should be able to get it done in no time.

Louie

1995 VN750 - Work in Progress
2001 BN125 - Learning Bike
2004 GL1800 - All Done
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:25 AM
If only it had 6th gear..

I thought about messing with mine, but it looked really bad so I wanted it outa there. Should have taken it apart to check out the guts tho. Good info tho, thanks.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, fellas.

Yes johnm, I jumped the gauge side and my gauge went straight to full. Gotta be the sender, right?

I was afraid to tear the sender apart because I didn't know if I could seal it back up. But, it sounds like these are pretty easy to repair, so I don't have anything to lose.

Dragon, when you say "under the shield" are you refering to the plastic shield exterior to the tank, or the metal cover inside the tank?

I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

2003 Ducati ST4s
1982 Yamaha Virago 920
1978 Kawasaki KZ200
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

I took my sending unit apart and checked the components with an ohm meter. The problem seems to be the rivet that holds the positive side of the coil to the baseplate and the pigtail wire. That being the case, lphernan's solution would probably be the ticket.

I've got a soldering iron and am pretty handy at basic wiring, but wasn't able to make this work. the iron is hot enough to melt the surrounding plastic parts, but not hot enough to get solder to flow from the rivet to the brass strap it holds in place. Probably just my inexperience, but I've given up on fixing my old sender and have a new one on order.

I also found the ground to be a bit flakey. It appears that the float arm's contact with the housing is the ground path, and since this is a relatively loose fit, it's a bit intermittent. I'm not impressed with the overall design of this unit.

2003 Ducati ST4s
1982 Yamaha Virago 920
1978 Kawasaki KZ200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement