Rejet: or not to Rejet - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Clint '89

Rejet: or not to Rejet

So I've been in the process of rebuilding my bike for most of the month. I recently shaved the ears and coastered in addition to some cosmetic changes, looking forward to spacing the pickups. But this is a carb question, at this stage the bike runs lean and from what I've been told I run the risk of burning through my pistons. I'd like to get the best milage milage as mechanically possible, at this stage, but went ahead and ordered the jets last month. I've been sitting on the carburator rebuilding, and can't really afford anything new I gave a nearly full can of carb and choke cleaner, plenty of time and willpower. Should I wait till I can spend money on the rebuilding?

Is it possible for me to tune and clean the carbs without what I may have lying around this week, or should I wait till I can get a mercury tuning gauge.

Also the question about staying with stock jets or should I change to the 42/142's and ride her easy, I really like to putt along in lower rpms in third gear, and the feel of the thunder and inertia.

I scheduled my Motor cycle skills test on the 4th of August, I've owned the bike for two summers this being the third I thought I should at least be legal.

"Someone once told me that watching the birds fly, made them want to go on a journey."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 03:21 PM

It's really a matter of preference in some cases, but since you did the earshave, I'd go ahead and rejet; you're gonna be running even leaner than you were stock, if you don't, and performance will suffer also.

Even stock, with the stock air filters, I like to step the mains up from 132s to the 135s used in the 700.

YMMV

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourselfish View Post

Also the question about staying with stock jets or should I change to the 42/142's and ride her easy, I really like to putt along in lower rpms in third gear, and the feel of the thunder and inertia.
Don't even think about it...do it!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Clint '89

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoIP Doc View Post
Don't even think about it...do it!
Ok! And about the expences for cleaning and mostly the timing/tuning/calibration? Will the can of carb and choke and a screw driver 'float' me? Should I reschedule the test till after my next paycheck for the timing tool?

"Someone once told me that watching the birds fly, made them want to go on a journey."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourselfish View Post
So I've been in the process of rebuilding my bike for most of the month. I recently shaved the ears and coastered in addition to some cosmetic changes, looking forward to spacing the pickups. But this is a carb question, at this stage the bike runs lean and from what I've been told I run the risk of burning through my pistons. I'd like to get the best milage milage as mechanically possible, at this stage, but went ahead and ordered the jets last month. I've been sitting on the carburator rebuilding, and can't really afford anything new I gave a nearly full can of carb and choke cleaner, plenty of time and willpower. Should I wait till I can spend money on the rebuilding?

Is it possible for me to tune and clean the carbs without what I may have lying around this week, or should I wait till I can get a mercury tuning gauge.

I scheduled my Motor cycle skills test on the 4th of August, I've owned the bike for two summers this being the third I thought I should at least be legal.
You can easily build your own manometer/carb sync tool for just a few $.
See link to powerchutes in the vulcan verses link:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1084
http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 10:54 AM

re-jet

I did the same as you except I removed the airbox. The carbs came out easily.
I also have aftermarket exhaust. 2 washers on needle, #42 main jet,
#142 Pilot. the plugs show slight dark gray on the edge and clean gray on the tip.
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

As a a general rule, any time you change the intake or exhaust, you should adjust your jetting. Unless something is actually "broken" then you should not need to rebuild your carbs. As far as balancing using an actual carb balancing tool, either home made or store bought, while it does give you the best possible balance, you can also get a good balance without any tools. "Bench balancing" is using the old Mark 1 eyeball to ensure that the butterflies open and close together and the same amount.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegman View Post
I did the same as you except I removed the airbox. The carbs came out easily.
I also have aftermarket exhaust. 2 washers on needle, #42 main jet,
#142 Pilot. the plugs show slight dark gray on the edge and clean gray on the tip.
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
You must have a lot of power at idle and not much top end with that jet configuration. lol

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 03:24 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
You must have a lot of power at idle and not much top end with that jet configuration. lol
Lmao, I listed my jets wrong when I posted about them too ha,ha
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCruzin View Post
As a a general rule, any time you change the intake or exhaust, you should adjust your jetting. Unless something is actually "broken" then you should not need to rebuild your carbs. As far as balancing using an actual carb balancing tool, either home made or store bought, while it does give you the best possible balance, you can also get a good balance without any tools. "Bench balancing" is using the old Mark 1 eyeball to ensure that the butterflies open and close together and the same amount.
I remember KnifeMaker giving this same advice a couple of years ago.
Twin cylinder engines are pretty easy to syncronize just by eyeballing the butterflies.

A 3 or 4 cylinder engine is probably better served with a sync tool.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
Sponsored Links
Advertisement