Read many carb post but have not seen this!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Read many carb post but have not seen this!!!

I have a 1986, it has been running fine until I let is sit for about 3 weeks due to weather. Started it and got gas/oil out of the ear. Pulled the plugs and sure enough the front cylinder plugs were fouled, I know that its usually a stuck float. So like any good forum lurker I came here to learn I might be able to do.
I wanted to avoid a carb job if possible so I got some carb cleaner and drained both carbs and got gas out of each. Pulled the fuel lines from the petcock and opened the drain plug on the carb for the rear cylinder and the cleaner drained out just as pretty and clean as it went in...however not so on the carb for the front.
The cleaner backed up in the fuel line. I can not even get cleaner into the carb from the fuel line. Pulled line and it is not clogged. I got a clean piece of line and attached to carb and could not even blow into it. I tried putting the cleaner up the drain nipple. I removed the drain screw and and cover the whole with my finger and sprayed cleaner up the drain nipple and could not get any in that way either.

I have already pulled the plugs and turned her over to get the gas out of the cylinders and changed the oil...I have not tried to crank her over at all since putting in the fresh oil and filter.....Here's to hoping someone here may be able to help me out!!!! I am confused as to how it can flood like that and now I cant get anything into the carb.

Thanks for any insights yall may have....the info here has proven invaluable to a non mechanic like myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 08:25 PM

Im wondering if somehow its plugged up inside the carb. Without removing the carb you can remove the float bowl cover. I would pull the front carbs float bowl cover and see if any fuel or otherwise is still inside the bowl. If not try getting some cleaner through and see if it comes out at all. Others use seafoam which you can put in the tank like a fuel additive and let her run to cycle it into the carbs let it sit for a bit then drain or ride it out. If not you may need to do a full carb clean. I know these carbs are vac. operated so maybe theres something that closes when the vac. isnt present??? I'm no expert though. Hang in there I'm sure someone out there has had a similar problem and can help.

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod
Malteese led Turn Signals (Rear)
Paid 750.00$ for her in 2005 w/ 9k
Currently @ 23k and counting

Last edited by Stones750; 07-21-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: missed info
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response, but I do have a question...How do you get to the float bowl cover with the surge tank right there over the carbs? I know a full carb clean is best but would like to avoid it till the end of the season. Will likely shave the ears then.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

I just read on here that some folks have had success putting cleaner or seafoam down the carb vent hose that goes to the right ear....I put carb cleaner down there and was able to drain cleaner from both carbs...still can not get anything down the front carb fuel line. I have put seafoam down both fuel lines and the vent line...will let sit while intermitantly going by and tapping the front carb with a screw driver handle to see if that will get things going.

If this does not work I guess I have to pull the carbs after all....but I really dont wnat to tackle that....local dealer wants $400 just to pull the carbs plus whatever they do to the carbs!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement