question on engine want start - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

question on engine want start

I have a 03 VN 750. When I bought the bike it had a rusty tank and the former owner said it needed carb jet cleaning. I think the bike had been sitting up for a while. At that time it would start and run. I bought some Sea Foam and put in tank. I rode it about 25 miles and everything was going good. All of the sudden then engine started hesitating and finally cut off. I got it re- started and rode it about 100 yards and it died again. Then it wouldn't start. I have pulled the tank and am going to clean the tank out. I was looking at the carb and seeing how compacted it is in the frame. Is there a way to clean the carb possibly by using Sea foam without taking the carbs. off the bike? Someone suggested Mechanic in a bottle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Nateloggg

Many people on here have had success filling the carbs with straight sea foam and letting them sit over night. I would suggest you just remove them though, and do a thorough cleaning. It can be a little over whelming at first, but once you do it the first time, you will see it isn't that bad.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the advice Nat. I am trying to get too the carb.. There is a black air box(?) sitting on top of the carbs.. I can't get the airbox off to get to the carbs. I was planning to run some seafoam through the carbs. if I can get to them.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 04:20 PM

rig you up a coke bottle!..drill two holes slightly smaller than the hose you want to plug into them.. then connect the hoses to the 2 hoses going to the carbs.... put some seafoam in the bottle and let it fill the carbs... crank her over and let it run... she will smoke like mad but that should do about as good as you can without pulling the carbs.

one trick to getting the air box out of the way.. take a broom handle or something like it and wedge it under the air box and over the frame in the back..its still gonna be tricky but this will help... or hack the sucker out of there and do an Ear shave!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Hi Bristol:

Nate gave sage advice. If the bike has been sitting for a while, rusting, ... you would be well served to remove and give those carbs a good cleaning and inspection. It would take a lot of seafoam to get rust specs out of the jets and other orfices. You should probably replace the air filters as well. They tend to get crumbly over time. Don't forget to oil the new ones.

The enrichener and needle valve diaphrams can be inspected too while you have the carbs out. Dry rot could suddenly strand you some day if left unchecked.

Be sure to get and follow directions for all procedures. It helps to reduce effort and forgetfullness.

Safe riding ...

~~C8> Ratt
Will Do: MOSFET, Horns, Shave(maybe)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement